Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 05:46 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times

Advertisements

The Muslim world is overwhelmingly composed of peaceful individuals who are not violent. That being said, the Muslim world contains a disproportionately higher number of terrorists that base their actions on religious principles than any other faith group. When the Muslim community is approached with this, they get defensive as opposed to taking a more proactive approach by admitting there is a problem and that it should be addressed. They will respond with things like "There are terrorists who were Christian and Jewish too" That does nothing to rectify the situation aside from creating more resentment and doing nothing to curb the growing violent fundamentalist population among them.

Similarly, the South responds in the same way. The overwhelming number of Southerners are not racist yet when approached about their disproportionately higher number of hate crime events, hate crime groups, history of racist events, history of electing openly racist politicians, they get defensive and claim the rest of America has the same problems. The rest of America has those problems but not to the same degree that is found in the South. And I think even Southerners are aware of this but unfortunately respond with a defensive retort out of some misguided sense of pride.

Neither actions benefit either community. I think the rest of the country would view the South differently if they stopped taking this denial approach and instead started working to correct those mistakes done by their predecessors regarding race relations. Similarly, Muslims would probably be embraced more if they more openly decried the actions of Muslim terrorists and took a more a active role in addressing the violent fundamentalist segment of their community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 06:31 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times

Old 08-15-2010, 06:49 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The Muslim world is overwhelmingly composed of peaceful individuals who are not violent. That being said, the Muslim world contains a disproportionately higher number of terrorists that base their actions on religious principles than any other faith group. When the Muslim community is approached with this, they get defensive as opposed to taking a more proactive approach by admitting there is a problem and that it should be addressed. They will respond with things like "There are terrorists who were Christian and Jewish too" That does nothing to rectify the situation aside from creating more resentment and doing nothing to curb the growing violent fundamentalist population among them.

Similarly, the South responds in the same way. The overwhelming number of Southerners are not racist yet when approached about their disproportionately higher number of hate crime events, hate crime groups, history of racist events, history of electing openly racist politicians, they get defensive and claim the rest of America has the same problems. The rest of America has those problems but not to the same degree that is found in the South. And I think even Southerners are aware of this but unfortunately respond with a defensive retort out of some misguided sense of pride.

Neither actions benefit either community. I think the rest of the country would view the South differently if they stopped taking this denial approach and instead started working to correct those mistakes done by their predecessors regarding race relations. Similarly, Muslims would probably be embraced more if they more openly decried the actions of Muslim terrorists and took a more a active role in addressing the violent fundamentalist segment of their community.
September 11 Terrorist Attack - Muslim Scholars Condemn September 11 Terrorist Attack

Leading American Islamic scholars speak out against extremism and violence - Baltimore Muslim | Examiner.com

Muslims against Terrorism (http://www.islamfortoday.com/terrorism.htm - broken link)

Muslim Advocates Against Violence (MAAV)

Need I continue?

There are groups in the south that hold onto old ideals of racial purity. No more than any other region, in fact, I remember a study that white supremacists are growing larger in the Western states, not in the south. Actually, if you came down here, you'd realize that we are quite careful not to step on any racial toes most of the time. Whites and Blacks neither one want to go back to the old ways.

I speak as a southern man, born and breed. I know how things used to be, and I see how they are now. I can promise you, its not nearly as bad as it used to be. Even in the 80's, there was a time when things were still quite bad on the racial front. Not so today my friend, not so today.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:52 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,003,662 times
Quote:

As someone from an old Southern family who lived 30 formative years in Dixie, I'd say Southerners have more in common with Japanese:

Polite on the outside, violent inside; although the Japanese are far more sucessful in limiting their societal violence than are Southerners.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:11 PM

402 posts, read 853,476 times
Default Dead

Racism in the South is dead. When will the rest of the country realize that?

Old 08-15-2010, 07:14 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,331,463 times
I find the North to be much more segregated than the South. JMO

Old 08-15-2010, 07:21 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,783,157 times
Quote:

This is a joke thread, right? Yep, better watch out for them Southern Muslims, they wave the Confederate Flag in one hand, while beating you over the head with the Quran in the other.....

Old 08-15-2010, 07:59 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,012,069 times
Southerners at least have a code of honor, which does not include suicide bombing infidels.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:02 PM

37 posts, read 106,766 times
Quote:

couldn't agree more.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:15 PM

74 posts, read 125,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I find the North to be much more segregated than the South. JMO
I don't think either are "segregated". I don't know if I understand what you are saying.

I don't know the stats, but I feel since the south has the history, if there is a case of racism exposed then it gets blown up a little more.

but I doubt anyone can deny that there has been progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies