Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it time to end affirmative action programs for "people of color"?
Yes 49 83.05%
No 5 8.47%
Not sure 5 8.47%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 05:45 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Yes blacks can compete. There were many black doctors and lawyers before AA came into place. Obama did not have lousy grades,btw. Now I did read Bush had lousy grades and still graduated Yale. What do you call that?
Really?

Lets start at the beginning.

The 'Rat-Ballers': Obama's High School Crew - ABC News

"It was the 1970s and Obama was one of the few black students on campus. The son of a white mother and black father, he attended Punahou on a scholarship starting in the fifth grade."

Now, I am not really sure why Obama got a scholarship to the largest private school in the country in the fifth grade. But I would ascertain that it was probably some sort of community outreach or affirmative-action style program for underrepresented minorities.

Yale Daily News - Pride and solidarity at Obama

"Before graduating in 1979, Obama played varsity basketball in high school. His grades, however, were sub par."

WikiAnswers - What were Barack Obama's grades in high school

"Obama must have had very average grades in high school, since he only ended up at the moderately competitive Occidental College. With affirmative action, even an average set of grades would have gotten him into a more competitive undergraduate institution. This is no surprise since he admits to cutting class and doing drugs for most of his time in high school. "

Gauging from his life up until his entry into occidental college. We can conclude pretty well that Obama's grades were poor, and his admittance into a prestigious private school at such a young age was from some sort of affirmative-action style program.

WikiAnswers - What were Barack Obama's grades in college

Now, he goes to occidental college then later transfers to Columbia, graduates from there without honors, then somehow gets into Harvard law school. How does a guy who graduates without honors get into Harvard law school? Affirmative-action. And Obama refuses to release any of his transcripts, and he won't release his SAT scores either. Why?

Now, when Obama gets into Law School he does do very well. And he graduated in the top 10% of his class. But the truth is, without affirmative-action, he wouldn't be the president. It is as simple as that.

Of course, Bush was far from spectacular himself. And he wouldn't have been the president if his family wasn't rich and his father hadn't already been the president.

George W. Bush Transcript

I am not saying that no blacks are intelligent or capable. I am merely stating that blacks are at a severe disadvantage. Someone mentioned merit. An example of merit might be a very high score on the SAT.

http://www.jbhe.com/features/49_coll...ions-test.html

"On the math SAT, only 0.7 percent of all black test takers scored at least 700 compared to 6.3 percent of all white test takers. Thus, whites were nine times as likely as blacks to score 700 or above on the math SAT. Overall, there were 45 times as many whites as blacks who scored 700 or above on the math SAT. "

This basically means, without affirmative-action, the elite colleges giving placement to people on merit alone, should only be around 2% black(compared to blacks comprising around 13% of the population). While Asians based on merit would represent more than 10% of the average elite college campus, despite them being less than 5% of the population.

If we could say the big four "races"(whites, blacks, asians, hispanics(I realize hispanics aren't a race, but lets pretend they are)) were all exactly 25% of the population. Then based on merit alone, I would speculate a typical college would be roughly 40% white, 1% black, 2% hispanic, and 57% asian.

Under that system, how will blacks succeed relative to other groups?

Last edited by Redshadowz; 07-29-2010 at 06:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 05:53 AM

313 posts, read 406,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
As usual, conservatives frame the affirmative action argument in a manner that makes it sound like discrimination without acknowledging that conservatives continue to discriminate against blacks. Affirmative action is meant to stop whites who are racist from doing something they've been doing since slavery times: deny opportunity to black people. Recognizing the qualities that make blacks worthy of greater opportunities does not mean that whites are discrminated against, Pubs. What big babies.

Webb, a closet Republican from VA, reveals that he prefers the wrong side of this argument and this is newsworthy? Absurd. I think the attack on affirmative action will lead to a more resilient form of the mechanism, one that survives the bogus concept of "reverse discrimination." So keep pounding on it, Pubs.
As usual we have a liberal that wants to make accusations that they are clueless about. Affirmative Action works against all races. AA is supposed to make it an equal playing field, but it doesnt do as such. It is telling business owners who they have to hire, no matter what the persons merits are.

Lets take for an example, the business that my husband and I own. Since in our city, there is 34% white, according to AA our employees should be 1/3 white. We have 95% of our applicants that are black. Well, because of AA we have to turn some of our black applicants away, even though they are qualified to do the work. Due to AA we have to hire basically every white person that applies since we have to match the population percentages.

I don't find this fair, I have to give the job to the white person that isnt as qualified as the black person due to AA. I should be allowed to give the job to who is most qualified.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:32 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,678,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
As usual, conservatives frame the affirmative action argument in a manner that makes it sound like discrimination without acknowledging that conservatives continue to discriminate against blacks. Affirmative action is meant to stop whites who are racist from doing something they've been doing since slavery times: deny opportunity to black people. Recognizing the qualities that make blacks worthy of greater opportunities does not mean that whites are discrminated against, Pubs. What big babies.

Webb, a closet Republican from VA, reveals that he prefers the wrong side of this argument and this is newsworthy? Absurd. I think the attack on affirmative action will lead to a more resilient form of the mechanism, one that survives the bogus concept of "reverse discrimination." So keep pounding on it, Pubs.
We would not need any affirmative action programs by ensuring full employment of resources in the market for labor.

Employers would be able to bear true witness to our Ninth and First Amendments, by hiring a person who fulfills their criteria.

Unemployment compensation that conforms to at-will employment laws, and a federal doctrine, could ensure full employment of resources in the market for labor, and eliminate official poverty in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies