Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 11:56 PM

7,539 posts, read 11,386,586 times

Advertisements

I agree with those who put this on the enviroment but I have a different take. I think kids model what they see from their enviroments and feed off of it.

If Black kids in poor urban and rural enviroments aren't SEEING many examples of people who have benefited from being educated then that will be something that won't stick to them. I mean,if you ask a kid in a housing project to point to people in that enviroment that have benefited from being educated more than likely they can't point to hardly anyone because all they see in their enviroment are poor,unemployed and under employed people. Likewise if you ask a kid in a middle class enviroment to point to people who have benefited from being educated in their neighborhood more than likely they can point to several people.

So in a way each kid's enviroment shapes their outlook on education. So for the poor kid in the project either you will need to bring in educated Blacks for them to SEE or take them out of their enviroment to expose them to other Blacks and other educated people in general who can make being educated seem more relevant to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 12:46 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,516,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I agree with those who put this on the enviroment but I have a different take. I think kids model what they see from their enviroments and feed off of it.

If Black kids in poor urban and rural enviroments aren't SEEING many examples of people who have benefited from being educated then that will be something that won't stick to them. I mean,if you ask a kid in a housing project to point to people in that enviroment that have benefited from being educated more than likely they can't point to hardly anyone because all they see in their enviroment are poor,unemployed and under employed people. Likewise if you ask a kid in a middle class enviroment to point to people who have benefited from being educated in their neighborhood more than likely they can point to several people.

So in a way each kid's enviroment shapes their outlook on education. So for the poor kid in the project either you will need to bring in educated Blacks for them to SEE or take them out of their enviroment to expose them to other Blacks and other educated people in general who can make being educated seem more relevant to them.
that is current k12 theory. it is the entire theory behind busing.
it has not worked. all that has occurred is the good schools have been badly disrupted and resentment has grown towards being with so many that have so much more than them.
the k12 has failed to do what the community must do, provide strong male role models at home.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:53 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,581,357 times
You know this issue isn't just a problem for the black community but a very scary situation for American society as whole. We as Americans have a crisis on our hands when we have half of our black male youngsters not even earning a high school diploma which is at the minimum what is required for most unskilled employment.
It is true that college degrees among blacks have been increasing but it's disproportionate where black females hold more college degrees than black males do.
Perhaps 30 years ago a high school diploma would have made one an employable person but that is no longer the case in this economy. We need to find solutions to keeping these kids in high school and graduate.
For starters I would abolish the ability for a student to drop out unless due to hardship circumstances.
Another idea would be to not issue driver licenses to drop outs or not hire those who failed to graduate or keep their grades up. Some of these ideas may seem Draconian but we have to impart to these kids that their future is going to bleak without a high school diploma at a minimum. I'm sure there are other ideas & solutions but it's time to stop playing the blame game already.
A black community where only 47% of young black males graduate is a detriment to not only the black community but to us all as a society.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:43 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,314,323 times
Everyone has school choice.
You can choose to pay for private schooling or enjoy the tax-payer provided education.
Taxes should not cover private education.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:06 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,567,330 times
those darn racist teachers <sarcasm>
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Less Than Half of Black Male Students Are Graduating - COLORLINES

" Depressing but important research: The graduation rate for black male students in the 2007/2008 school year was a lousy 47 percent. And half of all states had black male graduation rates below the overall national average. This data comes from the Schott Foundation for Public Education’s most recent report on how well schools are doing in educating black men. ColorLines’ publisher, the Applied Research Center, produced the video above explaining the Schott report’s overall findings. (Disclosure: The Schott Foundation is among ARC’s funders.) "

Folks we are on are way to being the next South Africa - a place where a few rich Whites and Asians are surrounded by throngs of desperate non Eurasian poor. In our society h.s. + a technical field is a minimum to be financially self sufficient.

How do we solve this problem? Do you favor a carrots (rewards for graduating) or sticks (forcing ppl to graduate by eliminating welfare), or something else?

Old 08-22-2010, 07:35 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,930,587 times
the graduation numbers across the board are depressing. yes, more depressing for blacks, but i cant believe states like georgia and florida have under a 60 percent grad rate across the board. here is a great table.

http://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/cr_baeo_t1.htm

and you shouldnt just be focusing on blacks. the latinos have a lower grad percentage then blacks according to the table. and whites, the supposed exemplary shining lights, are in the 60's and 70's in numerous states.

in general, like i stated earlier, the average american regardless of race is just becoming dumber.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,595,619 times
Well it doesn't help when your mother is 12-15 years old. What kind of maturity do they have to raise a kid ? Kid turns 5 and mother is but 18-20..still partying it up as a teen.

It has to start in the home, like Bill Cosby said. Bad/no parenting just keeps the cycle going for the next generation who seem to become worse then their parents who had them.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:46 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,186,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
High school is NOT hard. All you have to do is show up 90% of the time, do most of your homework, and not sleep in class.
I was stoned AND slept in most of my classes and still graduated.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:58 AM

23,597 posts, read 17,283,784 times
This is not about class warfare.

This is about not having the passion to learn instilled by parents, family and the community. All the money in the world cannot replace the 'desire' to learn.

Using an 18th century educational strategy along with 19th century teachers unions will ensure the education for ALL children will be predictably diminished.

Redirect current educational funding away from a bloated system of school districts and the wasteful herd of administrators and social scientists.

Eliminate tenure which ensures poor teachers will suck the future from our children.

Eliminate any organization for participating in the educational system if they cannot figure out a way to gauge their members' performance.

Most of all, realize that public education is a downstream application that requires prerequisite dreams, goals, vision, desire and role models.

You will probably get a free lunch at school but motivation is rarely served.

Realize the fate of any given student is in the hands of their parents and family.

There is no infinite linear relationship between money and production of an educated society.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:11 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,930,587 times
i have 2009 high school grad rates that i can post if people want them. breaks down the percent of people who graduated in 4 years and graduation percentage by race compared to the national average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies