Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:31 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times

Advertisements

Our dear Military is charging the private that leaked the video tape of the helicopter assault on civilians . Guess the government isnt so fond of whistle blowing, especially when it is their whistle being blown.

When a solider is given a bad command it is his duty to not comply. It is his duty to do the "right thing" as we discoursed at Nuremberg.

It was his duty to release this info. He did the right thing and I have no qualms about not supporting a government that wishes to prosecute him. This is intolerable, as was the behavior in that helicopter.

Military: U.S. soldier to be charged in leak of strike video – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

I have written my support of this private, I urge others to do the same,

http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact

Last edited by AONE; 07-06-2010 at 09:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 09:37 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Our dear Military is charging the private that leaked the video tape of the helicopter assault on civilians . Guess the government isnt so fond of whistle blowing, especially when it is their whistle being blown.

When a solider is given a bad command it is his duty to not comply. It is his duty to do the "right thing" as we discoursed at Nuremberg.

It was his duty to release this info. He did the right thing and I have no qualms about not supporting a government that wishes to prosecute him. This is intolerable, as was the behavior in that helicopter.

Military: U.S. soldier to be charged in leak of strike video – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs
1) it is likely that the military considered that "classified information" which he is under obligation not to reveal.

2) the people giving the orders decide whether they're legal or not--the servicemember's duty is to follow them without question...unless perhaps they need help interpreting those orders.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:41 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
you do realize that the video that cnn used was edited right? it doesnt show that there were indeed insurgents in the area carrying not only AK47's but RPGs as well. but the military is not charging him with whistle blowing but rather releasing classified data, among other things. it is one thing to disobey and order that tells you to kill innocent women and children, it is quite another to release classified data, even if it seems damning after editing.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:42 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,442 times
Quote:
The U.S. military said Tuesday it is pressing criminal charges against Pfc. Bradley E. Manning, 22, for allegedly transferring classified data onto his personal computer and adding unauthorized software to a classified computer system.
Manning of Potomac, Maryland, is suspected of leaking a classified 2007 video of an Apache helicopter strike that killed 12 civilians in Baghdad, including two journalists from the Reuters wire service, the military said.
The above bolded part is the problem I have. Classified means just that. They have to make an example of him because what's to stop someone else from doing the same thing but with information that could be detrimental to the troops?

He took a stand and I respect that. Maybe I just don't remember but was there a controversy about this?

Old 07-06-2010, 09:46 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
1) it is likely that the military considered that "classified information" which he is under obligation not to reveal.

2) the people giving the orders decide whether they're legal or not--the servicemember's duty is to follow them without question...unless perhaps they need help interpreting those orders.
Actually a service member is allowed to question an order if they feel it is wrong. was taught that in basic. if a service member is given an order that goes against morals or against the uniform code of military justice they are supposed to question it, and have the right to refuse said order

Old 07-06-2010, 09:52 AM

So was I. And I've watched as people questioning orders went up to mast.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:52 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
the people giving the orders decide whether they're legal or not
bzzzt

YouTube - The Price is Right losing horn

Old 07-06-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
So was I. And I've watched as people questioning orders went up to mast.
Yup, you risk your life and security if you choose to be a true patriot and disobey questionable orders.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:56 AM

^Thus, you're better off just following orders.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
^Thus, you're better off just following orders.
Not really, but whatever makes you feel better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies