Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 06:20 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,846,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Because these same people would not and did not have the same issues with any of the previous First Ladies doing the exact same thing as Michelle Obama. And these same people would not have had a problem if John McCain had been elected as POTUS and it was "The Ice Queen" Cindy McCain travelling.

Also, if it were of legitimate concern more people of varying backgrounds and political views would join in the "outrage". However, its the same sad voices of the same sorry folks who have bashed President Obama since his election day. Its the same people who call him a Kenyan, the Magic Negro, a Muslim. Its the same people who demand to see birth certificates and his report card from kindergarten, etc.

That's why this hoopla being raised by this small group of Birtherheads seems insincere with their concerns about Michelle Obama's travel schedule. They will attempt to nitpick at any and everything non-issue until they strike a nerve. But sorry, most Americans don't see this as an issue....but keep trying
Yep its just everyone picking on the Obamas thats the ticket

Have you spoke with most Americans? Have you been reading the comments at the bottom of the articles about this? There is some genuinely upset people in this country over this.

The citizens of this country are getting feed up with the wasting of tax dollars. There is many Americans right now struggling and they are watching the Obamas spend their tax dollars taking vacations while telling the citizen struggling to make sacrifices. Its rather naive to think that isnt upsetting folks.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
It's just odd that you all get upset over Michelle Obama and her vacation, and yet fight tooth and nail to preserve tax cuts for billionaires.
Different thread

Old 08-13-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Aha! If you're not really jealous, let me say right here and now -- that exasperated feeling you feel -- that's how we feel when you insist we must be jealous of Sarah Palin!

Get it now?!
I dont believe I've ever said you are jealous of Palin. I dont make a habit of defending her since I dont like her. I will defend that her children get the same treatment as democrats children to be left alone.

Also a different thread though.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
They didnt have a problem with Nancy Reagan
Like you would know that

Old 08-13-2010, 06:28 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post

Have you spoke with most Americans? Have you been reading the comments at the bottom of the articles about this? There is some genuinely upset people in this country over this.

The citizens of this country are getting feed up with the wasting of tax dollars. There is many Americans right now struggling and they are watching the Obamas spend their tax dollars taking vacations while telling the citizen struggling to make sacrifices. Its rather naive to think that isnt upsetting folks.

seriously? you think a percentage of americans being upset that a sitting POTUS or his first lady take vacations is anything new every admin gets bad mouthed for taking a vacation. nothing new there, don't fool yourself into thinking it is just the obama admin that has hear this critique.

as far as michelle's trip to spain, it i as they say...history

Old 08-13-2010, 06:38 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:

The only people who are "outraged" are the ones who never wanted a Democratic and/or Black POTUS to begin with. Those are the only two segments who are "outraged" about the trip to Spain. No one else gives a damn. The First Lady's trip was well within the bounds of the normal activities of a woman in her position.

I feel for the people who are struggling but the money that was spent on Michelle Obama's trip was never going to hit your pocket anyway.

Why not complain about all of the money given in foreign aid?

U.S. Foreign Aid Summary

Who gets US Foreign Aid | Parade.com

Or the money used to build/purchase weaponry that we will never use?

Military budget of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or maybe try complaining about the billions and billions (actually $1 trillion+) spent on the pointless war in Iraq?

Q+A-Cost of Iraq, Afghanistan tops $1 trillion | Reuters

Old 08-13-2010, 06:54 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Now calipoppy, you know the deficit was at zero when OBAMA came in!

Old 08-13-2010, 07:03 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Now calipoppy, you know the deficit was at zero when OBAMA came in!

Old 08-13-2010, 08:17 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,363,015 times
This thread has run a long and winding course. My sense is that it could be approaching the halfway point, and that a brief summary might be helpful. I don't presume to speak for all of Mrs. Obma's critics, but speaking for myself I viewed the trip as an inappropriate display of arrogance, insensitivity, sense of entitlement, and disregard for prudent use of taxpayers' hard-earned dollars.

Her defenders have come up with quite a few good reasons why my perception is wrong. The top 5 that stick in my mind, in no particular order, are:

1. Jealousy.
2. Racism.
3. It's OK because everybody does it.
4. No previous FLOTUS was ever criticized for anything.
5. The tax dollars spent would just have been wasted somewhere else anyway. (I actually completely agree with this one - I just don't think that makes it right.)

After 500+ posts, the grand total of minds that have been changed is approximately zero. But we can't stop now - I'm certain if we just keep at it we will be able to double or even triple that number.

Anyway, moving on...

Whether this vacation is a factor or not, there are indications that Mrs. Obama's popularity has dropped, e.g.

Michelle Obama popularity falls... (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/Michelle-Obama-popularity-falls-100520134.html - broken link)

(Not to suggest that a FLOTUS's popularity is of any real-world consequence, but I suspect that 75% was a lot more to her liking than 50%)

BUT one might start to wonder if too many glitzy vacations in economically distressed times might not also start to show up in poll results that might matter, like this one:

GALLUP: Even the Poor Are Abandoning Obama; Approval Under 50%... (http://cnsnews.com/news/article/71089 - broken link)

Old 08-13-2010, 08:34 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,471 times
Quote:
I dont believe I've ever said you are jealous of Palin. I dont make a habit of defending her since I dont like her. I will defend that her children get the same treatment as democrats children to be left alone.

Also a different thread though.
Oh, you mean like Rushbo calling young Chelsea Clinton and Amy Carter "dogs"? That degree of fairness?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies