Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 05:41 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,374,204 times

Advertisements

Lately, Texas has been noted frequently for its superior economic performance. The most recent example is the CNBC ratings, which designated the Lone Star state as the top state for business (http://www.cnbc.com/id/37516043 - broken link) in the nation. Moreover, Texas performed far better than its principal competitor states during the Great Recession as is indicated in our How Texas Averted the Great Recession (http://www.newgeography.com/content/How - broken link) report, authored for Houstonians for Responsible Growth.

How Texas Avoided the Great Recession | Newgeography.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 09:09 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
16 billion in simulus money?

Old 07-22-2010, 09:15 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
PS - Having lived in Florida for 10 years, I'm dying to know what this means:

"However, with strict planning control of land for development in Florida, land prices rose substantially when profligate lending increased demand."

Is that suppose to mean that following Andrew Florida required homes to remain standing after a hurricane and/or that folks could be sold houses in the middle of the Everglades?

Old 07-22-2010, 09:46 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
PS - Having lived in Florida for 10 years, I'm dying to know what this means:

"However, with strict planning control of land for development in Florida, land prices rose substantially when profligate lending increased demand."

Is that suppose to mean that following Andrew Florida required homes to remain standing after a hurricane and/or that folks could be sold houses in the middle of the Everglades?
maybe... but that cant be all...

I suspect that you have to add to those strict plannning controls, the insane lending that went on in the country that led to the bubble burst..

money was everywhere and that led to near hyper inflation of land prices in a lot of places.

I didnt read the link yet but I can tell you that living here in Texas, we didnt see near the home value inflation that a lot of places saw, and we have not been hit nearly as hard as a result.

I dont know what "experts" have to say but I suspect our result is from taxes tied to land instead of income, that keeps people from buying outsized homes... to some extent and also there is a LOT of land here in Texas to expand to.

Florida is really limited in land to build on in areas where their cities are (everglades and all)

Old 07-22-2010, 11:12 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
16 billion in simulus money?
I thought Gov. Perry turned it down. I'd have to double check that though.

I do know he cut back education funding. In 2002 or 03, in looking for any type of job tried education. I was at one of the colleges and mentioned to a library worker the jobs posted on the job board as there were many 'assistant needed' positions. She told me they were still posted there because of the cut backs, there was no funding to fill them.

She also continued the horror stories of those who were once up in finances, but were now ones that she and those like her were assisting with food and shelters.

Oh...and the Dallas food bank was dried up. One last can of beans on their shelf the evening news reported. This avoiding recession topic is interesting to me. Who avoided what?

Old 07-22-2010, 11:25 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Lately, Texas has been noted frequently for its superior economic performance. The most recent example is the CNBC ratings, which designated the Lone Star state as the top state for business (http://www.cnbc.com/id/37516043 - broken link) in the nation. Moreover, Texas performed far better than its principal competitor states during the Great Recession as is indicated in our How Texas Averted the Great Recession (http://www.newgeography.com/content/How - broken link) report, authored for Houstonians for Responsible Growth.

Yes, for business, that's nice.

As for human beings, Texas was #8 out of 50 in the "percent below poverty level" competition. Behind Kentucky. But ahead of Alabama!
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

This is as of 2004, might be a more updated version somewhere.

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 06:24 AM..

Old 07-22-2010, 11:28 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

As for human beings, Texas was #8 out of 50 in the "percent below poverty level" competition. Behind Kentucky. But ahead of Alabama!

Being a border state has a lot to do with that.

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 06:23 AM..

Old 07-22-2010, 11:41 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,374,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

More illegals than others states, they're low-skilled.It's not the Texas fault

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 06:20 AM..

Old 07-22-2010, 11:45 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,785,344 times
Quote:

I used the same study to quote MA as being number 5, and some conservanut on this forum said it doesn't count.

So if he says the CNBC study is false, then it must be true.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:53 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
More illegals than others states, they're low-skilled.It's not the Texas fault
You're bragging along with Texas that "business" in Texas encourages illegal employment to keep competing Texans' wages low. Now you're saying it's not "the Texas" "fault". Whose "fault" is it, then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies