Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2010, 10:02 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Pigeonhole much? Or maybe it's just rampant generalization. Or perhaps the arrogance of assumption in your post about a non-proven, yet assumed position that you hold other positions to is precisely the thing you rage so hard against?
Hmmm...I give that a 2/10 on the troll scale, and a 3/10 on the personal flame meter.

Perhaps if you actually listened to what christians who hate on atheists are saying, you'd see I was closer to the mark than you want me to be. But I understand that makes you quite uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 10:03 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
In regards to CDF, atheists attack the christians because they have a sub-forum and show up in heavy numbers. The Muslims who post here submit largely unintelligable translator failed Koran versus sprinkled with run-on sentences and nonsense. Plus, Christians generally won't kill you anymore for disagreeing with them. Much more conducive for a possibly fruitful debate.
But they like to attack others. And in your case, you attacked Islam. Why? Perhaps for similar reasons atheists manage to get on the typical "Christian's" nerves?

Old 08-27-2010, 10:04 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Hmmm...I give that a 2/10 on the troll scale, and a 3/10 on the personal flame meter.

Perhaps if you actually listened to what christians who hate on atheists are saying, you'd see I was closer to the mark than you want me to be. But I understand that makes you quite uncomfortable.
Not Christian. No discomfort. I just spot a zealot whether they wear a cross or not.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:05 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
I just want to put out a few things.

First off, people are homophobic, misogynistic, racist...etc. Not religions. Religions may teach homophobia, misogyny, racism, etc. but it's up to the individual to accept or reject those teachings. Not all Muslims and Christians hold the same beliefs. There is a great variety of beliefs within each religion. There are a good number of Christians and Muslims, who reject the extremist and bigoted verses of their holy texts. There are other Christians and Muslims who hold onto these verses and use them to justify bigotry. In either case, it's the individual who chooses what they believe. And because of this, it makes little sense to decry Islam or Christianity as a whole, because in reality, these individuals are not unified in a belief, they are only unified in a label.

Secondly, just because someone is for the freedom to express religion does not mean they support the tenants taught by every religion. There is a crucial difference between fighting for the right to have a voice, and fighting for what the voice is saying. In this regard, I can only speak for myself, but I imagine there are others out there who agree with me. I don't always agree with what the voice is saying, but I do fight for the right for that voice to speak. This means that some Christians may preach racism, some Muslims may preach homophobia, etc., and while I disagree with both stances, I don't agree with the desire to censor them or suppress them.

That said, I don't condone violence in the name of religion. And I imagine there are many others who would agree with me. To have a belief and to voice it is one thing. To commit crimes in the name of a religion is another thing entirely. While I support with all my heart the right to voice one's opinion, I absolutely do not support the right to hurt or even harass others. This applies to Christianity and Islam alike. There is no double standard.

It may seem like a double standard because many liberals do complain more about Christians than they do Muslims. I think this has to do with level of contact. I imagine that if we spent any amount of time in a predominantly Muslim country, our frustrations and disagreements with Islam would be more on the forefront of our minds, much like how the tensions with one's parents become much more apparent when living with them every day, but fade more into the background when moving away. Christians are close to home, so the clash in beliefs are more apparent, like the 17 year old who gets caught in the small everyday stuff and talks about how she hates her parents and can't wait to get out. But Muslims are a minority in the U.S. and Islam is by large an abstract for most Americans, so it's easier for liberals to put their opinion of Islam into perspective, like the college student who feels like she can finally get along with her mother now that she's moved away.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
But they like to attack others. And in your case, you attacked Islam. Why? Perhaps for similar reasons atheists manage to get on the typical "Christian's" nerves?
Christians, Muslims, Atheists, whoever, attack others because they have a belief system that they assume to be correct. They then judge others by that belief system. It just so happens that the Christians are condescending, the Atheists are snarky and rude, and the Muslims will blow your head off. That's why I don't really care for the Muslims out of the bunch.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:09 PM

This is a gem... Atheism, like everything else on Conservapedia. Well, it looks like to American social (religious) conservatives, there is Christianity and then there is Atheism.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Christians, Muslims, Atheists, whoever, attack others because they have a belief system that they assume to be correct. They then judge others by that belief system. It just so happens that the Christians are condescending, the Atheists are snarky and rude, and the Muslims will blow your head off. That's why I don't really care for the Muslims out of the bunch.
Well, you just did. So, when is the esplosion scheduled?

Old 08-27-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
This is a gem... Atheism, like everything else on Conservapedia. Well, it looks like to American social (religious) conservatives, there is Christianity and then there is Atheism.
Yes. Brutal link. I'm not quite sure I get your 2nd post though....

Old 08-27-2010, 10:20 PM

785 posts, read 619,481 times
Quote:
The idea of oppression ceases to exist when you don't practice it at ANY level. But you seem to believe, and are sticking with it, that one can be an oppressor and not really deserve to be called as such. Aah, the good old "as long as it is not me", the whimisical "I get to pick" logic, grandpa?

First, your grandpa remark is an odd one, what are you, 4? I am not old enough to be your grandpa. Did you want to sit on my knee?

Second, can you produce a qoute where I said "one can be an oppressor and not really deserve to be called as such". Direct challenge, show where I said or insinuated that. Obviously, any level of oppression or bigotry needs to be called such.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]What I DID say is that one religion can, in large numbers, show MORE bigotry than others. For instance: disapproving on someone being gay , is CERTAINLY different than HATING a gay person and wanting them to die. One is clearly worse than the other. It does not justify one or the other ,I’m only saying one is MORE bigoted. This is not hard to understand. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I found one of your remarks odd:[/SIZE]
Does Islam get a free pass? Nope, certainly NOT on those issues. If they were anywhere close to being in reasonable numbers, their attempts will certainly be taken more seriously. As it is, on these issues, it makes little sense to be penny wise and pound foolish.
So, let me get this straight. You admit they are guilty as charged, but, you choose to not take them “more seriously”. But, I thought you are either an oppressor or you aren’t? Also, when WILL you take them more seriously? The women stoned to death in Iran are NOT worth your attention? The HONOR KILLINGS OF YOUNG GIRLS here IN AMERICA are not enough to be taken “more seriously”? So…do tell…when WILL you actually act?

I think you are a coward, and don’t want to be non-PC. I think it’s taking you a long time to work though your own PC-driven Christianity hatred to see the forest for the trees.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:37 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtruth View Post
So, following your logic, and to call you on it... as there are an ever increasing number of Muslims in this country, that you will be HEAVILY CRITICIZING THEM, as they are often MORE HOMOPHOBIC, MISOGNYSTIC, etc, than Christians?
Can't speak for anyone else, but if they start to try to gain influence in matters like science education or insist on preferential treatment for their religious symbols in the public sphere - like Christians do today - absolutely, I'll be there. I have certainly attempted debate with Muslims in science matters, but they're generally speaking even worse than fundamentalist Christians in that respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies