Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 06:21 PM

767 posts, read 489,477 times

Advertisements

Are these guys freakin kidding. Why are they even asking them. Maybe they should have said pretty please. No wonder Chicago politics is a joke.

Cops to gangs: Stop the killing -- or else :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Chicago Crime (http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/2648058,CST-NWS-gangs29.article - broken link)

Last edited by Sid2001; 08-28-2010 at 06:38 PM..

Old 08-28-2010, 06:27 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Did you read the article?
Quote:
“We are focusing on group responsibility,” Weis said. “If one of these guys should kill another gang member, we are going to come down on them with all the firepower we have.”
Authorities will explore bringing conspiracy cases against gangs that don’t heed the warning, Weis said. “I said: 'the word you need to remember is RICO,’ ” he said, referring to the federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act. “Go talk to the mafia, they know that word very well.”
Officials will move to seize houses and cars of gang members charged under RICO, Weis said. They’ll also ramp up parole visits to make their lives miserable.
I'm not sure what you think you are mocking...

Old 08-28-2010, 06:30 PM

767 posts, read 489,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Did you read the article?

I'm not sure what you think you are mocking...
I'm mocking the fact that they are asking them. To think that a violent gangbanger is going to stop being violent just because they are threatened by the cops is a joke. These guys are accustomed to getting shot at on a regular basis, I doubt threat of jail time is going to work.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:31 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
Are these guys freakin kidding. Maybe they should have said pretty please. No wonder Chicago politics is a joke.

Cops to gangs: Stop the killing -- or else :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Chicago Crime (http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/2648058,CST-NWS-gangs29.article - broken link)
Honestly this is nothing more then another publicity stunt. They police are not trying to do anything to stop the violence in the heavy gang neighborhoods. They know they are not, the people that live in these neighborhoods no the police are doing nothing.

If Weiss actually wanted to do something, he would improve police response times to acts of violence, he would make sure his officers stopped the violent acts when they were occurring instead of waiting until it is over to step in.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:47 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Quote:
Are these guys freakin kidding. Why are they even asking them. Maybe they should have said pretty please. No wonder Chicago politics is a joke.

I think it makes perfect sense to ask. That's like the final warning before the storm. Since the gangs don't have enough self control to stop themselves, Weis put out a warning if they don't get the message........sorry for them.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:48 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
I'm mocking the fact that they are asking them. To think that a violent gangbanger is going to stop being violent just because they are threatened by the cops is a joke. These guys are accustomed to getting shot at on a regular basis, I doubt threat of jail time is going to work.
They aren't "asking" they are telling them about the new tactics they are going to employ...and trying to get the word out.

Honestly, if you are a Chicago cop and think this is a stupid idea that's one thing, otherwise you, me, etc. really have no clue. I say they can do whatever it takes...and I'm not going to mock them for trying everything and exploring all avenues.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Honestly this is nothing more then another publicity stunt. They police are not trying to do anything to stop the violence in the heavy gang neighborhoods. They know they are not, the people that live in these neighborhoods no the police are doing nothing.

If Weiss actually wanted to do something, he would improve police response times to acts of violence, he would make sure his officers stopped the violent acts when they were occurring instead of waiting until it is over to step in.
How can they improve if the don't have enough police to start with?

The first thing people want to do it say "the police aren't doing anything".

The police RESPOND to crime they don't PROACT to it. If they could proact there would be no crime because they'd eliminate it before it occurred.

When people call the police it's AFTER something has happened not before.

It really does take community involvement to resolve this issue. But I understand why people don't want to get involved.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
They aren't "asking" they are telling them about the new tactics they are going to employ...and trying to get the word out.

Honestly, if you are a Chicago cop and think this is a stupid idea that's one thing, otherwise you, me, etc. really have no clue. I say they can do whatever it takes...and I'm not going to mock them for trying everything and exploring all avenues.
I agree 100%...........After I worked in the homeless shelter and had to deal with all of those "rough necks", I found a new respect for cops. I dealt with some real live characters to say the least.

It's always easy to say what the cops should do, it's very easy when we're not the one putting our lives on the line every day like cops do. Being a "keyboard jockey" is much easier than being in the line of fire.

Whatever it takes for Chicago cops to clean up the mess, go for it.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:02 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
i say more power to the cops if they are serious, and i hope they are. perhaps it will provide a spark across the country for other police forces to do the same thing.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:11 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
How can they improve if the don't have enough police to start with?

The first thing people want to do it say "the police aren't doing anything".

The police RESPOND to crime they don't PROACT to it. If they could proact there would be no crime because they'd eliminate it before it occurred.

When people call the police it's AFTER something has happened not before.

It really does take community involvement to resolve this issue. But I understand why people don't want to get involved.
How can they improve, again, they can again, respond faster. 45minutes to an hour responding when people in the community call in a shooting is ridiculous. In the northern neighborhoods they don't take that long, yet they seem to in the neighborhoods where the major violent crime is happening.

They can improve by attempting to stop murders when they are watching them happen. Just like when young Derion Albert was murdered last year on 111th. two police cars watched it happen, and waited until the whole fight was over before they got out of their cars.

The community can not resolve the issue by itself, it takes the help of the police, but in many of these neighborhoods the police don't want to do anything to help stop the crime. They don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies