Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 07:30 AM

11,305 posts, read 18,899,294 times

Advertisements

Someone I know forwarded me this article. If this is true I would be very leery an "about face" may be for very devious reasons.....short term gain for long term pain (i.e. get your benefits but lose your health care) is just not good:

Turn Ninty-Niner Help into 15 Million Votes this November

(To the mods: I feel this belongs in the Unemployment forum more than the Political forum which is why I'm posting here....if you move this that's your perogative but please don't "suspend" my account or close this thread over it, thanks I appreciate it, I'm doing this (and briefly coming back to this forum) as a service to the 99ers, not to make a political point).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 08:24 AM

225 posts, read 546,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Someone I know forwarded me this article. If this is true I would be very leery an "about face" may be for very devious reasons.....short term gain for long term pain (i.e. get your benefits but lose your health care) is just not good:

(To the mods: I feel this belongs in the Unemployment forum more than the Political forum which is why I'm posting here....if you move this that's your perogative but please don't "suspend" my account or close this thread over it, thanks I appreciate it, I'm doing this (and briefly coming back to this forum) as a service to the 99ers, not to make a political point).
Or we could just outsmart them all and "pretend" to go along with it. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:29 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,656,898 times
You would hope people would see through it but it might just work if they tried it. Would go against everything they have been crying about though.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:27 AM

870 posts, read 1,405,464 times
Quote:

They (Repubs) can't erase the stonewalling and fillibustering they've done before now, so if they facilitate a TIER V for example than so be it, that will not undo the past (including the near economic collapse that they created from the Congress they were in charge of in the previous Bush Administration). The voters are not stupid, they know what the Republicans position stands for, bringing down the present administration with an 'at all cost' mentality (including the downfall of the middle class). Regardless of what they (Repubs) do to make the 99ers plight less burdensome (and I doubt they will make a turnaround in their approach) the Democrats are already there and so Repubs don't all of a sudden look better than the Democrats. The 15,000,000 unemployed are smart enough to vote for the party that has consistently been supporting them. If as a political ploy the Repubs cooperate with legislation for the 99ers, we accept it and vote the Dems in. Simple as that.

Last edited by South Jersey Man; 07-24-2010 at 09:49 AM..

Old 07-24-2010, 09:42 AM

870 posts, read 1,405,464 times
Quote:

Your getting an article written from a Republican strategist. You have to sometimes 'consider the source' and look at the possible or probable intention behind the writer. It may have been written in an attempt to distract and concern anyone not a Republican. Even the site is not credible. Let's look at sources that have developed or earned credibility.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:16 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,047,180 times
Quote:

It seems to me, but what do I know, that it's nearly impossible not to discuss politics when you are discussing unemployment. Whether or not people get benefits are dependent on politicians, votes, politics --

If this were a strategy, I don't think it would change many hearts & minds in the voting booth. They don't really hand out stupid cards with your UI benefits.

Anyway, if it were a straight extension without any ticking time-bombs tucked away in it, it would likely get bipartisan support & that would kill the whole point.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:29 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,636,478 times
The Republicans see the unemployed and 99-ers as “lazy Americans who have wasted 99 weeks of government funded unemployment benefits and are seeking more free money from Uncle Sam.” Clearly no faith in the American people from the party of “no” yet again. I stopped reading that asinine tripe there.

Two thumbs down.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:53 PM

11,305 posts, read 18,899,294 times
Glad to see this thread is still here.........

I realize this was written by a strategist, etc. The point is I could see some people out there falling for it (not all, and if comments to news articles are anything, there are a lot of long-term unemployed Republicans who became alienated with them now). In 2004, I could understand the rich voting GWB in for a 2nd term, but not those for whom it was against their own pocketbooks, self-interest, etc., for example

Old 07-25-2010, 11:41 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Man View Post
They (Repubs) can't erase the stonewalling and fillibustering they've done before now, so if they facilitate a TIER V for example than so be it, that will not undo the past (including the near economic collapse that they created from the Congress they were in charge of in the previous Bush Administration). The voters are not stupid, they know what the Republicans position stands for, bringing down the present administration with an 'at all cost' mentality (including the downfall of the middle class). Regardless of what they (Repubs) do to make the 99ers plight less burdensome (and I doubt they will make a turnaround in their approach) the Democrats are already there and so Repubs don't all of a sudden look better than the Democrats. The 15,000,000 unemployed are smart enough to vote for the party that has consistently been supporting them. If as a political ploy the Repubs cooperate with legislation for the 99ers, we accept it and vote the Dems in. Simple as that.
Really, the dems have been supporting the unemployed??? The dems are creating uncertainty which is preventing hiring. Corporations are sitting on cash right now and not hiring anyone because they don't know if they are going to be forced to unionize. Corporations don't know what they are going to be forced to pay in healthcare expenses, energy expenses, or god only knows what else this administration will dream up to slap on businesses.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I WANT A JOB. I don't want to be receiving unemployment benefits. I HATE living off unemployment. You get zero benefits, no retirement, can't rent an apartment, and plus the check is lousy. I almost think the dems are trying to create a bunch of government dependents to keep themselves in power. I sure as heck don't want to live off government benefits.

When the republicans had control, I had a good job, good insurance, awesome retirement, nice apartment. Once Obama was inaugurated, I lost my job, was forced to move back in with parents, and now pay over $100 a month in asthma medication, and am about to lose my retirement savings. When the republicans had control, I had no problems finding good paying work. Actually, the only problem I had was choosing between the multiple job offers I would receive. Now, that the dems are in control, I am applying for jobs at McDonalds and Pizza Hut.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:12 PM

46,972 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
When the republicans had control, I had a good job, good insurance, awesome retirement, nice apartment. Once Obama was inaugurated...
That sucks, and I hope you'll locate something soon.

But correlation doesn't equal causation.

Sure, it was great in 2005 when Hummer dealerships were thriving, and you could make $50,000 on house flipping - but it was not a sound economy, it was built on a bubble - and that bubble started giving in February 2008.

When Obama was inaugurated, the economy was already losing a record 750K jobs a month. At least that's not happening any more.

The entire system has flipped to being overly risk-averse now, which sure dampens the recovery. Like with one's personal economy, you can't turn the effects of 5 years of bad habits around in 18 months. It's going to be a long slog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies