Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 09:55 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,781,549 times

Advertisements

We are going to die one day anyways, banksters' illusion or not lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 10:57 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
You may THINK you are doing well but soon it will all be part of the grand iilusion.
Again, you have a remarkable ability to refute my state in life with nothing of substance. It's not a grand illusion that I'm happy and feel lucky to be here and for the opportunities, it is what it is. You appear to be so set in your "everything sucks" ways that you will completely reject anyone having experience to the contrary, even to the point of telling someone that it is an illusion that they are happy.

If your life sucks that's fine, I feel for you and wish it wasn't that way. However this displacement psychology of everyone else life sucks even if they don't know it is simply retarded.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:35 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
In the 1960s when I was a child, they were called Negros. That is what they called themselves and to have called them anything but a Negro would have been disrespectful. So when I write about my past in the 60's I refer to them in the past tense form. If you read through the whole thing you would see that I in fact refer to them in the present form as black.
Let me be the 1st one to tell you this

Welcome to the 21st century!!!

Old 07-04-2010, 10:30 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Ummm Kev, when was our economy ever based on a 'redistribution of wealth'? Wealth has been obtained by personal achievement, fortitude, perseverence, sacrifice, taking chances etc, but I do not recall ever being 'redistributed' anything. As to equality in the workforce, that was better way back when you say? Blacks, Hispanics etc are afforded LESS opportunity today than in the past? Where did you draw these ...conclusions...from? I find myself in agreement with Katiana that this does not sound like your hypothesis. The whole thing is full of holes you could drive a truck through.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:52 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Ummm Kev, when was our economy ever based on a 'redistribution of wealth'? Wealth has been obtained by personal achievement, fortitude, perseverence, sacrifice, taking chances etc, but I do not recall ever being 'redistributed' anything. As to equality in the workforce, that was better way back when you say? Blacks, Hispanics etc are afforded LESS opportunity today than in the past? Where did you draw these ...conclusions...from? I find myself in agreement with Katiana that this does not sound like your hypothesis. The whole thing is full of holes you could drive a truck through.
The United States economy since the Industrial Revolution has been based upon the redistribution of wealth. It is what made us the country we are. There are many things in that mix but the whole idea is to take money from the rich and distribute it down to the working people. Usually this was accomplished by tax policy and trade unions.
This meant that the indutrialist robber barons were forced to pay both higher wages to the workers and to pay for the highways, schools, police, fire and parks that the working people were then able to utilize to protect their work and to move the next generation up a level in both productivity and knowledge which of course benefitted the very robber baron industrialist that paid for it.
This is what allowed for the United States to radically change from an agricultural society to an industrail society generations before other nations such as China and India would.
One can argue that blacks and Hispanics are afforded more opportunity today to move to a higher levels in our society. There obviously would not have been a President Obama in 1960. But at the same time the capacity for the lessor educated black man has been diminished to the point that he is unable to earn any meanningful living in the neo capitalist U.S. economy while in the 1960's, the Negro who was high school or less educated could in fact get a job at GM, Ford, Boeing or the Kansas City Stock Yards as a butcher apprentice which was in fact a decent paying job because of the wealth distribution of trade unionism.
The black man of today does not have that and in fact a white man with a high school diploma makes more money than a black with a college degree. The fortunes of both races of high school or less males have declined but the black man's have declined much more drastically.
I would argue that in fact much of this has been brought on by the undoing of the redistribution schemes of the past. While the nation has allowed the robber baron class to keep more, it has defunded the things that made it prosperous to begin with including education.
The nation has engaged in destructive- even suicidal- policies both here at home and in the so called "free trade" deals which have allowed the robber baron class to escape American labour markets totally but yet enjoy the fruits of the American consumer markets. Sooner or later the 2 will have to balance out and my fear is the coming big decline I see in the standard of living for the vast majority of Americans.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:15 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
The change from agricultural society to an industrial one didn't happen because of wages it happened because of steam power, mechanization, and transportation networks.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:15 AM

95 posts, read 141,213 times
Quote:
The fact is that the USA these days is like a good looking baked chicken. Looks good, smells better but the meat inside is RAW. The fact is that our country has become a grand illusion. It has been for the past many years but it was able to be patched over to the point that it just fooled many people. Consider the economy- there was once a time when the United States had a REAL economy that was based on work, productivity and wealth redistribution to the working people.
Our industrial base was in fact the anchor of our economy. It employed everybody from high school drop outs in manual labour jobs to Engineers, Managers and other white collar types. The jobs paid well and one could earn a good decent living there. Having come from a blue collar family, there were 4 of us (plus 2 adults) and we had a house and a car and food every day of the year. We took vacations too. And only my dad worked when we were young.
Many people talk about how bad racism was back then but my dad worked side by side with Negros at Boeing who did the same job and earned the same pay he did. Those Negros could not get that job today and neither could a white man with only a high school education. True we have come a long way- no Negro could aspire to be President back then but at the same time we have regressed and been fooled by the illusion that the black is truly equal based upon President Obama, Oprah Winfrey and Tiger Woods while the real truth is that the black male is sufferiing greatly in the New World Order economy.
We have an economy which gives the college graduate the illusion that he will make quick riches if he can only join the banksters but the banksters are a very exclusive club. The movie "Wall Street" is not far from reality. The banksters rule over this country like the Lords of old England. Obama runs nothing, Gordon Gekko runs everything. The banksters buy and sell you and me like chattel slaves. And we act like we should just be so thankful for every little crumb that falls from the Master's table onto our plates.
The banksters have us right where they want us- drunk on pop culture and paying more attention to American Idle than the American economy. They have fostered upon us 100 channels of TV to draw our eyes off them.
For the past 30 years, we have been fooled. We were fooled by the bankster's bubbles. Their dot.com bubbles burst and they replaced that with a housing bubble based on fake loans and fake interest rates. And now that has burst and we are in a world of hurt.
And the sad truth is that the sheeple all think that this is just a "recession" and like all recessions before this one, it will soon go away and we will all hold hands and sing "Happy Days Are Here Again". What we do not realize is that we are in a GLOBAL economy now. The recession may ease but only because the banksters will print up the money and hand it out. Another illusion and another bubble. And when that bubble burst in the way of hyper inflation, we will ALL be in DEEP stuff.
So let us all go out and shoot fire crackers and sing Yankee Doodle Dandy this weekend. Let us all ignore reality of the New World Order and lets us celebrate THE GRAND ILLUSION!

Even with all of these problems, people die to get to the USA.

I hate to break it to you, but we have been in a global economy for forever. It is just easier now to get cheap labor, with cheap transportation, and political double standards.

When China and Mexico's working class outprice themselves, like the Unions have in the United States, The next target for cheap labor will be the underclass of South America.

Don't complain about our problems, unless you are going to actively try to solve them. This does mean avoiding consumption of products and services of one of the biggest sellouts of our economy: WalMart

Old 07-04-2010, 11:19 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Hey guys, don't you want a capitalist market where the government doesn't stick its nose into the affairs of private business? In a world like that, resources go to where the return on investment is the greatest (i.e., overseas), and large banks do whatever they can get away with that is in their best interest.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:48 PM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Again, you have a remarkable ability to refute my state in life with nothing of substance. It's not a grand illusion that I'm happy and feel lucky to be here and for the opportunities, it is what it is. You appear to be so set in your "everything sucks" ways that you will completely reject anyone having experience to the contrary, even to the point of telling someone that it is an illusion that they are happy.

If your life sucks that's fine, I feel for you and wish it wasn't that way. However this displacement psychology of everyone else life sucks even if they don't know it is simply retarded.
You have to read some of Kev's posts to understand him. He doesn't make $100,000 a year so he thinks anyone who does is not paying enough taxes. And , because he isn't capable of earning any more money, nobody should. And anyone who makes over $250,000 don't "earn it", they got that way because of family, and should be taxed at 85%.

The have nots are always jealous of the haves.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:48 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You have to read some of Kev's posts to understand him. He doesn't make $100,000 a year so he thinks anyone who does is not paying enough taxes. And , because he isn't capable of earning any more money, nobody should. And anyone who makes over $250,000 don't "earn it", they got that way because of family, and should be taxed at 85%.

The have nots are always jealous of the haves.
Item 1: Kev doesn't make $100,000 a year. This is correct. I have come close in a few years. Made $92,000 one year with lots of overtime.

Item 2: Kev thinks anybody that makes $100,000 a year does not pay enough taxes. Partially true. I actually think that those who make more than $107,000 does not pay enough taxes because they are exempt from paying Social Security taxes on what they make over $107,000. The cap should be completely removed.

Item 3: Kev is not capable of earning more than he makes now.
. Not true. I could work more overtime if I wanted. I might even be able to work another job on my days off. I just choose not to. I don't live to work. I work to live.

Item 4: Kev thinks that anybody that makes over $250,000 a year did not earn it and got it from family. Not true. I know that many small business owners can make $250,000 a year. I do however believe in the "death tax". It only applies to multi millionaires and large estates should be taxed when they transfer. The sons did not build the empire.

Item 5: Kev thinks that people that make more than $250,000 a year should be taxed at 85%. Not true. People that make between $250,000 and $300,000 should pay in the area of about 26%. Only people that make more than $1 million a year should pay 50%. The super rich that make more than $10 million a year should pay the top rate of 60%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies