Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 02:08 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Please try to explain your post, it makes no sense to me.
What is the US trying to sell?
Who are the "Japanise" and what is a "sheick"?
Now now. Be a nice liberal and be nice to the foreigner that is trying hard to write English. I thought your party attempts to categorize itself as compassionate and accommodating? Show it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 02:57 AM

436 posts, read 755,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Six Flags or other places can do this if they like,but seems kinda stupid to me.
For example if they have a gay day they might lose many christian's dollars.
Why go out our your way to court a demographic thats 1%,when you risk losing that..
Amount or more due to backlash.I like the idea of discounts for military,seniors,etc
But having a day for certain religon or sexual preference seems stupid to me.
Are they going to have a day for every single religon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
I think that was last year I think its 9/10 this year. At first I thought it was odd , I'm used to it now .

Guys, I am not Muslim, but did anyone bother to check the Ramadan calendar? I think Ramadan ends on 9/09 this year.
Could this be the reason why this event is scheduled on 09/10 this year?!?!? The mystery. And yes, if this is after Ramadan, six flags will makes some extra money.

I can understand if you are curious about the event. I can even understand questioning the event. But, why the stupid ignorant racist jokes?

Old 07-24-2010, 03:27 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
But, why the stupid ignorant racist jokes?
Honestly, a few of the posters are nothing but ignorant so stupid jokes is the best they can do. You have to tolerate everyone on an open forum.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:28 AM

436 posts, read 755,954 times
Also, not all Republicans are racist. Most Republicans I know would side with six flags, since they often side with rights for the private business owners.

Though I do agree with many of the comments made by azriverfan... this may come as a surprise, but there are just as many ignorant racist idiots on the left as there are, on the right. Why does everything have to boil down to political party affiliations? Can't we make judgements based on our own opinions?

Old 07-25-2010, 10:10 AM

957 posts, read 1,133,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Damn, I wish I'd taken care to specify "private enterprise" in my post. Oh, wait - I did. Whew! - I could've looked really stupid there.

The Statue of Liberty is a public property. Six Flags is a privately owned enterprise.
True but the legal boundary between what is public property and what is private has became more and more blurred in recent years , with the government interfering in the conduct of private business , by for instance settin' quotas for minorities even if they don't match the requested skills and people getting used to sue for every minimal supposed misconduct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
First, we're JewISH teachers (I happen to be a Jewish educator), not "Jew teachers." And it's not some special "Jews get to miss work day," it's a sacred religious event (Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashana - look it up) where the Bible actually states nobody is to work. Have you read the Bible lately? Not to mention, most of us are worshiping in temple ALL day on those holidays, not sitting at home watching Family Feud. Believe me, I'd rather be at work than fasting and praying for 24 hours.

We'd be happy to work on Christmas instead, if we weren't FORCED by our Christian-dominated society to take that day off... we have to use personal vacation for our sacred days, sometimes without pay, while we have no choice on Christmas or Easter. When I worked at a place that was open for Christmas, I was the first one to volunteer to work... and we didn't get extra pay, so it's not like I was doing it for the money. It was only a kind gesture to the non-Jewish employees, so none of them would have to miss their holiday. Would you have done that for a Jewish or Muslim co-worker? For the jobs that were on hourly pay, I would usually lose money on my holidays AND yours - and in school/college I would end up behind from missing a day of lectures & assignments. So you're actually getting the better deal, where (as usual) the non-Christians get the short end of the stick. Try educating yourself before making such an ignorant comment next time.
America is not a "Christian-dominated society" , there's official separation between state and church , and it's even forbidden to display in public christian symbols to not "offend" non-christians.
It's simply happened that USA was founded and settled by Christian people so since the very first day of the colonization Sunday was chosen as the day off by default and still today the vast majority of citizens is Christian.
If you lived in say Morocco or Tunisia then you would have Friday as the day off since they're countries founded by Muslims and if you lived in Israel then Saturnday since it's a Jewish state.
I don't understand why you are complaining , you are the follower of minority religion , you cannot expect the state accommodate everyone personal needs , it wouldn't work , image if muslim workers were allowed to stop doin' work and pray 2-3 times...

Old 07-27-2010, 11:04 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,539,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
image if muslim workers were allowed to stop doin' work and pray 2-3 times...
They are allowed. But they have to use breaks and still must work a full day.

Just like smokers.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:00 AM

957 posts, read 1,133,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
They are allowed. But they have to use breaks and still must work a full day.

Just like smokers.
Fine with me unless they start to complain to be forced to "waste" their breaks in prayers and not having extra-breaks for their religion.

Last edited by Italian (x)lurker; 07-30-2010 at 11:09 AM..

Old 07-30-2010, 11:06 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post

They're a private organization. if they want to do that, good on 'em...hope they've got enough security staffing.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:06 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
How can you have Muslim Day if you can't have Christian Day or any other creed/race/religious day?
This whole thing is just ridiculous.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:10 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
How can you have Muslim Day if you can't have Christian Day or any other creed/race/religious day?
This whole thing is just ridiculous.

I must have missed something, didn't want to go back and read 9 pages.....did a judge say they couldn't have a "Christian Day Six Flags"? I see Christian-related events at baseball games all the time...not sure I'd really have an issue with a muslim day at the ballpark...it's a free country and if you don't like it, you don't have to support that organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies