Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:55 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post

Same here. I spent many Saturday mornings "at the Y" - swimming lessons and stuff. Late '50s and early '60s.

I don't see anything sinister in officially calling it what people have informally called it for decades.
It's been known as "The Y" my entire life, as well (since the early '60s).

This rebranding is exactly like Federal Express officially changing its name to FedEx, since that's what everyone called them anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 10:27 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
There is nothing wrong with this..like someone else said, it's re-branding.

In my area, some of the most enthusiastic and active volunteers are not Christian. And I have to say, over the years, at any fundraiser - they were among the most pleasant and supportive. The leaders of the Y always had Christian prayers at these fundraisers (foot races, walks, etc..), and the non-Christians stood respectfully during the prayers. I always had wished that the leaders would invite them up to perhaps say one of their prayers - But, the leaders stuck with the Christian theme behind the organization.

But, those non-Christians still attend and actively participate. So, what the heck...
Why would non-Cs involve themselves in C prayers?

Old 07-12-2010, 11:06 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
Paying homage to their favorite place:

Backing up Obama is L to R Harry Reid, Joe Biden, Larry Echohawk, Barney Frank and Roland Burris!

YouTube - YMCA
Nah. Rahm is the Indian Chief.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:12 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why would non-Cs involve themselves in C prayers?
They usually aren't involved in the praying part.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:42 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,005 times
So?

Old 07-19-2010, 04:56 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Another group caves in to the left out of political correctness.

Y M C A.... The acronym stands for something at least, what does the "Y" stand for, what does it mean??

I think they probably had some atheists scream foul and some Muslims scream foul and they caved in.

The JCC (Jewish Community Center) is still around, they're DEFINITELY not changing their acronym.

Why do Christians have to feel like they're visitors in their own home? It's as if Christians are being made to feel like they DON'T have a place in modern American society. I don't practice any organized religion but I have to tell you that if this country is going to survive, there has to be a place FOR EVERY AMERICAN HERE, IN SPITE of what another group thinks about where their place should be in American Society.

This is ridiculous.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:10 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Another group caves in to the left out of political correctness.

Y M C A.... The acronym stands for something at least, what does the "Y" stand for, what does it mean??

I think they probably had some atheists scream foul and some Muslims scream foul and they caved in.

The JCC (Jewish Community Center) is still around, they're DEFINITELY not changing their acronym.

Why do Christians have to feel like they're visitors in their own home? It's as if Christians are being made to feel like they DON'T have a place in modern American society. I don't practice any organized religion but I have to tell you that if this country is going to survive, there has to be a place FOR EVERY AMERICAN HERE, IN SPITE of what another group thinks about where their place should be in American Society.

This is ridiculous.
Yes, yes. I'm sure it was all the evil leftist atheist Muslims fault.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:36 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

We Jews call the JCCA, "The J." Oh NOES!!! What does it mean? The world is coming to an end, I just KNOW it!

Old 07-19-2010, 08:46 PM

112 posts, read 180,117 times
We always called it the Y..

Old 07-19-2010, 10:35 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
I glanced at my local YMCA as I was driving by and the sign is just the Y with the triangle...it's been like that for the longest time I just never noticed...made me think of this thread tho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies