Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 04:41 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times

Advertisements

This would definetly be a good trend in US. Not only would it provide jobs, but it would also provide better customer care.

'Ruralsourcing'....I like the sound of it.

Rural outsourcing helps Arkansas compete with India - Jul. 8, 2010

-- Looking for skilled, low-cost labor? Forget about India and China. How about Jonesboro, Ark.?

As the national unemployment rate hovers near 10%, some companies are starting to eye job-hungry areas of the country as prime candidates for the kind of outsourced work that once would have gone overseas.

Dubbed "ruralsourcing," "rural outsourcing" and "onshoring," the practice relies on two simple premises: Smaller towns need jobs, and they offer a cheaper cost of living than urban centers. So businesses that outsource work to these areas can expect to pay less -- rates are often as much as 25% to 50% lower -- than if they were hiring urbanites with comparable skills

read more in link.....

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 07-08-2010 at 05:54 AM..

Old 07-08-2010, 04:55 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
This would definetly be a good trend in US. Not only would is provide jobs, but it would also provide better customer care.

-- Looking for skilled, low-cost labor? Forget about India and China. How about Jonesboro, Ark.?

As the national unemployment rate hovers near 10%, some companies are starting to eye job-hungry areas of the country as prime candidates for the kind of outsourced work that once would have gone overseas.

Dubbed "ruralsourcing," "rural outsourcing" and "onshoring," the practice relies on two simple premises: Smaller towns need jobs, and they offer a cheaper cost of living than urban centers. So businesses that outsource work to these areas can expect to pay less -- rates are often as much as 25% to 50% lower -- than if they were hiring urbanites with comparable skills

read more in link.....
It is a good idea for lower skilled jobs but I question if that will last for higher skilled jobs. Most people do not go to college for 4 years and get a degree to live in a little town in Arkansas. Some people like it but most would prefer the big city lifestyle. You might end having to pay more to get them to live there.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It is a good idea for lower skilled jobs but I question if that will last for higher skilled jobs. Most people do not go to college for 4 years and get a degree to live in a little town in Arkansas. Some people like it but most would prefer the big city lifestyle. You might end having to pay more to get them to live there.
you do have a point but you only see 1/2 the picture. You would be surprised how many younger people today (especially after marriage) are looking to work in the smaller cities. OF course not when they are first out of college and still enjoying the party scene, but as they have families. They are seeing the benefits of smaller town living. Add to that most mid sized and large cities started out as small towns.

I think you might be wrong. Only time will tell.

Nita

Old 07-08-2010, 05:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I have heard that some Colorado busineses are expanding into New Mexico to save money.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:57 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Why not? If you are a software engineer and can't find a job in a city like Miami, then why not move to Ark, and take the job and live in an affordable town. The big city party scene comes with a high price tag. Might as well get started in a small town and get some experience and then pick your city when you're holding all the cards. I started in Champagne Illinios, which is a small town, but it gave me valuable work experience.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:08 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,305,758 times
I've noticed in recent years, a bunch of retail companies move into the area and establish warehouses for the northeast region. Why? Labor, land, and everything is cheaper here than anywhere else in the Boston to New York corridor.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:24 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,913,619 times
Quote:
Most people do not go to college for 4 years and get a degree to live in a little town in Arkansas. Some people like it but most would prefer the big city lifestyle. You might end having to pay more to get them to live there.
As a person who grew up in a town of 4,000 in rural AR and went to a near-by 4 year college, you would be surprised. A lot of my friends had no interest in leaving the area after graduation. People like me with CIS degrees did have to leave but others with degrees in accounting, nursing, etc stayed. Graduation was quite a while ago and I don't know if I would have stayed but that option would have been nice.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:26 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,047,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
This would definetly be a good trend in US. Not only would it provide jobs, but it would also provide better customer care.

read more in link.....
Excellent post, I hope this catches on.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:45 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:

I'm not sure how accurate that is. My area has a lot to offer in terms of an outdoor lifestyle, lakes, etc. We have a significant number of technical people that have moved to the area that are lucky enough to telecommute. (wish I were one). It all depends on lifestyle choices, but plenty of professional people would refer to stay away from larger urban areas, except for jobs.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:48 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
I'm curious about something...sort of related to the OP. Back in the late 80s and 90s a large number of US companies set up production facilities in Mexican border towns, particularly Jaurez (sp). GM (my old employer) among them. Given the high crime rates and violence this city is now noted for, has anyone heard if some of these businesses are moving back "home"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies