Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 09:21 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
No, not the Ground Zero mosque, but any mosque.

Would you want a mosque three blocks from your home complete with a tower and muezzin calling the faithful to prayer five times a day through a loudspeaker?
No lip service please, just be honest.

This issue has come up in Dearborn, MI.
NO and I'd probably shoot the speakers with a 30.06...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 09:42 AM

475 posts, read 571,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
NO and I'd probably shoot the speakers with a 30.06...
Classy.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:58 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Quote:

Would you want a mosque three blocks from your home complete with a tower and muezzin calling the faithful to prayer five times a day through a loudspeaker?

I think it would depend on whether the muezzin was off-key or not.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:14 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Religious freedom. It has nothing to do with the fact it's a mosque in particular. If it was a synagogue or a Kingdom Hall or a temple, I would still support it. Again, why? Freedom of religion.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:15 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strel View Post
i think it would depend on whether the muezzin was off-key or not.
lol.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:19 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:

There's just nothing like Americans 'embracing diversity'.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:19 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aran View Post
Classy.
Hey what to expect from people with no tolerance for other cultures?

Old 08-24-2010, 11:22 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aran View Post
I'd rather not have any religious institution within a few miles of me, but if they're willing to buy, develop, and maintain the property as well as positively contribute to the area and be good neighbors I really don't feel that I, or anyone who isn't the person financing the endeavor, have a say in it.
I have seen some Islamic centers in some fairly nice neighborhoods in some affliuent areas of the country. They are extremely well kept and hardly noticeable unless you stop to look and see what they are.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:08 AM

205 posts, read 239,541 times
I can't believe you people!!! Are you Americans born in this country??? Let's look at the facts. First obama gets on TV and states if Jones burns quran this will put our military in Jeopardy!!! Question why did he say that??
I thought Muslims are all about peace and helping their fellow man!! Obama is right he will not call terrorist radical Islam because they are one of the same just a different division. Yet they want to stop us from praying in school, burn the American flag, hang other flags above our flag that men on battle fields gave their life for. Take in God we trust off our money remove Moses and 10 commandments from our legislation branches of government!!!! Destroy our Constitution by making it Nell and void. Then in the end take away our Bibles and guns so they can kill and imprison us!!! Then if you are lucky while you are imprisoned you will hear the bell to have dinner, as one stated it doesn’t bother me to hear bells go off.
It amazes me they want to use freedom of religion and all our freedoms from the Constitution for their benefit but to us to use it we are prejudice and trouble makers and we stupid Americans and have to keep having to defend ourselves. We say oh no we are not prejudice, yes please build a Mosque on ground zero as a monument to Muslim heroes and how they destroyed icons in United States and make us look like pansies and a laughing stalk to the world. Even worse to show other terrorist how they resurrected a monument for fallen comrades who received all awards and honor from Allah .Now you see new Muslim member terrorist, I told you they are all infidels and Allah wants them all destroyed, so then the true Muslims can take over United States and claim as our own as the infidels did from the Indians. Oh by the way if you think well, I will just become a Muslim then as many stupid Americans have done. This will work as long as they can use you or until they take total control and then you will be the first killed. Why because they are proud evil people and just like Germany found out only 1 true race Muslims and not want to be Muslims and everybody including want to be’s will be destroyed.
Yes after the Muslims take full control you know all those nice Muslims that live around you? They will get word to kill you as Allah wants this done as the Jews were done in Germany. The blacks will become slaves again because they will follow Obama and his cronies off the cliff as it shows in the polls. They say Oh he is black got to keep him in there!!! No on the contrary Obama isn't black he is a Muslim first and fore most. He went to third world countries and told them he will destroy USA so they will have free reign to come over here and take us over. He doesn't care about no one but himself, just look what he has done so far!!! By the way anything the government gives you it can take back and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. But Obama will wait till you are used to it then he will pull the rug out from under you and hopefully you will kill yourself and save him the trouble.
If the American people do not get their head out of their ass you will loose everything you are accustomed to. Obama wants to get rid of net doesn't want us to be able to communicate which makes us easy single targets. Your cell phones, laptops guns jewel ect... Your big houses your country clubs your jobs will all go and be given to Muslims coming over here because of open border policy you let happen. Why does obama want to open up borders? He doesn't give a damn about the Mexicans and the blacks they are second terrorist to him. Why? They will get mad and ***** moan and groan at the drop of a hat. Obama uses them to keep the Americans busy why he puts his plan into operation. As you notice we are constantly apologizing to them even fox news and talk show host are falling right in his plan. We keep telling the blacks we are not prejudice and the Mexicans that we are being more then fair to their nationality. The same with the mosque being built another way to keep us busy while Obama steals everything we have. Look people, he has taken 6 vacations and wants us to take pay cuts!!! His wife goes on extravagant vacations and you are stupid if you can't read the writing on the wall!!!!
He wants to tax the rich people this is a ploy every stupid politician has told us, ever since I learned English. The SOB made 5 million dollars and God only knows how much he is raking in now!!! I bet my house, 5 million is a drop in the bucket to what he has now!!!! Hell we can’t look at whose social security number he is using or have his birth certificate on display for all to see!!! People he is not a citizen of this country, all though I do love the way he runs the spineless democrats around.
Let me let you simple minded people on a secret the rich create jobs not the middle class and or poor. If you tax the rich they are not going to feel it THEY HAVE MONEY!!!! Do you think they are going to be on the streets??? This only stops them from investing in business opportunities and stock markets to create jobs for us YOU IDIOTS!!!! This is part of obama’s plan he can control you easier if you don’t have a job and no security to rely on !!! Then when he steps in to help you by giving Alms to the poor you will be so grateful, you sucker!!!
It was like when gas was 4 dollars a gallon, I stated man they need to raise gas higher and lower diesel people stated are you nuts? I said you have blinders on, by raising diesel higher then gasoline that makes everyone pay more for products at the stores. They have to tack the price of diesel on the product and services you buy every day which is a hell of a lot more money then raising gas another 25 cents. What is happening in this country is that the men are wearing panties and being feminine while the women are trying to run this country!!!
If there are women that want Muslim government, I would like to ask you why?? Let’s see they want to turn you into a slave, a baby factory and make you dress a certain way basically treat you worse then their dogs. Please let me know why you feel you want this for your life!!! Well come to think of it Damner had more women after him and wanted to marry him, scratch that already know why.
All of you need to copy this and look at it because when it happens and Obama shuts down the net then you will have a copy to know what is going to happen.
People this country is in trouble if we don’t take it back and close our borders then we will be destroyedL I hate all politicians they do not care about us, none of them. But what we had in the past is the less of the 2 evils and I would take Nixon in the white house least he is American. Even bill Clinton that lying SOB is running from Obama because he cannot believe how ruthless Obama and his cronies are. As far as I am concerned democrats or republicans they are only for themselves but I really feel our politicians are looking at the polls and know that the American people will not take their crap any more. Please send this to all your email recipients we have got to unite and put republicans (throwing up) back in to take control and take power from the dictator in office now. Then once we can control again then we change America for the betterJ
Obama when he was in Illinois was trying to take guns away from the citizens here is food for thought

A LITTLE GUN HISTORY

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953,
about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded
up and exterminated.
------------------------------

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million
Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total
of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were
rounded up and exterminated..

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million
political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
exterminated

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000
Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
exterminated.
---- ------------- -------------

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000
Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
exterminated.

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million
educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
exterminated.
-----------------------------

Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century
because of gun control: 56 million.

It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by
new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their
own Government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500
million dollars. The first year results are now in:

List of 7 items:

Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent.

Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent.

Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300
percent. Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the
criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns!

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in
armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the
past 12 months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is
unarmed.

There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the
ELDERLY. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public
safety has decreased, after such monumental effort, and expense was
expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns. The
Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it.

You won't see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians
disseminating this information.

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes,
gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note my fellow Americans, before it's too late!

The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them
of this history lesson.

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

During WWII the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew
most Americans were ARMED!

If you value your freedom, please spread this anti-gun control message
to all of your friends.

The purpose of fighting is to win.. There is no possible victory in
defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more
important than either. The final weapon is the brain.. All else is
supplemental.
SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY HOUSEHOLD A GUN! SWITZERLAND 'S GOVERNMENT
TRAINS EVERY ADULT THEY ISSUE A RIFLE. SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN
RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!
IT'S A NO BRAINER! DON'T LET OUR GOVERNMENT WASTE MILLIONS OF OUR TAX
DOLLARS IN AN EFFORT TO MAKE ALL LAW ABIDING CITIZENS AN EASY TARGET.
I'm a firm believer of the 2nd Amendment! If you are too, please copy
and send it to everyone you know. Even stupid people!!!

When I was a kid my father was a gun nut he taught us respect for guns and these7 golden rules that I will let you in on.
1. First never point a gun at anything that you do not intend shooting at.
2. Guns do not kill people, PEOPLE DO!!!
3. AN UNLOADED GUN WILL KILL YOU!!!
4. Why?? Because people always say I didn’t know the gun was loaded!!!
5. When your life is in danger shoot to kill do not try to wound.
6. Keep experience in using a gun so that you don’t have to think how to use one in emergency.
7. The people who don’t know or don’t like guns end up having to use them.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:48 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
This appeared in the NY Times Page A1 back in December 2009 sowhy did the controversy just come to light in July 2010, do you think th epoliticians may have assisted in making a molehill into a mountain?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/09/ny.../09mosque.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies