Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 12:03 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times

Advertisements

Prior to 9.11 I doubt that most Americans could tell the difference between a Muslim, a follower of the prophet Mohammed and a piece of Muslin, the fabric. Suddenly every Tom, Dick and Newt is a expert on the Qu'ran, Islam in general and Muslims in particular.

Why am I so skeptical? Islam is practiced by 1.4 billion people world wide divided into two major divisions with, by some estimates, another 150 subdivisions each with its own view and interpretation of the major books of Islam...

Which brings us to the underlying documents of Islamic belief.

Not only do Muslims rely on the Tanakh, and the New Testament, but like Judaism, relies on its main text, the Qu'ran, and the Hadith, but but also the Tafsir, the Sirah, and much like the Talmud an ongoing series of documented debates regarding the meaning of their holy texts.

So, what I would like to know, is how in god's green earth can so many people suddenly rise up out of nowhere feeling that they can pontificate about what Islam is as a religion much less make commentaries on what Muslims believe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 12:24 PM

88,520 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Prior to 9.11 I doubt that most Americans could tell the difference between a Muslim, a follower of the prophet Mohammed and a piece of Muslin, the fabric. Suddenly every Tom, Dick and Newt is a expert on the Qu'ran, Islam in general and Muslims in particular.

Why am I so skeptical? Islam is practiced by 1.4 billion people world wide divided into two major divisions with, by some estimates, another 150 subdivisions each with its own view and interpretation of the major books of Islam...

Not only do Muslims rely on the Tanakh, and the New Testament, but like Judaism, relies on its main text, the Qu'ran, and the Hadith, but but also the Tafsir, the Sirah, and much like the Talmud an ongoing series of documented debates regarding the meaning of their holy texts.

So, what I would like to know, is how in god's green earth can so many people suddenly rise up out of nowhere feeling that they can pontificate about what Islam is as a religion much less make commentaries on what Muslims believe?
Easy, ovcatto. They have all these Internet websites that summarize it for them! They can just read what's on there, get excited about it, and never ever have to read further, ask questions as to the veracity of the information or do any research on their own. Best of all, they never ever have to speak with or interact with any real live Muslims personally!

I did love those muslin tops and skirts and dresses we used to wear in the 70's.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:45 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Easy, ovcatto. They have all these Internet websites that summarize it for them! They can just read what's on there, get excited about it, and never ever have to read further, ask questions as to the veracity of the information or do any research on their own. Best of all, they never ever have to speak with or interact with any real live Muslims personally!

I did love those muslin tops and skirts and dresses we used to wear in the 70's.
Bull, I have read Muslim Leaders and Scholars and seen them on their TV programmes in the Middle East. It is not hard to learn what is going on nor what they believe in general, unless you think there is a conspiracy to distort their writings and speeches. Also, prior to 911 I was quite aware of Islam. The real question is why are you so slow to understand its global objectives and push for global sharia which cannot tolerate any other system - period - and why do you seemingly always come to Islam's defence?

Old 08-15-2010, 12:57 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times
Quote:

Islam has as many sects and cults as Christianity does, and then some.

Religion spreads in a unique way. It usually incorporates the customs and religions of the surrounding community and region to meet its own needs. Thats why Voodoo is really a sect of Christianity, in a way.

The same thing happened with Christianity in the beginning of it. Some sects felt that physical love between people was the ultimate way of showing homage to Christ, so they had orgies in the name of Christ. Others felt they had to whip themselves and crucify themselves just like what happened to Christ. And all points in between. Some believed in some books and testaments, others did not.

The Romans didn't like all of this disorder, so thats why they made one book, one religion, with one leader, the Romans.

Islam is really quite similar to Christianity in this, but they don't have one specific leader. Their leader was a warrior who never wrote down a word of the Qur'an. Which doesn't leave much weight to that holy book, if you want my opinion.

The fact is, saying you hate all Muslims for what a small group has done, is like saying you hate all Christians, because a Baptist follower bombed an abortion clinic.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:59 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,963 times
Quote:

We don't have to be muslim to know what it teaches. The koran says to kill the infidel. That's enough for me.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:01 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
We don't have to be muslim to know what it teaches. The koran says to kill the infidel. That's enough for me.
Deuteronomy 17
If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in transgressing his covenant; 17:3 And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded; 17:4 And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel; 17:5 Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die.

I'm going to keep posting this, everytime someone brings up that religions say to kill someone.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:02 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The fact is, saying you hate all Muslims for what a small group has done, is like saying you hate all Christians, because a Baptist follower bombed an abortion clinic.
What is this - who said anything about hating all muslims - is that what you reduce every thread about Islam too?

Old 08-15-2010, 01:03 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Have you read the Koran? Have you read that bit in context?

The Bible says a whole lot of evil things if pulled out of context too. Guess we should hate all of those Christians as well. After all, Eric Rudolph killed a bunch of people and the Bible says, "If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him." (Deuteronomy 13:7-12 NAB) Eric Rudolph MUST represent the majority of that "religion of peace".

Old 08-15-2010, 01:04 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Deuteronomy 17
If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in transgressing his covenant; 17:3 And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded; 17:4 And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel; 17:5 Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die.

I'm going to keep posting this, everytime someone brings up that religions say to kill someone.
Why do you and others think this is a competiton with Christianity and Islam? Another strawman.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:05 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Why do think this is a competiton with Christianity and Islam? Another strawman.
Why do you make judgments about Islam when you will not hold the same standards to Christianity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies