Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think America is the land of the free?
Yes, it is the land of the free 22 40.74%
No, it is not the land of the free 15 27.78%
No, it is not but I have hope that it will be one day. 17 31.48%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 12:40 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times

Advertisements

America is not the "land of the free". Freedoms should not be defined by your religion, sexual preference, or wealth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 12:42 PM

107 posts, read 151,513 times
I guess free is relative. As to the Declaration of Independance....well that's the ideal. I don't think perfection is realistic, but can we do better; of course. We need people who think outside the box, with integrity, and foresight. Someone who can represent the best of us and our ideals.

As to the goverment. Well, it is to a large degree who you know, and how much money you have. I live in a small town and two of the guys I went to highschool are running for mayor. Neither one are morally right, have integrity etc, or represent the best of us. But, as I sit and complain I must remember that I haven't run and this is just one example of why the goverment won't get better. Not enough people of heart and character are running. The following is one of my favorite quotes, perhaps it's something we should all take heart in and remember.

[SIZE=2]"On[/SIZE][SIZE=2]e of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."[/SIZE] -Socrates

Old 08-11-2010, 01:02 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
That recurring miracle, Election Day, is coming around. We can choose to have more freedom in the future than we have had in the recent past.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:05 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
That recurring miracle, Election Day, is coming around. We can choose to have more freedom in the future than we have had in the recent past.

SSDP (Same stuff, different party)

Old 08-11-2010, 01:29 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
What new found freedoms do you anticipate having, after the next election? I'm just curious

Does it involve repealing the IRS
or allowing me to let my dog run free on the beach without getting a fine Will I be able to grow what ever I want in my own backyard e.g. tobacco over 1/2 acre or marijuana if I just thought it made a nice house plant Can I start a hemp farm without any hassle from the government. Can I get a Ford Fiesta ECOnetic car from Europe that get's 65 MPG. Will I be able to take a trip to Cuba to pick up cigars and rum. Will my son not have to register with selective service.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:45 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
In your opinion and whatever your political or religious beliefs, is America still or was it ever the land of the free? If not, could it ever achieve the ideal as espoused in the Declaration of Independence.
I'm always the guy who has to set people straight. So, is America still the land of the free? Yes. Are there other countries that have more freedom? I don't know. I suppose it's possible. It would depend on one's criteria. But America is definitely the land of the free compared to most of the world. Is China, and its massive population, more free? How about Russia? Please don't tell me that the Middle East allows more freedom.

I'll tell you what, let's look at some Civil Rights laws, okay? Let's say that a black guy walks into my diner and I refuse to serve him based on race. I'm breaking the law and can be fined. So am I as a business owner less free than the guy who can refuse service to anyone for any reason? I suppose so. But how about that black guy? He's got more freedom because of the law. So how do you look at that scenario? I say that the law made America more free rather than less free. I'm a "half full" guy rather than a "half empty" guy.

How about gay marriage? I've got news for you guys, gay marriage is someday going to be the law of the land, someday soon. So does that make America more free or less free. Like it or not, the answer is "more free".

On the other hand, I'm not sure I want to live in a society that have limitless personal freedoms. I don't want to have my one neighbor free to carry an automatic weapon. Heck, I don't too much want him to carry a pocket knife. And I don't want the guy across the street to have the freedom to erect a civil defense siren in his yard. His car radio blaring is bad enough. So a nation with unbridled freedom isn't really something I would embrace. And I'll bet you wouldn't either.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:48 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
It is; but, far from as free as it used to be. Very far and getting further with each piece of Progressive legislation passed.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:14 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I'm always the guy who has to set people straight. So, is America still the land of the free? Yes. Are there other countries that have more freedom? I don't know. I suppose it's possible. It would depend on one's criteria. But America is definitely the land of the free compared to most of the world. Is China, and its massive population, more free? How about Russia? Please don't tell me that the Middle East allows more freedom.

I'll tell you what, let's look at some Civil Rights laws, okay? Let's say that a black guy walks into my diner and I refuse to serve him based on race. I'm breaking the law and can be fined. So am I as a business owner less free than the guy who can refuse service to anyone for any reason? I suppose so. But how about that black guy? He's got more freedom because of the law. So how do you look at that scenario? I say that the law made America more free rather than less free. I'm a "half full" guy rather than a "half empty" guy.

How about gay marriage? I've got news for you guys, gay marriage is someday going to be the law of the land, someday soon. So does that make America more free or less free. Like it or not, the answer is "more free".

On the other hand, I'm not sure I want to live in a society that have limitless personal freedoms. I don't want to have my one neighbor free to carry an automatic weapon. Heck, I don't too much want him to carry a pocket knife. And I don't want the guy across the street to have the freedom to erect a civil defense siren in his yard. His car radio blaring is bad enough. So a nation with unbridled freedom isn't really something I would embrace. And I'll bet you wouldn't either.
Great post.

Everyone looks at the word "freedom" through their own prism. None of these posts mention the freedom to own a handgun. Perhaps they don't consider it a "freedom", only a "danger, a bad sign about our society.... blah blah blah..."

But this is my point, freedom is such as overused word. Economic freedom, political freedom, sexual freedom, etc etc.

I think basically the whole point of this thread is good old-fashioned America Bashing. But that's okay, we're a resilient country, we can take it.

And when you superior Europeans need rescuing, once again, just let us know..

Old 08-12-2010, 03:34 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,961 times
Default What we used to have but don't now.

There was a time in America when your home was a castle and the government had to convince a judge that there was a really good reason to violate your home. There used to be a time when, if you were doing nothing wrong, your car would not be stopped on the roadway in a "random" search or "random" roadside safety, or sobriety test. There used to be a time when, if you were doing nothing wrong, the likelyhood that a swat team would shoot you or your pet dead was about the same as aliens landing. There used to be a time ( before the creation of security theater) when you could get on an airplane without taking off your shoes, belt, and "consent" to a full body scan. There used to be a time when your neighbors generally minded their own business. Those times are gone. Ask yourself this question: Do you feel more free than you did 10 years ago, or less free?

Old 08-12-2010, 03:41 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Totally free, no. We discriminate against those we do not understand thus we cannot be free. Freer than many other countries, absolutely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies