Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 03:26 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,183,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post
The title of this thread should be a little different (to reflect disparity of ad models versus U.S. population demographics). That being said, I'm right there with you. I've brought this up a few times among my friends and nobody seems to have the same thoughts. It's probably because I'm in marketing myself.

From what I've noticed in my line of work, we never get the "make sure you add a white person" line. It's often just quick "add a hispanic person and some black people" so that we don't have to worry about people focusing on our ad not including someone.

My personal belief is that ads should reflect actual demographics but reality is that companies want EVERYONE's money and the last thing they want to do is alienate minorities so they focus on making sure to include as many minorities as possible. White people will still buy stuff if there are minorities in the ads and no whites (unless it's a traditionally ethnic product).

Here's a good example: Old Spice commercials with the black guy in them. They are very popular now. White people are still going to buy Old Spice and actually find the commercials charming. But would black people have ever considered a product called "Old Spice" before a black man was featured in the ads? My opinion is that very few would have.

When I choose stock photos for the websites I maintain, I just grab whatever matches the description the best. I never specifically think about who is in the picture unless I realize there are too many men or women or white people, then I go out of my way to find one to put up when it's needed.
Considering the oldest spices come from Africa, maybe so. I actually used to where Old Spice deodorant when I was in high school. The blue one in the red container. Maybe you should do some better market analysis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 03:28 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,203,513 times
You say to get over race, but strangely you're the one tallying the ethnicities of people in mobile ads and comparing the to the demographics of the country...

Old 08-12-2010, 03:33 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,183,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrome View Post
Most people who scream loudest about race think slavery started in AMerica and that whites were never slaves in America. People who still harp on slavery tend to know the least about it.
Like you!

Old 08-12-2010, 05:51 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,826,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
You say to get over race, but strangely you're the one tallying the ethnicities of people in mobile ads and comparing the to the demographics of the country...
So is it politics or marketing?

Old 08-12-2010, 06:29 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,056,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
So all your nonsense aside you believe it is just pure marketing strategies.

Yes, I do believe that...interesting to note that you do not believe in the free market...

Old 08-12-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Yes, I do believe that...interesting to note that you do not believe in the free market...
cmon, where did I even come close to indicating I don't believe in the free market ? please ?

Old 08-12-2010, 06:54 PM

932 posts, read 1,677,858 times
Shows on television such as "How I met your mother", "Desperate Housewives", "Sex and the City" have more white people in them than any other race, however no one objects to them being on TV or counting the ratio of white people to minorities... They are just good shows.

If all you saw when you looked at the ad was the amount of non-white people are in it, you have many example of shows where you can feel satisfied that you are being represented.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:57 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Unfortunately you are right.......I cannot comprehend the liberal mindset.
What does being liberal have to do with it? Are you saying only liberals focus on race? Are you liberal? You started this dog and pony show.

A few months ago CNN ran a special which showed results of a study on very young children and their perceptions on race.

You can read a small part of it here Kids' test answers on race brings mother to tears - CNN.com

There's a lot more to this program if anyone is interested.

In our society we still project our feelings to our children. Most of our communication is non-verbal anyway. I believe most people don't intentionally project a negative perception to their children of people of color, or people who are different......most people. It still happens, and this study shows results that are worse than even I would have expected.

It's an eye opener, even if you yourself refuse to admit that there's still a problem.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
Shows on television such as "How I met your mother", "Desperate Housewives", "Sex and the City" have more white people in them than any other race, however no one objects to them being on TV or counting the ratio of white people to minorities... They are just good shows.

If all you saw when you looked at the ad was the amount of non-white people are in it, you have many example of shows where you can feel satisfied that you are being represented.
why is it so hard to understand........I don't object in the least! If all verizon wants to do is have ads with zero whites go for it!! I swear these posts are making my point........ the question is WHY?

Old 08-12-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
What does being liberal have to do with it? Are you saying only liberals focus on race? Are you liberal? You started this dog and pony show.

A few months ago CNN ran a special which showed results of a study on very young children and their perceptions on race.

You can read a small part of it here Kids' test answers on race brings mother to tears - CNN.com

There's a lot more to this program if anyone is interested.

In our society we still project our feelings to our children. Most of our communication is non-verbal anyway. I believe most people don't intentionally project a negative perception to their children of people of color, or people who are different......most people. It still happens, and this study shows results that are worse than even I would have expected.

It's an eye opener, even if you yourself refuse to admit that there's still a problem.
What Liberalism has to do with it is.....political correctness is part of the liberal mindset.
Oh I don't refuse to admit it evidence by most of the responses to a simple question on this thread! THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies