Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should creationism be taught in public schools?
Yes 71 19.09%
No 295 79.30%
I don't know/No opinion 6 1.61%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 03:41 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times

Advertisements

[quote=TRUEGRITT;15239195]
Quote:
Very honest and huge statement, something to think about for sure.

I would say it like this...How can you see a garden so beautiful that you cannot wonder who created it. Is it so hard to believe in creation?
No, in fact it is far too easy. That's the problem. People just assume it without really examining the evidence. It's the same thing that stops me from being an atheist, but there's nothing logical or scientific about it.

Quote:
I remember the first time I saw the mountains close up...I had a close encounter with God. Now, like most scientist, I wonder how he does things which brings me back to your original statement. "I don't think we can know, and perhaps we are not meant to."
Most days, I really don't give a damn anyway.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:41 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,192,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Not quite. You can see when someone is clearly not thinking right and to say "they just don't think as I do" is overly generous. I know some idiots, and I'm going to say they are beneath me mentally. It's just a fact.
How do you place yourself in a position to judge or know that someone is mentally inferior to you? Do you simply apply that rule to anyone who is not mainstream or those who simply do not believe as you do.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:43 PM

[quote=TRUEGRITT;15238972]
Quote:
All explanations given in the end lacked some element of fact.

Fact A + Fact B + ? = flawed fact Close...but doesn't get there. The ?, makes it malleable.

Facts are not malleable.
But their interpretation is.

Quote:
Again, if you do not think as I do you are beneath me.
Oh stop it. There are some opinions that I think are so baseless that they do not deserve respect. Biblical literalism is one of them, IMHO, so I don't give it respect, because it's just insane.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post

No, in fact it is far too easy. That's the problem. People just assume it without really examining the evidence. It's the same thing that stops me from being an atheist, but there's nothing logical or scientific about it.
Oh, I see, things have to be difficult.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
Oh, I see, things have to be difficult.
A lot of the science behind evolution isn't trivial.

Not everyone can understand genetics, for example. Or higher math. Or the law.

This is why people like Calvinist are so incredibly irritating. They really DON'T know the science at all, but that doesn't stop them from concluding point blank that it's all "wrong."

Dishonest AND lazy.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
But their interpretation is.
????

Quote:
Oh stop it. There are some opinions that I think are so baseless that they do not deserve respect. Biblical literalism is one of them, IMHO, so I don't give it respect, because it's just insane.
Do you know how much adding "IMHO" changes things. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
A lot of the science behind evolution isn't trivial.

Not everyone can understand genetics, for example. Or higher math. Or the law.

This is why people like Calvinist are so incredibly irritating. They really DON'T know the science at all, but that doesn't stop them from concluding point blank that it's all "wrong."

Dishonest AND lazy.
I can't speak for Calvinists but for me I have a mixture of strong faith along with wonder. God and science go together for me like steak and potatoes. In fact I believe that God is the ultimate scientist. He is capable of using his entire brain while we humans only use about 10% of it. What do you think about that?

If it turns out that the BB theory is FACT then to me it will mean science discovered how God created the universe.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:00 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
If it turns out that the BB theory is FACT then to me it will mean science discovered how God created the universe.
What if someone chooses not to call that entity God? Why use the word God as opposed to, say, "something"?

Old 07-28-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
What if someone chooses not to call that entity God? Why use the word God as opposed to, say, "something"?
I don't know, why do you call your parents Mom and Dad, or Father and Mother? Why are some people on earth called Gods like Rock Gods? I suspect it is out of reverence.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:09 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
By discovering evidence that contradicts it. So far, that has not happened, despite the fallacious claims of Creationists.
Except the hoaxes that show that supposed "missing links" were not real? Oh..I'm sorry.....we just have no proof of it being REAL. So, really..you're arguing from silence.

Quote:

Another way would be to discover another as yet unknown mechanism that explains the facts better than evolution does, but...if you really do understand evolution (and you clearly do not), you would understand that it really isn't possible for any other explanation to fit those facts. Evolution is the only scientific theory that explains them.
I honestly doubt you really understand it yourself, to be honest. If you did you'd realize it's a hoax.
Quote:
Even better, we've tested it in the lab and found it to be true. You can ignore those results (linked to several times already in this thread), but reality will chug along just fine without your belief in it.
Explain it IN YOUR OWN WORDS please!!!!!!!! Can you? you've provided a few links showing a contrived test supposedly supports what? The whole evolutionary theory? Or just one thing?
Quote:

Non-intersecting branes, a previous Universe, etc. There have been some amazing discoveries in particle physics and string theory that hold a lot of promise to explain what existed before the Singularity. At the moment, I find the brane theory most persuasive.
lol....honestly. That's the best you've got? Really? And before that? You just keep pushing the big question back further.

This is a joke, really. Use the noggin that God gave ya.

Quote:

This we DO know: E=mc^2.
not quite. Show me where the energy came from to create that mass.
Quote:

No, you really, really are not. I know you like to think you are, but frankly you have done nothing but trot out the same old refuted arguments.
You have yet to answer the most basic question I'm asking. How did it all begin?
Quote:

What you have done is convince me that your education in the sciences is very, very lacking.
And your ability to think critically appears to be very very lacking. All you've done is regurgitate what your 10th grade science teacher taught you.
Quote:

No, Creationism is not a viable explanation. It is a mere guess without evidence to support it, and moreover, is untestable. This does not make it a viable option.
Disprove it then. Please. I beg you to.
Quote:

And there always will be, and that doesn't disprove evolution. This is yet another classic, refuted, illogical Creationist argument.
CC200: Transitional fossils
CC201: Phyletic gradualism

What it does prove is that Creationists don't understand paleontology either. If they did, they wouldn't be Creationists.
Shall I go find some misguided "scientists" that claimed they had it all? Maybe the last few guys that came up with their "missing links"?
Quote:

I know enough to know what you are. And good luck getting me to shut up, junior. I'll grant you are trying to be philosophical, but you are a stranger to logic and your knowledge of science is laughable.
Fine....don't put up and keep on babbling. Your ignorance is on display.

Quote:

Sure you do. You are incredibly transparent.
Am I? You have yet to answer my first question.
Quote:
Actually it isn't. The BB has evidence to support it. Goddidit does not. Oh, and chemistry and physics are not random.
Again...you continue to do this stupid strawman argument.

You think "bigbangdidit" is a good argument? OK....who caused the big bang?

Don't be afraid to admit you are wrong, that the evidence is against you. You're too chicken to even bother to learn the science you say is a fairy tale.

I've read the Bible, all of it, more than once.
Have you? I honestly doubt you could give me the central message to it, or that you could intelligently discuss it. Sorry...you just don't seem to have a grasp on it.
Quote:

Can you say the same about the evidence for evolution? It's pretty clear to me that you have very little understanding of the topic at all.
Yes. I've seen the evidence. I'm a product of the public school system. I think it came up a few times.
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's obvious to everyone else here too.
Honestly? You're using strawman arguments. You seem to have no clue on how to actually answer the question I asked. You redefine it to say what you want so you can mock it and pretend to be smart.

just answer the question. How did it all begin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies