Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 03:14 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,388,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitsua View Post
I am answering your question. What exactly don't you understand about posting a threat to a Presidential candidate on their web site? I see that as harmful.

Define what you mean by "hurt"..........you want to play lawyer, then clarify your question. Hurt physically, hurt emotionally, hurt financially, exactly what do you mean by "hurt" and what do you mean by "really hurt"? Is there a difference between "hurt" and "really hurt"?

How does hate speech hurt society? Can you answer that one?
No one is trying to play lawyer.

One poster said he/she felt the best way to deal with racism is not give it any attention. I agreed. IMO there is no benefit from the media playing sound clips over and over and over again. We shouldn't give people like the NBPP a platform. If they wanna keep making Youtube videos or giving speeches on street corners - then go for it - but now the media has made them celebrities. Now they have gotten the attention of people who might have otherwise never heard of them. The media gave them more power than they deserved IMO.

You keep using stormfront as an example; do you think if the general American public had no knowledge of stormfront the FBI would have missed that threat on Obama's life? Do you think that the FBI only monitors things that are public knowledge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 03:20 PM

387 posts, read 533,422 times
When I drive through poverty stricken neighborhoods I don't think belittling or judgmental thoughts. I feel sorry for them. There isn't any hate coming from me.

The NAACP has no power. They are not affiliated with congress or the white-house. Even if they are in the media or lobby, it doesn't mean anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legtingle View Post
Unlike you, I don't care what race somebody is. Every time I see a minority I see an individual and judge them on what they bring to the table. When I drive through Camden, NJ I see lots of individuals that happen to be African American that are on some form of government assistance, living in abject poverty, and not taking any responsibility for their life. This is just the cold reality....I'm sure it really bugs you for somebody to actually put this into words. Quite un PC. Truth hurts.

The NAACP and othere race baiting groups are not the black underclass' friend. You libs are on the wrong side on this one....you are the racists.

People are waking up to this. The crap from the New Black Panthers, NAACP, Rev. Wright, Jesse and Al and now Eric Holder and Barry and Michelle....Have you noticed that it's all starting to sound hollow? That your average, everday American, black, white, etc. isn't buying this anymore?

America wants a color blind society... No more excuses, no more blaming every thing on the evil white man.

Time for everyone to take responsibility for themselves. I think more of the human race than to think one group needs to be coddled and kept as unthinking pets.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:21 PM

Racism and discrimination is covert and subtle. And you can't really know what it's like unless you are a person of color.

"The race card" isn't really a card that plays well. 14% are Latino and 13% are black. The majority are white. Naturally the majority rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post

One poster said he/she felt the best way to deal with racism is not give it any attention. I agreed. IMO there is no benefit from the media playing sound clips over and over and over again. We shouldn't give people like the NBPP a platform. If they wanna keep making Youtube videos or giving speeches on street corners - then go for it - but now the media has made them celebrities. Now they have gotten the attention of people who might have otherwise never heard of them. The media gave them more power than they deserved IMO.

You keep using stormfront as an example; do you think if the general American public had no knowledge of stormfront the FBI would have missed that threat on Obama's life? Do you think that the FBI only monitors things that are public knowledge?

Old 07-18-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalTrust View Post
Racism and discrimination is covert and subtle. And you can't really know what it's like unless you are a person of color.
well which color do you have to be?

Old 07-18-2010, 03:24 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,404,464 times
Default NAACP > Tea party

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Alot has been made of the recent proclamation by the NAACP that the Tea Party is a racist movement, which is exactly what the NAACP wanted. Anything to cast a positive light on their organization while casting an equally negative light on the Tea Party was the goal. And in some ways, it has been successful, at least from from a media coverage standpoint.

However, I believe this is nothing but a charade. I believe the NAACP is less concerned with the appearance of racism in the Tea Party, and more concerned with the prolifigation of Tea Party ideals after the November 2010 and 2012 elections.

Why? Because black people have alot to lose from a tighter brand of social and fiscal conservatism. When budget cuts are imposed at the will of newly-minted conservative legislators, the perception from the black community is that it is they who will suffer the most.

In light of the national financial situation, the NAACP simply does not have the political capital to use budget and finance considerations to rally against the Tea Party. So what do they do? They cry racism.

I see right through it, and I believe most American's with at least moderate intellect do as well.

As an aside, if you find my reasoning objectionable, i'd like to point you to this study of the Family Budget Protection Act of 2007. Therein you will find objections to budget cuts on the grounds that the black community will suffer. This is exactly why the NAACP hates fiscal conservatism and the ideals of the Tea Party.

http://www.chn.org/pdf/nulafricanamericanspdf.pdf (broken link)
The NAACP is correct. Racist organizations such as the Tea party have no place in this society anymore than the Klan does. How short-sighted of you to focus on another aspect of the conservative ideology: deregulation and smaller govt. We saw during the village idiot years what this does for the country, but this is a separate issue. Conservatives have been practicing discrimination for centuries and would like those who have been negatively impacted to KEEP BEING negatively impacted.

The key objection to the Tea Party is that they are a racist organization which has as its spokesperson a racist airhead from podunk in Palin. The NAACP has a legitimate goal. The Tea Party is another version of the Klan. The Tea Party stinks.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:26 PM

640 posts, read 388,603 times
Quote:
Either you're not understanding my question or you are not answering it on purpose...
Okay. To answer your question the way I think you want it answered, here goes. A poster from the stormfront web site, Richard Poplawski, was arrested and charged with ambusing and killing three Pittsburgh Police officers in April of 2009. Is that violent enough for you? Would you consider that "really hurting" anybody else?

So, yeah, let's just ignore white supremacists and stormfront.....they'll just go away. Below are a few more of their ideas.

In 2006, the Southern Poverty Law Center reported a discussion on Stormfront in which white nationalists were encouraged to join the U.S. Military in order to learn the skills necessary for winning a race war.[25][26]

The 2008 United States presidential candidacy of African-American Barack Obama was a cause of significant concern for some Stormfront members;[21] the site got 2,000 new members the day after Obama was elected as President, and went temporarily off-line due to the overwhelming amount of activity.[27] Stormfront posters saw Obama as representing a new multicultural era in the United States replacing "white rule", feared that he would support illegal immigration and affirmative action, and would help make white people a minority group.[21] During the primary campaigns, The New York Times mistakenly claimed that Stormfront had donated $500 to Republican Party candidate Ron Paul; in fact, it was site owner Don Black who had contributed the money to Paul.[28]

In an April 2009 shooting, Richard Poplawski, a poster on the site, was charged with ambushing and killing three Pittsburgh Police officers and attempting to kill nine others.[29]

Old 07-18-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitsua View Post

So, yeah, let's just ignore white supremacists and stormfront.....they'll just go away. Below are a few more of their ideas.
Once again you're taking things to the extreme. Please quote where I said "ignore them and they'll just go away"? I said I don't think they should be given a platform in mainstream media. If you can't understand the difference then I guess we have nothing else to talk about.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:33 PM

640 posts, read 388,603 times
Quote:

Richard Poplawski, stormfront member. I think most informed people are well aware of stormfront. I think the FBI monitors DANGEROUS hate sites....which I think means the peope posting on dangerous hate sites can be dangerous to the public, which is why they monitor it. You asked how did these folks posting racist stuff to each other "really hurt" anybody........well, Richard Poplawski is your answer. I suppose those three police officers were hurt, don't you?

Old 07-18-2010, 03:33 PM

The first thing they do is point at poor minority statistics and yell and snivel out "See. They are ruining our country." Yet the majority of the minorities take low paying part-time jobs. But they still assume they are on welfare for decades and decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
The NAACP is correct. Racist organizations such as the Tea party have no place in this society anymore than the Klan does. How short-sighted of you to focus on another aspect of the conservative ideology: deregulation and smaller govt. We saw during the village idiot years what this does for the country, but this is a separate issue. Conservatives have been practicing discrimination for centuries and would like those who have been negatively impacted to KEEP BEING negatively impacted.

The key objection to the Tea Party is that they are a racist organization which has as its spokesperson a racist airhead from podunk in Palin. The NAACP has a legitimate goal. The Tea Party is another version of the Klan. The Tea Party stinks.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:35 PM

9 posts, read 8,261 times
Quote:
Stormfront posters saw Obama as representing a new multicultural era in the United States replacing "white rule", feared that he would support illegal immigration and affirmative action, and would help make white people a minority group.
Obama-"This is not a Christian nation. Being American isn't about blood or birth."

He is against Arizona and their stance against illegal immigration. He is so pro affirmative action, he is even pro affirmative action for crack dealers.
Quote:
No. 299: Eliminate disparity in sentencing for crack and cocaine

The Promise:

"Will work in a bipartisan way to eliminate disparities" between mandatory sentences for trafficking crack cocaine versus powder cocaine, which he believes has disproportionately filled our prison with young black and Latino drug users.
PolitiFact | The Obameter: Tracking Barack Obama's Campaign Promises

Truth is racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies