Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:31 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
1. To convince me, you will have to give me more than an opinionated piece from a partisan hack, or two.

2. Budget basics:
Discretionary Spending: Spending allocated via annual appropriations bill, under the discretion of the congress.
Mandatory Spending: Spending enacted by law.

Learn the difference first.

That is funny.

1. You will never acknowledge facts, as they do not support your leftist position.

2. I understand "discretionary" and "mandatory" spending. The way "mandatory" spending is "manadatory" is through legislative mandate. Laws can be changed. That is why we have a congress. Of course, the laws DO NEED TO BE CHANGED to prevent insolvency. ALL SPENDING is ultimately discretionary, at the will of the congress and the people.

Perhaps you should understand that the will of the people can be enacted through congress to change laws and create policy that serves the will of the people, rather than politcians.

Can we avoid disaster? Yes. Massive spending cuts will be needed and will ultimately occur. The nation has awakened to the dangers of massive spending and will correct the problem in 2010 and 2012.

PS- I corrected a few typographical errors, as they are to liberals what a shiney lure is to a bass.

Last edited by hawkeye2009; 08-12-2010 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 11:58 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
That is funny.

1. You will never acknowledge facts, as they do not support your leftist position.

2. I understand "discretionary" and "mandatory" spending. The way "mandatory" spending is "manadatory" is through legislative mandate. Laws can be changed. That is why we have a congress. Of course, the laws DO NEED TO BE CHANGED to prevent insolvency. ALL SPENDING is ultimately discretionary, at the wil of the cogress and the people.

Perhaps you should understand that the will of the people can be enacted throught congress to change laws and create policy that serves the will of the people, rather than politcians.

Can we avoid disaster? Yes. Massive spending cuts will be needed and will ultimately occur. The nation has awakened to the dangers of massive spending and will correct the problem in 2010 and 2012.
1. Excuse me for not accepting a partisan hack's opinion as facts. I won't accept it from the other side either. I believe in using one's own brain to get the best argument both sides have to make and concluding on your own. Or, at least look for a non-partisan source. Can't do that? Too bad.

2. Well, you finally got the definitions, but are still getting confused (or are deliberately wording your argument disingenuously, as is typical in biased media). No, mandatory spending is NOT the same as discretionary spending. No, mandatory spending is not the new discretionary spending. And no, payment on debt interest is not discretionary. And no, people don't get to vote for budgets. Congress does, within its power. The laws will have to be modified to change anything under mandatory spending, not quite an "on the go" thing.

Idiots largely outnumber the sane ones, anywhere. It is true in America as well. For that reason alone I don't choose to "go with the flow".

Old 08-12-2010, 12:13 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times
Hawkeye, if you think any Republican controlled Congress would cut Social Security or Medicare then you're on crack. Old folks vote more then anyone else and every politician knows it so you're barking up the wrong tree if you think even Republicans would electrocute themselves on that third rail.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:15 PM

66 posts, read 39,249 times
the biggest part of the structural debt is over spending

Old 08-12-2010, 12:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE MY HARLEY View Post
We all know that but it will never be admitted by our government

Old 08-12-2010, 12:35 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
For example... (give me the largest items and numbers)

Old 08-12-2010, 12:48 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Hawkeye, if you think any Republican controlled Congress would cut Social Security or Medicare then you're on crack. Old folks vote more then anyone else and every politician knows it so you're barking up the wrong tree if you think even Republicans would electrocute themselves on that third rail.
Yes, the same people who held signs at TP gatherings saying "keep your government hands off my Medicare" will vote anyone out of office that messes with SS or Medicare. Just look at last weeks AARP poll...

Old 08-12-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Please actually read the thread before you post stuff like this. We have gone over ad nauseam where and how much spending would need to be cut to balance the budget. In short the entire discretionary budget is only $1.5 trillion and the deficit is $1.5 trillion per year so if we were to cut our way out of a deficit we would have to eliminate the entire discretionary budget including the military and that just isn't going to happen.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
For example... (give me the largest items and numbers)
I'd be very surprised if love my harley actually named a single substantial cut and usually the people who say "it's a spending problem" claim we could balance the budget by eliminating welfare, waste, or foreign aid. All of those combined wouldn't reduce the debt by more then a few percentage points and if we want to cut $1.5 trillion out of the budget we have to go after the giant elephants. It's sad but these people don't understand this basic fact.

That doesn't stop them from mouthing off like they know jack cheese though.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:19 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
This whole issue about deficit/spending highlights what the republicans have been doing since 2000. They sell the sizzle and keep the steak. The whole republican movement have become political who**s. Every mandate or bill president bush signed was populist and unfunded. He put the fundng of No Child Left Behind" on the states back. The Drug giveaway was to pharmacological companies, not to the people and it is unfunded. Likewise with the tax cuts he signed into law. I won't even get into the two wars which he not only didn't fund but wouldn't even allow the accountants to count as government spending. Now the Republicans scream about unemployment benefits being unfunded, assistance to states to keep vital public servants on payroll and anything else the current administration funds because it adds to the deficit. Meawhile they want to continue the tax cuts when they know it will dramaticly increase the deficit over the next few years. Talk about pandering for votes. I, for one will not stand by silently while they continue to plunder the nation as they did the previous 8 years they were in power.

Added: Don't give me that crap about dems in power in congress during the Bush years. Bush could veto any bill that crossed his desk and there was never enough Dem votes to overide it. Bush did what he wanted, got what he wanted and we and our children will be paying for his decisions for years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies