Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2010, 08:30 PM

11,305 posts, read 18,899,294 times

Advertisements

Networks take different paths in covering Glenn Beck 'Restoring Honor' rally

The truth is this:

1) (I know I said this in another post, but): Much like those who want to build that mosque near Ground Zero, Beck has a right to hold this rally; but in both cases the location (and in the Beck rally's case the date combined with the location) is very insensitive and mean-spirited. This is the cold, hard truth regardless of how you feel about either subject on the surface. Even Al Sharpton (who I despise as much as Beck, both BS "propoganda artists" with different agendas) has said this (granting Beck's right but not its spirit). Regarding the GZ mosque, I saw a You Tube video where a supporter of the mosque is cursing out an 82-year old Holocaust survivor and was completely disgusted, that goes beyond "disagreement".

2) We have deep, troubling problems facing this country and what is destroying it further is not in and of itself Obama, nor Pelosi, nor Boehner, nor Reid, nor Beck, nor Palin, nor Maddow, etc. but that fact that this extremely fractured country is engaging in a "Cold Civil War" being fueled by all these polarizing figures in the media and our government. I know we all see the world a little differently from each other, but we're destroying ourselves with a mutual hate and division I've never seen in my lifetime. I thought we were in trouble right after the 2000 election (and was wrong about that), but I never dreamed it would get like this. If we behaved like this during World War II (or put a different way, if the conditions leading to WW-II were occuring right now), we'd probably end up being the Nazi States of America and many of us wouldn't even be here, let's thank those still alive who were adults back then for pulling together and setting extreme ideologies aside for the UNITED States of America and not acting like grade school kids in a schoolyard in our nation's dire time of need. Maybe "1984" simply was a quarter-century before its time and here we are.......

We need to get over all this BS and save our country from itself. I know, I'm going to get a lot of crap from both sides here; it's why I rarely bother with the Politics sub-form, but this article really hit a nerve with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 02:24 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,876,413 times
It's all about ratings which equates $$$. Straightforward, objective, unbiased comprehensive news reporting is rare because people don't want the truth; they just want to be assured that their political beliefs are right. By the way, this is why the Founding Fathers set up our republic the way they did. They knew that "the people" are raving lunatics.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:32 AM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Beck is having a rally?

Old 08-28-2010, 03:27 AM

948 posts, read 1,386,665 times
OP here's a couple links that you may like. Hope they help

AP web link that you can watch news reports on with out any spin. You can also select what stories you want to watch
Associated Press Online Video Network

The next is the AP'enps continual audio feed, It's kinda like the NOAA weather radio channels. How ever it's purchased. I get the same feed but through a different source free from my old employer. AP Broadcast

This is Reuters online version again just news no commentary and you chose what stories to watch
Reuters Video: Top News

Old 08-28-2010, 05:35 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
I agree with you OP,
they are always using the old saying "Divide and conquer".
The media spreads fear and hate, to get us to fight like little kids over a piece of gum while they steal our car (or take our factories to China)

I've noticed a biased from NPR, AP and Reuters news. They always report only on negative things.

The closest thing that I've found to unbiased news.... is the Thom Hartmann show on XM/Sirius liberal radio and also on some channel on DirecTV and DishTV.
Thom Hartmann webpage

Thom Hartmann is liberal, but he's the only person in the United States that interviews the people on the other side of the political spectrum when he's talking about a political issue.
He has interviewed Tea Party leaders, Minutemen leaders, etc, etc.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:07 AM

11,305 posts, read 18,899,294 times
Is Voice of America pretty unbiased?

Old 08-28-2010, 07:23 AM

323 posts, read 503,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Is Voice of America pretty unbiased?
It's the official broadcasting service of the federal government. Most consider it a propaganda tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The closest thing that I've found to unbiased news.... is the Thom Hartmann show.
Thom Hartman himself is certainly strongly biased towards the left. Based on what I have heard from him, he's very much like Ralph Nader, obsessing about business and "corporate personhood." I bought Hartman's book on Thomas Jefferson a few years ago, before I knew who he (Hartman) was, and couldn't finish the book due to the perversion of my greatest hero. I think it's great that Hartman debates people from the other side of the spectrum, but he's hardly the only one who does this.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:32 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,743,026 times
Unfortunately, the OP is correct. We are in a 'cold civil war' in this country.
Just look at some of the 'hate' ads from both side of the political parties that run for office.

These ads & the media reporting have gotten so much worse than they ever were before.
People attack one another simply for the sake of their particular party & not on the 'real' issues any more.
It's very sad, especially because when it comes right down to it, we all want our country to be successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies