Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 12:20 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,137,483 times

Advertisements

Hot Air » Children dropping F-bombs for gulf spill “charities” now

Excerpt from blog:

"Nothing says “I mean business” like a well-timed f-bomb, especially coming from a kid."

Language warning!:

YouTube - UnF--kTheGulf: F-Bomb-a-Thon Video

Classy. Im sure some of you think its cute and funny to see kids hurling the F-word, especially if its for the environment. Yet, none of this is really surprising anymore. It doesnt make it right, but our society continues to decline on all levels, including morally.

What I think is worse today, is all the adults who are just regularly vulgar with their language. Adults today act like teenagers, still thinking its so cool to curse and be vulgar. Society isnt evolving, we're declining. Adults are becoming more and more immature. Being an adult doesnt mean you cant enjoy yourself and have fun and it doesnt mean you have to always act so proper, etc. But seriously, GROW UP! We've gotten to a point where many people cant go out and enjoy a movie unless its vulgar on all levels. To many, comedy isnt comedy unless f bombs are being dropped left and right and the jokes are as sexually crude as can be. I guess this rant is a bit off the main subject of kids doing it, but I think its all connected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 12:36 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Hot Air » Children dropping F-bombs for gulf spill “charities” now

Excerpt from blog:

"Nothing says “I mean business” like a well-timed f-bomb, especially coming from a kid."

Language warning!:

YouTube - UnF--kTheGulf: F-Bomb-a-Thon Video

Classy. Im sure some of you think its cute and funny to see kids hurling the F-word, especially if its for the environment. Yet, none of this is really surprising anymore. It doesnt make it right, but our society continues to decline on all levels, including morally.

What I think is worse today, is all the adults who are just regularly vulgar with their language. Adults today act like teenagers, still thinking its so cool to curse and be vulgar. Society isnt evolving, we're declining. Adults are becoming more and more immature. Being an adult doesnt mean you cant enjoy yourself and have fun and it doesnt mean you have to always act so proper, etc. But seriously, GROW UP! We've gotten to a point where many people cant go out and enjoy a movie unless its vulgar on all levels. To many, comedy isnt comedy unless f bombs are being dropped left and right and the jokes are as sexually crude as can be. I guess this rant is a bit off the main subject of kids doing it, but I think its all connected.
The product of a liberal anything goes society

Old 07-25-2010, 12:43 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
My oldest (18 next month) came home from a concert with a T shirt reading:

F*
CK
BP

I have explained to him that as strongly as he feels about the BP oil spill, that this shirt is inappropriate to wear outside, other than to a concert, protest or some other gathering of his peers.

It bothers me that society has allowed curse words to take the place of more powerful adjectives and verbs to describe their passions. My young cousin's Facebook page is full of comments by her and her friends in which 'f' is used as an adjective and verb. Why?

TV sitcoms are no better -- I've heard some rather risque language on Two and a Half Men; even the old King of Queens used the term "douchebag' to describe a disagreeable person as opposed to the actual hygienic device.

Call me old fashioned, a stick-in-the mud, or an old phart if you must. We are seeing a decline in reading and writing skills; it's only natural that our ability to communicate efficiently and without the use of cursing has dropped as well.

Wouldn't it be a positive change of pace if for once young people wanted to emulate someone intelligent as opposed to wannabe thugs and gangsta rappers?

Old 07-25-2010, 12:48 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
It's just a word. We can judge it negatively, of course, but I would never suggest that any words should be banned or censored.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
My oldest (18 next month) came home from a concert with a T shirt reading:

F*
CK
BP

I have explained to him that as strongly as he feels about the BP oil spill, that this shirt is inappropriate to wear outside, other than to a concert, protest or some other gathering of his peers.

It bothers me that society has allowed curse words to take the place of more powerful adjectives and verbs to describe their passions. My young cousin's Facebook page is full of comments by her and her friends in which 'f' is used as an adjective and verb. Why?

TV sitcoms are no better -- I've heard some rather risque language on Two and a Half Men; even the old King of Queens used the term "douchebag' to describe a disagreeable person as opposed to the actual hygienic device.

Call me old fashioned, a stick-in-the mud, or an old phart if you must. We are seeing a decline in reading and writing skills; it's only natural that our ability to communicate efficiently and without the use of cursing has dropped as well.

Wouldn't it be a positive change of pace if for once young people wanted to emulate someone intelligent as opposed to wannabe thugs and gangsta rappers?
Yeah, I dont know when that word was suddenly acceptable for tv. D_ck is also now acceptable to be on regular tv. Its just one thing after another.

And dont get me wrong, nothing wrong with cursing sometimes, but like you said, its now a part of normal everyday language. People cant have a conversation about anything without those "colorful" adjectives. I personally thing its immature, especially to see adults use it soo frequently, like they are teenagers thinking its just the coolest thing to do.

You cant go anywhere on the internet anymore without foul mouthed people spewing vulgarities and being nasty to people. Just look at nearly any Youtube video comments. It could be a video about a cooking show or anything and a bunch of immature people comment the most vile, hateful stuff. Its to the point where its not even shocking anymore. Its like "oh, more vulgar hate, what else is new.."

Old 07-25-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It's just a word. We can judge it negatively, of course, but I would never suggest that any words should be banned or censored.
True. Im not for some mass censorship, my argument is more towards people themselves in general. People seem to be getting more and more immature. And on top of it, using kids like its suppose to be cute and funny is just sad. The way a majority of people talk and act today is just pathetic really.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:06 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I wouldn't ban it either, but it's a word that should be used judiciously as many do find it offensive.

I've grown weary of hearing something was Effen awesome, it's effed up, what the eff, etc.

If Gone With the Wind were remade, would Rhett Butler's parting words to Scarlett be, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a F*ck."?

Old 07-25-2010, 01:12 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

It bothers me.
I think we will 'live to regret' this trend also.

<I've grown weary of hearing something was Effen awesome, it's effed up, what the eff, etc.>
Overuse may be the best cure?

I can't hear it w/o the mental image of 'Wayne's World/SNL. Those guys are probably still in the parents' basement.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:31 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
It's just a sign of being low class.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
True. Im not for some mass censorship, my argument is more towards people themselves in general. People seem to be getting more and more immature. And on top of it, using kids like its suppose to be cute and funny is just sad. The way a majority of people talk and act today is just pathetic really.
We have become a nation of loose morals, little to no ethics and a total lack of politeness and respect.

It's the "me, me, me" and "anything goes" society we have become.
Our moral code is breaking down; the line for what's "acceptable" is fading away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies