Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 01:40 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
Show of hands:
how many white folks here were alive while there were slaves?
What does this have to do with recognizing racism that exists today? Now who's the one dragging up the old slavery argument?

Quote:
this kind of very narrow and victim baited thinking will be sure to keep you enslaved for many more years
this type of horse crap belongs to you, my friend
I will not feel guilty because back when I did not live there were slaves
so get over trying to drag me into your jail of where you keep yourself locked up
You shouldn't feel guilty......what benefit will it be for whites to feel guilty about slavery? I wonder why a common response is "I will not be made to feel guilty about slavery!"........

Quote:
I used to be enslaved to alcohol and other drugs, I was in a prsion too, of my own making

Quote:
I don't do that any more
I got sick and tired of being sick and tired and got clean and sober
when I did the 4th step of the 12 steps I was told to take a personal inventory of my resentments
I had held on to so many it was amazing, to resent means to re-feel
I had re-lived so much in my own head it was making me misrable
but you are hanging on to resentments that you did not even live yourself
salvery was wrong, so was the abuse I went through as a child, but I looked at it and let it go
keep your resentments if you want, but don't expect me to feel sorry for you
I don't
Congrats on getting clean and sober. But if you think this whole discussion is about blacks needing to get over slavery, then perhaps another "personal inventory" is in order?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 01:41 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,304,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Something tells me you don't know how to lighten up and take a joke. Nice try at sarcasm though...unfortunately, FAIL!

I need to lighten up. Heh heh heh. That was not sarcasm.
You can't be working hard and posting at the same time!!!!!!

You don't ever respond to a direct, (or implied) question, do you?

Old 08-20-2010, 01:43 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
]Okay, I've read about two dozen posts and now I'm going to weigh in with the correct point of view, which is what everyone has been waiting for me to do.

The Oracle is about to speak.....SILENCE!

First, the original post is in fact a loaded question. And no, it was not asked sincerely. It isn't that such a question can't be asked sincerely, because it could be possible. If an 8 year-old newly immigrated Somolian asked the question, then it very well could be asked sincerely. Unfortunately the original poster has stated that he has a basic dislike for white people, this dislike based on American history in general and slavery in particular. So no, the original question was not asked sincerely.

Loaded with what? Uh....thanks Dr Larry. Nice try of poisoning the well. Its a popular argument fallacy. Attempt to discredit the person who asked the question and then one does not really have to answer the question. Brilliant move.....NOT! I have never stated that I have a dislike for white people. What I have simply done is restate the facts of history and YOU must feel that SHOULD make me not like white people. I hold no animosity for white people. My position is intellectual and not emotional.

Now let me continue... Members of different cultures can offend members of other cultures through simple cultural differences. If the consumption of acholol is seen as offensive to one culture but not another, then which culture's views take priority. Is it the majority rules? Is it simply a case of refraining from doing what another finds culturally offensive? I don't know the answer to that.

Thats true....but there is no culture difference here. Its understood in the American culture that white people using the N word is offensive to black people....PERIOD! The issue is whites not wanting to respect that

As for identifying actual racism, I always give the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure I've been victimized by some low-level racism and chalked it up as just another person acting assholish, but that's how I negotiate a multi-racial society. A lot of people see racism where there is none. The Hallmark card fiasco is a prime example. An example from the other side of the street would be the Shirley Sherrod debacle. That was more a case of jumping the gun based on slanted evidence.

Here we go again....the only way to address white racism is to attempt to equalize the experiece by suggesting that whites experieces the same thing from blacks....so its a wash...ohhhhhh brother (whites are now VICTIMS...lol). yeah and don't forget the Duke Lacross rape allegation were the lady claims racism. The truth of the matter is that people take advantage of situations. There are people who fake injury to collect workmans comp, people claim rape that were not rapped, people claim that they were robbed by black people who killed their wife when they actually did it, people call into work saying that a relaitve died and that they will be off of work a few day when its not true, people take peoples investments in a pyramid scheme telling them that its legit and its not true....etc. I could go on and on. However, my point is the the existance of deception does not eliminate or reduce the existance of truth. If there were a million cases or REAL racial discrimination last year.......a million false claims will not change the truth of the existance of the real claims. I have no problem acknowleging the problem and issue of deception and false claims....but its simply WRONG to attempt to use the existance of deception to hide or caste aspersion of the existance of truth.....

All wrongheaded claims of racism, especially those that make national news, have a kind of "crying wolf" effect on racism in general. Many of the posts in this thread are in some manner expressing exactly that sentiment, as well as describing the cumulative effect. The posts are not saying that racism does not exist, or that many claims of racism are erroneous. But accusations of racism, no matter who states them, best be valid, or subsequent accusations will get progressive lesser attention.

No one doubts that and that is why people should not base their opinion on the prevelance of racism on NEWS REPORTS!!! There are countless studies done each year demonstrating how racism is still a big problem. Its makes absolutely no sense to seek understanding of the prevelence of a national phenomenon by simply focusing on cases of racism that make news. There is scholarly RESEARCH done by universities that takes many variables into consideration and control to produce their findings......and these findings are generally ignored by the white public.

If one is drawing their opinion from headline news......then one is not educated. I can tell one thing for sure....black perceptions of racism does not come from what we here in the media...it comes from what we live and experience....and not the media or so called black leaders.
I have reread all the posts from last night and read the new ones from to day. You state that all these studies take place and the findings are generally ignored by the white public. How do you know that? You continually make generalizations such as this and state that you realize that not all whites are racist. But the permeating thought throughout your posts is that white people think they are superior and don't understand the hardships of blacks. You don't provide data for any of this so I will assume this is your opinion. You continually repeat your disdain for white people but think it's wrong if white people stereotype. What exactly do you think YOU are doing. Obviously nothing can change if everyone holds on to their ill conceived ideas. It hurts the situation...not helps. We can all find fault in those around us but we can only change what is inside of us.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Fine. Run and hide.

Let the record reflect that you refused to back up your own statement. You came on here, guns blazing and talking trash. And when someone called you on it, when someone actually questioned one of your points, you slinked around for hours before tut-tutting and acting as this is all beneath you.

Seems to me if you think you are right, you might want to- you know- back it up. Of course you cannot as it is merely the thinly-veiled name calling I thought it was.

But for the sake of posterity:

"There are many whites who tout Hitler. Saying it isn't so is an intellectual embarrassment."
--ChocLot

Hmmm...an intellectual embarrassment. Yes, it most certainly is just that.
Your attempts to "serve" me are ridiculous. I made my claim (in answer to the claim that blacks tout MLK...a claim that has yet to be supported in any capacity). I supported it by stating that the "many" include the thousands that are in the Aryan Brotherhood and the thousands of skinheads. That wasn't good enough.. though you agree that these groups do in fact tout Hitler, now you want exact numbers. Pathetic and SUPER lame. Why am I not surprised?

Let the record reflect: that some people make me laugh.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Not that hard.

You may be at work.

You may be working hard here.

But, you ain't hard at work.

I am beginning to see why communicating with you is so difficult.

Are you being paid by ACORN or a public entity? Am I paying you to post?

Old 08-20-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I need to lighten up. Heh heh heh. That was not sarcasm.
You can't be working hard and posting at the same time!!!!!!
duh..hence the "humor" aspect of my post.

Quote:
You don't ever respond to a direct, (or implied) question, do you?
Yes.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Are you being paid by ACORN or a public entity? Am I paying you to post?
I wish....do you need my bank acct # for the direct deposit?

Old 08-20-2010, 01:50 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
hey, I have not run anywhere, I am right here and you have not shown any
TRUTH and EVIDENCE
LOL
what you have shown is you are the one with bigoted feelings
but, that's okay. keep them
as Dr Phil would say " how's that working for you"
I have had a great day and I am going to have a great evening and a great week end
the thoughts of race will not keep me bound, nor the anger you are having
because you have not gotten the "white guilt" you were looking for
sorry I am not guilty because you are pissed at white folks
I was referring to posters not wanting to admit the connotations of the colors "black" and "white" and how one is more associated with evil and the other with goodness and purity. The other truth was my mention of RESEARCH studies and findings that whites reject.

Study suggests bias against 'black' names on resumes | HR Magazine | Find Articles at BNET
Environmental Racism Study Finds Levels Of Inequality Defy Simple Explanation
Study: Racist Attitudes Are Still Ingrained - TIME
You may be more racist than you think, study says - CNN.com
Racism still blights southern US juries: study | Raw Story
Even Racism Is Biased In White People, Says Study - Prejudice Is Distributed Unequally

I can go on and on with these studies as they are very prevelent for anyone who seek KNOWLEGE from a source other than HEADLINE media news.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:51 PM

Buddy 5 that was meant for choclot...sry.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:51 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I have reread all the posts from last night and read the new ones from to day. You state that all these studies take place and the findings are generally ignored by the white public. How do you know that? You continually make generalizations such as this and state that you realize that not all whites are racist. But the permeating thought throughout your posts is that white people think they are superior and don't understand the hardships of blacks. You don't provide data for any of this so I will assume this is your opinion. You continually repeat your disdain for white people but think it's wrong if white people stereotype. What exactly do you think YOU are doing. Obviously nothing can change if everyone holds on to their ill conceived ideas. It hurts the situation...not helps. We can all find fault in those around us but we can only change what is inside of us.

Study suggests bias against 'black' names on resumes | HR Magazine | Find Articles at BNET
Environmental Racism Study Finds Levels Of Inequality Defy Simple Explanation
Study: Racist Attitudes Are Still Ingrained - TIME
You may be more racist than you think, study says - CNN.com
Racism still blights southern US juries: study | Raw Story
Even Racism Is Biased In White People, Says Study - Prejudice Is Distributed Unequally
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies