Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 05:49 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,826,878 times

Advertisements

So heres the deal , obviously as much as some of us wish that we could all just shut up about race and just consider every one human, there are those who need to keep it alive , for political and financial gain. I am standing in a Verizon wireless store today.......and I notice the various advertisement and promotional posters and pictures around the store, it struck me that in all of these pictures there was a total of 16 people......of those 16 there were only 3 white people, the rest were mostly black,a couple of orientals and the rest some sort of ethnic background, of the three whites, there were definitely no blonds or blue eyes. Why is this? Political Correctness? Have companies had to go overboard to avoid the wrath of Jesse Jackson or is just purely marketing....not very many white people in the market for cell phones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 07:51 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,305,558 times
Political Correctness is subliminal censorship.

The Media, Hollywood, Internet, we are being told what to believe,
how we should think, be green, what we should look like, what we
should wear, when to have sex, what to watch, what to . . . .

Old 08-10-2010, 08:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Badcailly race issues just drive and separate the races. Exactly why os mnay rces or nationalities decide to blend in with the culture previosly established.Look what its has done to the major cities as people ahve fled them .

Old 08-10-2010, 08:09 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
So heres the deal , obviously as much as some of us wish that we could all just shut up about race and just consider every one human, there are those who need to keep it alive , for political and financial gain. I am standing in a Verizon wireless store today.......and I notice the various advertisement and promotional posters and pictures around the store, it struck me that in all of these pictures there was a total of 16 people......of those 16 there were only 3 white people, the rest were mostly black,a couple of orientals and the rest some sort of ethnic background, of the three whites, there were definitely no blonds or blue eyes. Why is this? Political Correctness? Have companies had to go overboard to avoid the wrath of Jesse Jackson or is just purely marketing....not very many white people in the market for cell phones?
It is called marketing, they know that the main target audience for their product is the minority markets. Why? Because they tend to spend more money on accessories and electronic devices than white folks do. I do not just say this, I know it from personal observations. My church is a mix of Asian and white, and I am currently going to college. The Asian folks in my church all want the brand new, latest designs when it comes to watches, purses, jewelry, and cell phones. At the same time, other than our one Techno Geek every white person in our church uses the if you sign a contract you get this phone for free phone (myself included). It is the same in college, the minorities have all the coolest phones while the white folks use the more basic phones. (Yes, I know there are exceptions, just like there are exceptions in everything in this world).

So if you are a marketing guru trying to sell your work to a company, are you going to show them pictures of their target audience or just random folks on the street?

And now that you are thinking about it, take a look at a certain "golden" fast food chain's commercials sometime, you will find a trend there as well.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:12 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,058,406 times
If you really didn't care about race, why is it important what color any of the people in the marketing poster are?

Especially enough to run home and start a topic about the 3/16th ratio.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:31 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,058,406 times
It's a legitimate question, to react so negatively is pretty bizarre. I just came from dinner and walked thorough the mall. Past by AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile and I have no clue the race or genders of anyone in that ads there. Especially not the ratio of my own compared to everyone else in the ads. I don't have any recollection of any of the people in the ads we walked by. I remember few people to that detail, such as our server and a guy in a store helping us who had large plugs in his ears.

As William Shakespeare once said, "Methink the lady doth protest too much.", which seems to be pretty obvious when one hits a line of inquiry too close to a sensitive spot the insults come out. Especially when some one is sitting there waiting from each post for something to go after

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-11-2010 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: Deleted quoted text

Old 08-10-2010, 08:45 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,826,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
It is called marketing, they know that the main target audience for their product is the minority markets. Why? Because they tend to spend more money on accessories and electronic devices than white folks do. I do not just say this, I know it from personal observations. My church is a mix of Asian and white, and I am currently going to college. The Asian folks in my church all want the brand new, latest designs when it comes to watches, purses, jewelry, and cell phones. At the same time, other than our one Techno Geek every white person in our church uses the if you sign a contract you get this phone for free phone (myself included). It is the same in college, the minorities have all the coolest phones while the white folks use the more basic phones. (Yes, I know there are exceptions, just like there are exceptions in everything in this world).

So if you are a marketing guru trying to sell your work to a company, are you going to show them pictures of their target audience or just random folks on the street?

And now that you are thinking about it, take a look at a certain "golden" fast food chain's commercials sometime, you will find a trend there as well.
I would never had guessed that but then I am not in what you would call a real diverse area. Mcdonalds......definitely you would think that blacks would actually be offended by the overt and over the top marketing by them.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:47 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,934,560 times
Quote:
Political correctness ...Race........when will we just get over it?
When it stops paying off in cash and prizes.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:41 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,305,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
When it stops paying off in cash and prizes.
Al and Jesse are makin' a pile of money off of it.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:58 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,726,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Al and Jesse are makin' a pile of money off of it.
. . . and so is Sarah Palin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies