Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2010, 11:54 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpin Girl View Post
Now if Muslims only had that same capability of respecting others this conversation would be moot.
The vast majority do

Old 07-16-2010, 01:39 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post
My question is, after nine years, why haven't WE built a community center? This is a much better idea than some kind of monument to stand in front of for a few minutes and stare at- which, of course, we haven't built either!

A community center would be a "living" place, an interactive place where people could learn, enjoy, participate and pay homage, adding to the city's amenities and being a gift to ordinary citizens, such as those who were killed there.

I fully support the idea of the Park Place community center.
A community center at GZ would have been a nice idea, I agree. However, I am gritting my teeth at the second part of the first paragraph.

Yes, there were delays at the WTC the first few years, due to too many politicians in the soup, but for pete's sake, the construction has been going on since 2006 now, and the lining of the Memorial pools with dark gray stone is followed and reported on nearly every day in the newspaper, and the Memorial will be open for the tenth anniversay.

Instead of complaining that "there's no monument yet", why not actually show some interest and follow the progress? It's a lot of effort, a lot of jobs, and the people working there are proud of what they are doing. There's no need for such negativity, and at this point, with all the activity at the WTC site, the whining sounds old and tiresome.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:47 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Just trying to say something that will appeal to decent, hard-working, bible thumping, patriotic, white Americans.
They aren't patriotic if they choose to throw parts of the constitution they don't like out the window.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:21 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A community center at GZ would have been a nice idea, I agree. However, I am gritting my teeth at the second part of the first paragraph.

Yes, there were delays at the WTC the first few years, due to too many politicians in the soup, but for pete's sake, the construction has been going on since 2006 now, and the lining of the Memorial pools with dark gray stone is followed and reported on nearly every day in the newspaper, and the Memorial will be open for the tenth anniversay.

Instead of complaining that "there's no monument yet", why not actually show some interest and follow the progress? It's a lot of effort, a lot of jobs, and the people working there are proud of what they are doing. There's no need for such negativity, and at this point, with all the activity at the WTC site, the whining sounds old and tiresome.
There is the Tribute Center to visit in the meantime.

Tribute WTC Visitor Center

Old 07-16-2010, 06:44 PM

469 posts, read 579,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpin Girl
Now if Muslims only had that same capability of respecting others this conversation would be moot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
The vast majority do
One rotten apple can spoil the barrel. The totality of Liberals/Conservatives are held responsible for the comment of one all the time. Does that standard only apply to Westerns?

Old 07-16-2010, 08:16 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpin Girl View Post
One rotten apple can spoil the barrel. The totality of Liberals/Conservatives are held responsible for the comment of one all the time. Does that standard only apply to Westerns?
That standard is only applied by idiots

Old 07-16-2010, 09:14 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The objection to building it is ridiculous, but predictable. People are just connecting terrorists with the Muslim Faith. If Timothy Mcvey was a Baptist say, I don't what faith he was, and don't care. He was a murderer, just as the 911 terrorists were murderers. All murderers should get what the deserve. Should people be up in arms against a Baptist facility in Oklahoma City? I am no fan of any religion, but I do not begrudge anybody's right to have faith and belief in whatever they feel they need. I just prefer to believe in myself and my ability to do what is right.
Begrudging or persecuting anyones right to religion is clearly not the point. Your example of OKC bombings is also very clearly a false equivalence to the 911 attacks. Mcvey was a social outcast anti-government extremist. The 911 attack was committed in the name of religion. Many people are angry because they feel this location is not by accident, but is calculated.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:00 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Quote:
This mosque is headed by an Imam, Feisal Abdul Rauf, founder of the Cordoba Initiative, who proposes to convert the now-shuttered Burlington Coat Factory on Park Place into an Islamic Cultural Center which would contain a mosque.
Newsvine - A Mosque at Ground Zero Equals Victory | Former Muslims United

Old 07-16-2010, 10:40 PM

95 posts, read 141,189 times
Who cares if it is a mosque or not. This is the muslim community's way of inviting discrimination for all those that purport to follow their teachings.

Have you ever heard of the "Jerk tax". IF people do business with them, they will make it extremely difficult for them, or overcharge them.

I wouldn't be surprised if folks avoided living in the same neighborhoods that are known to be muslim. Ever heard of Dearborn, Michigan?

Old 07-17-2010, 04:44 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
The vast majority do
I wonder if they do, or they just keep it to themselves. They appear to be devout (not speaking of extremist) Muslims, so they believe what their religion teaches about non-Muslims. It does not teach either tolerance nor acceptance. They may be trying to find a way to live quietly in the community within those parameters. It's not going to work any better than racial attitudes within the black and white communities against one another if they are not out in the open, addressed, and dealt with. It's not enough that the vast majority of whites don't hate blacks, or that the vast majority of blacks don't hate whites. There are those among us that do, and it creates strife, suspicion, fear and violence on both sides for a lot of innocent folks. It shouldn't be, but it is what it is. Right now, Muslims are at the top of that list of suspect groups. It doesn't help that so many blacks are also Muslim.

People should be allowed to practice their religion as long as it does not promote harm to others, and does not violate the Constitution. I'd like to know whether the Muslims in these mosques will be encouraging their members to uphold the Constitution and the laws of the land so that they can live peaceably in the community, or will they go their own way behind closed doors with their own laws?

This "community center" has been compared to the "Y". I'd like to know whether all faiths, people from all walks of life, gays and women, will be allowed to move about freely within it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies