Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 11:17 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Because she's TWELVE years old.
Smacking your head is not an argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 10:26 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
If all the legal requirements were met and the two people directly affected consent, then I don't see the problem. If the young woman or the man, or both decide it is not working out at some point in the future, there is always the option of a divorce. It is not as if she is being condemned to prison.
The crux of the problem is when did the relationship begin. The age difference is one of opinion and that is reflected in the comments. If the relationship began and existed while there was a teacher/student relationship it is clearly illegal and a violation of both criminal and school system policy. The issues regarding age are subjective the issues regarding their status prior to the marriage is perhaps criminal and thus objective.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:27 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
What could they even talk about while driving down the road and understand each other?WHAT could they possibly have in common?Still seems like a pervert deal to me.
Well since they both enjoy running that is a beginning point for conversation and time together.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:31 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
Hey at least the 16 year old is with a guy that can provide for her. Rather than some 18 year old kid for a husband that has no direction, no job, no home etc. Chances are she won't become a ward of the state living on welfare and trying to raise 2 or 3 kids. Chances are he'll die off in 20 or 30 years leaving her financially secure right? It's a win win people. And not more than a 100 years ago this was quite common. Matter of fact in many countries outside the US it is still quite common.
Americans can be so weird with stuff that really doesn't matter. My wife is half my age. She was happy about the fact she was the 4th generation on her mothers side...to marry a 40 year old while in her 20's.
I'll admit this 16 year old could have waited until she was 18...but really if the guy is an honorable husband...what more could the bride and her family hope for?

Old 06-20-2009, 10:41 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
The crux of the problem is when did the relationship begin. The age difference is one of opinion and that is reflected in the comments. If the relationship began and existed while there was a teacher/student relationship it is clearly illegal and a violation of both criminal and school system policy. The issues regarding age are subjective the issues regarding their status prior to the marriage is perhaps criminal and thus objective.
Exactly. I don't think a lot of people in this thread are getting this.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:19 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Exactly. I don't think a lot of people in this thread are getting this.
Not every technical crime is prosecuted. There is also something called "prosecutorial discretion" that a lot of people don't seem to "get".

Old 06-21-2009, 09:01 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
What some people also don't seem to get is that some of us don't consider our high school aged children (or younger) to be fair game for public (or private) school teachers.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:50 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
what they also don't get (and a couple of these posts are creeping me out also) is that children have a right to ENJOY THEIR CHILDHOOD! what part of that is so hard to understand????

they don't need to be exploited for someone else's gratification when they are children. it is the duty of the parent to protect their children from these predators who certainly are not concerned with the rights of children.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:02 AM

37,221 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
what they also don't get (and a couple of these posts are creeping me out also) is that children have a right to ENJOY THEIR CHILDHOOD! what part of that is so hard to understand????

they don't need to be exploited for someone else's gratification when they are children. it is the duty of the parent to protect their children from these predators who certainly are not concerned with the rights of children.
Predators don't usually marry their victiims, do they?

Old 06-22-2009, 04:21 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Predators don't usually marry their victiims, do they?

Ron Price in MD did, multiple times. I tried to find an article about him but couldn't.
He was a teacher in Anne Arundel County, MD who was charged with multiple counts of child sexual abuse about fifteen years ago. He would meet girls as 9th or 10th graders and eventually marry them. Did this four or five times until his then wife, who had been one of those girls, turned him in when he asked for a divorce. The fallout included the then Superintendent of schools who had not investigated a complaint twenty years earlier as a Principal. The ensuing next few years were marked by multiple investigations of other teachers in the system after students filed charges, all but one were cleared. Price was sentenced to, I think, forty years in prison and subsequently died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies