Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 08:11 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times

Advertisements

For refusing to answer the question of whether she owns a gun in the house, she is denied service in the future. If this is allowed, isn't the doctor who turned away patients who supported Obamacare allowed to deny service outright?

Ocala woman refused service from pediatrician for gun | Ocala.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 08:22 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
"WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE SERVICE TO ANYONE"

That seems pretty clear. IMO, ANY business owner, regardless of the type of business, has the absolute right to decide who he will serve, just as YOU have the absolute right to limit who you will allow in your home. (yes, I am well aware that there is a difference between a business and a home, but the principle is the same).

It is just like the insurance companies which will no longer write new health coverage policies for children. They have the right to decide who they will and will not cover.

It has been said many times: You can NOT grant special rights to any group without denying an equivalent right to another group.

It is just that simple!

The doctor has an absolute right to control who enters his office, period!

Old 07-24-2010, 08:30 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,688 times
No, it's called discrimination! and it's illegal!

Old 07-24-2010, 08:37 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
I am an avid gun supporter and a lifetme NRA member.

However, we refuse to see patients all the time. I review the records of any new patients and probably turn down over half of them for a variety of reasons (usually it is a history of drug abuse).

You can refuse any patient you want in an office setting. If on call, you cannot refuse emergency care at the hospital to anyone. It is not illegal at all and is quite common.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:37 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
What's the protected group?

» EEOC protected classes Human Resource Blog
Under federal law, employers are prohibited from discriminating against employees based on: race, color, religion, national ancestry, sex, age (between 40 -70), disability, pregnancy and genetic information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Please link to legal opinions that support your comment.

Just because you say something doesn't make it true.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What's the protected group?

» EEOC protected classes Human Resource Blog
Under federal law, employers are prohibited from discriminating against employees based on: race, color, religion, national ancestry, sex, age (between 40 -70), disability, pregnancy and genetic information.

Please link to legal opinions that support your comment.

Just because you say something doesn't make it true.
Then the other doctor in the news would be entirely permitted to refuse patients if they supported Obamacare. But, I heard a lot of outrage in that thread suggesting it was illegal.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I am an avid gun supporter and a lifetme NRA member.

However, we refuse to see patients all the time. I review the records of any new patients and probably turn down over half of them for a variety of reasons (usually it is a history of drug abuse).

You can refuse any patient you want in an office setting. If on call, you cannot refuse emergency care at the hospital to anyone. It is not illegal at all and is quite common.
Ideally, I would agree. I just thought there were certain minimal provisions that could not allow doctor's to refuse patients. Glad to see that I'm wrong, at least if the doctor is allowed to universally deny patients office care.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:23 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,518 times
Quote:
“The purpose is to give advice… I don't tell them to get rid of the guns,” he said. “The purpose is to give advice.”
He said that more than half the families he treats have guns.
Okonkwo said that during the summer, he asks parents the same kinds of questions about whether they have pools at their homes and gives advice about keeping them safe so children don't wander in and drown.
He said he does the same with young drivers, and asks whether they use their cell phones when they drive.
“I've been asking these questions two, three years,” he said.
He said the doctor and patient have to develop a relationship of trust and that if parents won't answer such basic safety questions, how could they trust each other about more important health issues.

Do you folks ever read the articles before commenting on them?

It's not discrimination unless the newest protected group consists of people who won't tell the truth to their childrens' pediatricians about topics that concern the safety of their children.

I am not anti-gun, by the way ... just anti-stupid. (not people on the forum specifically - more just the lady in the article)

Old 07-24-2010, 09:32 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
Do you folks ever read the articles before commenting on them?

It's not discrimination unless the newest protected group consists of people who won't tell the truth to their childrens' pediatricians about topics that concern the safety of their children.

I am not anti-gun, by the way ... just anti-stupid. (not people on the forum specifically - more just the lady in the article)
Then you and I see eye to eye, and are very frustrated daily with the idiocy that is infecting this nation more and more every day.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:36 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You do realise you linked to EMPLOYMENT law, and not consumer protection laws.. right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies