Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:51 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,340,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I’m not asking this in an attempt to start a thread of animosity and hatred, but I’d rather like to really understand the mindset of some whites here at CD. For the threads that I’ve entered regarding slavery, there seems to be an inevitable outcry by some to “get over it and stop playing the victim” whenever someone posts anything related to slavery. So my question for non-Black CD’ers:

When will it be okay for blacks on this board to post threads regarding slavery, the finding of slave artifacts, the troubled beginnings of blacks in America, etc WITHOUT

-posts telling us to “get over it”
-posts telling us to “stop playing the victim”
-posts reminding us that Africans had slaves and in fact sold slaves to Europeans who brought them to America
-posts telling us that they shouldn’t be made to pay for the crime of their ancestors and are “sick of being blamed”
-posts telling us about other races, nationalities, etc who had it bad

Can intelligent whites on this board not recognize the desire to discuss slavery WITHOUT any ulterior motives? Can a discussion about slavery simply be a discussion about slavery and have absolutely nothing to do with 1) blaming contemporary white people 2) wallowing in self-pity 3) using it as a crutch for current black problems, etc.

To restate my thread title: When can blacks discuss slavery without being accused of victimhood or living in the past?
At some time in the future, when black Americans have achieved sufficient parity with white Americans that there is no longer a need to artificially "level the playing field" with any affirmative action efforts. As long as black Americans are given special consideration in anything, in an effort to correct past injustices, there will be resentful white Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 11:52 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
When can blacks discuss slavery without being accused of victimhood or living in the past?[/font]
at the same time they can admit that jews were slaves, that the italians and irish of the late 1800's were slaves,, at the same time they can admit how the indians were treated.... the same time they can admitt that slavey, is a product of african blacks SELLING the blacks to the english

Old 07-12-2010, 11:54 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,340,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
at the same time they can admit that jews were slaves, that the italians and irish of the late 1800's were slaves, the same time they can admitt that slavey, is a product of other blacks SELLING the balcks
Source, please.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:57 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
The problems that I have observed in every discussion about slavery is that it always turns into one side saying you owe us and the other side saying get over it.
Fact. No former slaves are alive today.
What is owed? Well we do owe the black community the same respect and open mindedness that we would extend to any other community. We owe blacks the same rights and opprotunities that we ourselves enjoy.
Fact. Get over it is a slap in the face. We need to recognize our past in order to learn from it. Get over it might have been possible were it not for the many many lynchings after the fact. Were it not for the second class citizen treatment for 100 years after the fact.
Fact. There are black folks alive today who were forced to endure repeated humiliations at the hands of Law enforcement and at work. How does one get over that????
Fact. Todays whites don't owe todays blacks any monetary compensation for slavery. We didn't do it, didn't encourage it didn't even witness it. In other words we are innocent of it. That said pretending no harm no foul is in order is just wrong.
What do blacks owe themselves? Well for one hold those within your own community accountable for making the majority look bad. Sharpton and Jackson hardly improve or work to improve your image. Its a shame that they get the press. Mr. Colin Powell however is a role model for all to follow and he gets no credit.
As a vet I had the honor of serving with, living with and having black men for friends. I can honestly say that my best friend in the service was a black man and an outstanding human being. His family was extraordinary. All hard working honest people. None used excuses none wanted handouts none expected any either. My friend died in the line of duty and no doubt I am alive today because of him many times over.
Slavery is a dark smudge on our history. It was a different time and a different mentality. Even 40 years ago a black man as president was unthinkable. Yet today here we stand the most powerful man on earth is a black man. We have come a long long ways.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:00 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,656 times
Which slavery would you like to discuss?

Perhaps the origin of the word slave? It comes from the term used to describe Slavic peoples who were once considered a slave race. How about the Irish who've been enslaved by anyone who could build a few boats? What about Jews? They've got quite a bit of first hand info on slavery. How about modern day slavery in Africa, China, South America, etc. How about the indentured servitude of poor Brits in the 13 colonies? Every ethnicity on the planet has been enslaved at one time or another and many slaves (more precisely, 27 million) of all skin tones are laboring at this very moment so it's sort of like preaching to the choir.

So, do you really want to discuss slavery in general or just Black slavery in the US that was abolished a century and a half ago?

I doubt this thread will make three pages before someone starts blaming every White in the US for every problem ever faced by a Black for the past 300 years. Can you see why it might start wearing a bit thin? Personally I'd be happy to discuss slavery in general from an academic point of view but forgive me if I doubt that is your intent.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:01 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
The short answer to the question is, no time soon.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:01 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,210,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
If this is such a time of peril in your history, why do you want to even talk about it? What exactly is there to talk about?
Wow...so you see no value in discussing significant points in one's history in America? Because it's a painful period in history that is condemned and shameful, it should be brushed under the rug, not to be discussed?

Old 07-12-2010, 12:02 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,210,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyapproved View Post
100 years ago!
Your post confuses me. Exactly what point are you making?

Old 07-12-2010, 12:06 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Your post confuses me. Exactly what point are you making?
Perhaps they meant 136 years plus or minus a few?

Old 07-12-2010, 12:07 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,386,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Source, please.
I can supply one for the Irish:

Drogheda, Battle of - Hutchinson encyclopedia article about Drogheda, Battle of

Drogheda, Battle of

Siege of the southern garrison town of Drogheda, County Louth, by Oliver Cromwell's Parliamentary forces in September 1649, during Cromwell's Irish campaign (1649–50). When the town was taken, 4,000 Irish were massacred, including civilians, soldiers, and Catholic priests. The merciless killing contributed to Catholic Irish hatred of English rule in Ireland.

According to some accounts, by the end of the massacre at Drogheda the English Parliamentary soldiers had killed 4,000 Irish, well in excess of the 2,220 soldiers that Aston had commanded at the start of the siege. Only 30 survivors of the rebels were recognized, and these were sent to work as slaves on the sugar island of Barbados in the Caribbean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies