Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:25 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
I think there is more here than meets the eye. In the coming days and weeks I suspect we'll learn a lot more about Ms. Sherrod that will not be flattering.
I learned enough. Decades of living in the South and hearing all that I have heard--and thinking about how I know my family lived, Caucasian, though they might have been/are--I'm glad Shirley Sherrod had an epiphany.

shrug--I could describe my own experiences --'the color of my skin'.

Hurtful, wrong--I don't know how I should feel. There is no way to prove that I am not a 'racist'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Sounds to me that obama overreacted and got her fired. He seems to have a way of doing stupid stuff like overreacting on racial issues.

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHBVyjYi3xU&feature=player_embedded#!

Breitbart says it's not about Sherrod, it's about the smears that the NAACP has been making about the Tea Party being racist. He is pointing out the applause Sherrod got from the members when she mentioned that she didn't help the white farmer to her fullest ability. Later, apparently, she is saying she had a change of heart, but that doesn't negate the fact that the members were applauding her first intention.

Breitbart offered a lie dressed as the truth. I can't fathom anyone defending it.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I learned enough. Decades of living in the South and hearing all that I have heard--and thinking about how I know my family lived, Caucasian, though they might have been/are--I'm glad Shirley Sherrod had an epiphany.

shrug--I could describe my own experiences --'the color of my skin'.

Hurtful, wrong--I don't know how I should feel. There is no way to prove that I am not a 'racist'.

I'm one generation from appalachia myself. My mother came from dirt poor farmer stock. Strong people, and proud.

My concern, here is the lack of integrity in journalism nowadays that seems to be more and more accepted.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:33 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
My concern, here is the lack of integrity in journalism nowadays that seems to be more and more accepted.
...cue the JournoList scandal.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:39 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Again, folks, blame the victim. And defend Breitbarts obvious skewing of the truth.

Sad and pathetic, to say the least.
I think you are purposely skewing the truth on your own. This was never about that woman, it was about the acceptance of the NAACP audience of her discrimination. That was the point of the video, it was about the NAACP.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
...cue the JournoList scandal.

I didn't mention the words right and left wing journalism. A lie is a lie, no matter which side it conmes from.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I think you are purposely skewing the truth on your own. This was never about that woman, it was about the acceptance of the NAACP audience of her discrimination. That was the point of the video, it was about the NAACP.

No, it was about offering a video OUT OF CONTEXT. If you listen to the entire speech you hear that Ms. Sherrod said her thinking was wrong.

Epic fail on Breitbart's part.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:45 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
No, it was about offering a video OUT OF CONTEXT. If you listen to the entire speech you hear that Ms. Sherrod said her thinking was wrong.

Epic fail on Breitbart's part.
Nope, nice try. It was about the acceptance of the NAACP of what she had to say. The only people taking her out of context was the WH. They fired her without looking at the whole video. The intial video was to show the applauding from the NAACP audience when racial remarks were made.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:45 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Not to mention the fact that Breitbart explicitly claimed in his original post that Sherrod was discriminating against white people in her current position with the USDA. The most charitable possible interpretation is that Breitbart didn't know the facts; the more likely one is that it was one more blatant lie in his race-baiting career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies