Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:33 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
So heres the deal , obviously as much as some of us wish that we could all just shut up about race and just consider every one human, there are those who need to keep it alive , for political and financial gain. I am standing in a Verizon wireless store today.......and I notice the various advertisement and promotional posters and pictures around the store, it struck me that in all of these pictures there was a total of 16 people......of those 16 there were only 3 white people, the rest were mostly black,a couple of orientals and the rest some sort of ethnic background, of the three whites, there were definitely no blonds or blue eyes. Why is this? Political Correctness? Have companies had to go overboard to avoid the wrath of Jesse Jackson or is just purely marketing....not very many white people in the market for cell phones?

So if a black person of Hispanic looked at the ads in particular and wondered why there weren't more black or Hispanic people in the ads would they be considered "race-obsessed?"

Yet when you do the same thing, it becomes a question of "why everyone else is so race-obsessed..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 07:41 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Badcailly race issues just drive and separate the races. Exactly why os mnay rces or nationalities decide to blend in with the culture previosly established.Look what its has done to the major cities as people ahve fled them .
You do know its so hard for a dark skinned person to blend in even with the culture. Something or someone is going to remind him he is darker than the others.

The reason its harder for blacks to blend in because they are the most physically different from the other races. For example,whites and asians have a common skin color and hair type. Now do you get it?

Old 08-11-2010, 07:51 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Well perhaps you can educate me on how to let people know the subject you are talking about with out mentioning it. Fact remains you have no intelligent contribution.
Then why cannot everyone use that argument when they talk about the subject? The same people you condemn for bringing up race may very well bring it up for the same reason you do.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 08-11-2010 at 07:59 PM..

Old 08-11-2010, 08:25 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,826,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
So if a black person of Hispanic looked at the ads in particular and wondered why there weren't more black or Hispanic people in the ads would they be considered "race-obsessed?"

Yet when you do the same thing, it becomes a question of "why everyone else is so race-obsessed..."
um...............If a black or hispanic looked around an saw there were only 3 out of 16 people that were not black or hispanic........and wondered why there were not more blacks or hispanics, I would say they either have a short coming in arithmetic or much bigger problems. ?????????????????????/

Old 08-11-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:

Lets try this another way....... do you think that the marketing genius's just grab the closest people available and throw them into ads, or do you think they carefully select individuals and the race creed and color of said individuals is well thought out.....if so why do you suppose they come up with the balance described in the op. Very straight forward question.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:41 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,304,764 times
Quote:
Lets try this another way....... do you think that the marketing genius's just grab the closest people available and throw them into ads, or do you think they carefully select individuals and the race creed and color of said individuals is well thought out.....if so why do you suppose they come up with the balance described in the op. Very straight forward question.
It is quite obvious that each person was specifically
chosen.

Right or wrong, race is played up all the time. Age is
too. Everyone wants to be 'fair'.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:41 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
um...............If a black or hispanic looked around an saw there were only 3 out of 16 people that were not black or hispanic........and wondered why there were not more blacks or hispanics, I would say they either have a short coming in arithmetic or much bigger problems. ?????????????????????/
I didn't see the fricking ads myself, so I don't know the exact numbers of ethnic makup of the ads--and you didn't mention it in you OP(ethnic-looking doesn't really describe anything). But that's not what I'm getting at...

So once again, suppose an person of some other ethinicity--let's say Hawaiian--looks at an serious of ads like you did--and they feel concerned as you said you felt that there weren't enough people of their own ethnicity on the ads---would you consider them to be race-obsessed?

Old 08-11-2010, 08:43 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,241,344 times
Quote:
You got the wrong guy, Mr Sykes, funny how you all (and I knew this would happen) try to accuse me of the very thing, you are defending, but cant really give intelligent responses. Something in the water on the left.
Where normal people see an advertisement, you see an insidious racial scheme against white people in the name of political correctness. That you would even perceive it in such a way and even allow yourself to be bothered by it so much that you would want to create a thread about it is indicative of a particularly strong personal commitment to self-victimization and racial paranoia. Next time you're in that store, do yourself a favor and check out the coverage maps and new phone displays instead.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:45 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
So let's get this straight.....you have an issue when too many non-Whites are being represented/featured/displayed in an ad?

But you wouldn't have an issue if non-Whites were not being represented/featured/displayed in an ad?

So basically you just have an issue with having to look at an ad which displays non-Whites?

And I thought that the Right Wingers were into the free market, capitalism, laissez faire and businesses being able to operate in ways that they see fit to boost their bottom line...but I guess that all goes out the window when some people have to be bothered with looking at those darn "Brown people" in advertisments and the like.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
I didn't see the fricking ads myself, so I don't know the exact numbers of ethnic makup of the ads--and you didn't mention it in you OP(ethnic-looking doesn't really describe anything). But that's not what I'm getting at...

So once again, suppose an person of some other ethinicity--let's say Hawaiian--looks at an serious of ads like you did--and they feel concerned as you said you felt that there weren't enough people of their own ethnicity on the ads---would you consider them to be race-obsessed?
No not once again .....I don't care what you are getting at, I described the exact scenario,and asked you a direct question, that is what this thread is about, this thread is not about what you want to talk about, go start your own and I might participate, or answer the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies