Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 09:52 PM

46 posts, read 56,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Honestly, most people around the world don't know or care much about American domestic politics. I mean, do you care about the conflict between the Han and Ughyrs in Xinjang province, know who the President of Indonesia is, or have an opinion on the trade dispute between Hungary and Slovakia?

To the rest of the world, America is not the center of their universe or even an important part, just as we don't think Beijing is the axis about which the Earth turns. They are much more interested in the next big movie coming out of hollywood than they are about troop deployments in Afghanistan (unless they are Afghan) or healtcare reform.

They don't know how many political parties we have, or what motivates our "grassroots" nor do they much care. So, there's the long version of the answer to your question.
There are people in many counties of the world who are very interested in foreign affairs.

My brother in law lives in Europe and he hates everything America stands for. He thinks that most of the American people are stupid to go from liking Obama so much to disliking him in such a short period of time. The guy has visited my family here in the states and will put down so many things about America. He will watch a tv commercial and wonder where the product facts are. He does not understnd markeing here. Any and every chance he gets to put down America he will. He is probably jealous of his sister living here married to an Amercan imo. Of course the American music and movies are a big part of his life. I personally think he would love to see America grow weaker. I think there are many people in countries around the world who would like to see America go further in the toilet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 10:48 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Honestly, most people around the world don't know or care much about American domestic politics. I mean, do you care about the conflict between the Han and Ughyrs in Xinjang province, know who the President of Indonesia is, or have an opinion on the trade dispute between Hungary and Slovakia?

To the rest of the world, America is not the center of their universe or even an important part, just as we don't think Beijing is the axis about which the Earth turns. They are much more interested in the next big movie coming out of hollywood than they are about troop deployments in Afghanistan (unless they are Afghan) or healtcare reform.

They don't know how many political parties we have, or what motivates our "grassroots" nor do they much care. So, there's the long version of the answer to your question.
I don't think domestic politics particularly interest a lot of people around the world, but your foreign policy sure does.

However, I don't agree that America is not an important part - it might not be the axis, but it is important.

Troop deployments to Afghanistan? Iraq? Sure I want to know - considering my country's troops are pretty much only there because yours are.

In the 2008 election, there was a lot of interest. Mostly because we were all hoping & waiting with bated breath that you guys wouldn't f*** it up again..

Old 08-02-2010, 10:50 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I went to Europe but it was when Bush was president and people were laughing at Bush... Haven't traveled since Obama had been president.. Obama hasn't done a good job so don't have money to travel as much...
Maybe your lack of funds has nothing to do with Obama.
Just sayin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2010 View Post
According to these responses, it seems that there are not many countries around the world that are laughing at America or Obama. This sounds to me like people around the world like Obama.

What do the people around the world think about how so many American people are fed up with Obama?
They don't really care, and the Europeans I know think US news is a joke.
What they do care about is that Bush gave the world a war that is a lot closer to their countries than to the US.
That's significant.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:57 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Quote:
Was wondering if anyone has personally experienced people in other countries laughing or making fun of America and our current president Obama?
Um, no, but why do we care what people in other countries think? I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Obama is the president of the US not any other country.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:01 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
??

Care to explain?
You know, Adolph's Meat Tenderizer

Old 08-03-2010, 05:20 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,065,699 times
Quote:
There are people in many counties of the world who are very interested in foreign affairs.

My brother in law lives in Europe and he hates everything America stands for. He thinks that most of the American people are stupid to go from liking Obama so much to disliking him in such a short period of time. The guy has visited my family here in the states and will put down so many things about America. He will watch a tv commercial and wonder where the product facts are. He does not understnd markeing here. Any and every chance he gets to put down America he will. He is probably jealous of his sister living here married to an Amercan imo. Of course the American music and movies are a big part of his life. I personally think he would love to see America grow weaker. I think there are many people in countries around the world who would like to see America go further in the toilet.
Yeah, but you're citing examples of his opinion of American Culture, not domestic politics. Also, he has a vested interest in America, due to his sister living in the US. He's also visited the United States. He is definitely more involved with America than the majority of the world.

I mean, I know a lot about Taiwanese politics because I visit often, but I'd guess that 99.9% of Americans couldn't tell you whether President Ma is KMT or DDP.

Quote:
Troop deployments to Afghanistan? Iraq? Sure I want to know - considering my country's troops are pretty much only there because yours are.
Well, that's actually projection. Your country's troop deployments are not the fault of America, no matter what your slimy politicians claim to get out of being held responsible. America might have asked, but they could have said "no."

Quote:
In the 2008 election, there was a lot of interest. Mostly because we were all hoping & waiting with bated breath that you guys wouldn't f*** it up again.
Yeah, well, lots of people were interested in German politics in the 1940's too. When you go around invading other countries you tend to raise interest levels.

I'm sticking to my statement that the vast majority of the world doesn't know or care about US domestic politics, opinion polls, or American's opinion of Obama.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:19 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:

Actually, I find it the opposite. Most of my friends in Europe know more about American politics than most Americans do, unfortunately. It's like comparing BBC news to Fox News....bit of a difference there.

I find most Americans are pretty ignorant to our own political process and are single issue voters. They don't know who their congressman are, or their senator and probably couldn't name the succession of power from the President down.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:20 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
You know, Adolph's Meat Tenderizer
The Lawry's spice?

I'm still not sure where you're going with this.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:25 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
I found it interesting that the European countries are realizing they have to cut spending and they are actually telling Daddy Warbucks Obama that he needs to cut spending.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:51 PM

61 posts, read 140,094 times
I spend a lot of time in Europe and did notice a lot of anti-Americanism during the last administration to the point where I felt I had to defend America wherever I went despite the fact I didn't agree with much of what we were doing internationally.

Since Obama came to office however the mood has changed greatly. We are beginning to win back much of the respect we lost under Bush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies