Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 07:48 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,844,930 times

Advertisements

Actually, no, I'm not sick of hearing about it. I am always interested in how a city progresses, through the years, after a horrendous calamity.

And I was especially glad to hear this report on their educational progress:

Before Katrina:

The school system in New Orleans was like a dysfunctional marching band: It had structure and central direction, but academic failure and corruption dragged it down. 64 percent of New Orleans schools were deemed academically unacceptable by the state.

After Katrina:

For one, “schools are being held accountable for results” in a new way, she says, because parents now can choose any school in the district. The number of seniors who made it to graduation rose from 50 percent in 2007 to about 90 percent in 2010.

After Katrina, how charter schools helped recast New Orleans education - CSMonitor.com

That is good progress!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 08:12 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
When the news reported on thugs shooting at rescue helicopters so that they could not land and deliver necessary items, or on the thugs who stole electrical cables from the medical tents so that the medical staff could not do their jobs, or on all the looting and destruction, the rapes and attempted rapes in the Super Dome, as well as the attempted murders and robberies -- I finally had not one iota of sympathy for the citizens of that city. It is a cesspool of crime, completely disgusting. That there could be such an incredibly large percentage of thugs scurrying around loose taking advantage of the opportunity to commit crimes was simply mind boggling.

A short time after Hurricane Katrina, there was a tornado in the midwest that was very destructive and the citizens there all banded together and helped each other and there were no major crimes and they did not obstruct government officials from coming in to help.

I'm sick to death of hearing about Katrina. I just feel sorry for all the other cities in other states who took these people in and are now stuck with them and the crime they brought with them.
Which midwestern city was this?

Old 08-30-2010, 08:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Just like there is no reason to remember 9/11, Pearl Harbor, D-Day, April 19th, 1861, or anything like that huh?

We remember, so it doesn't happen again.
How can you even put country attacks, the start of end of wars, etc in the same catagory as Katrina?

Pearl Harbor and 9/11 were acts of terrorism and certainly not the same as a natural disaster..Katrina was a horrible tragedy, so was th 1906 San Francisco earth quake or the 1971 earthquake and some of the floods our country has lived through. What about Andrew or 2002, I beleive it was string of hurricanes that hit Florida?

One can not compare any such event with the attack of our country or the end of a war and I can't believe anyone would think of such a thing!!!

Nita

Old 08-30-2010, 08:22 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
I posted the links below yesterday on a similar thread, but worth repeating...

A very important lesson to be learned from Katrina...specifically, the adverse affects that man's interference within the eco system of the gulf coast have made, which largely contributed to the disaster. Until people get this, it is worth reiterating.

New Orleans, Hurricane Katrina, and the Oil Industry
New Orleans, Hurricane Katrina, and the Oil Industry (EnvironmentalChemistry.com)

Almost 5000 km2 (1800 mi2) of coastal wetlands have been lost since the 1930s, and the situation has continued to deteriorate.

The cause of this dramatic land loss was a combination of natural and human forces. For millennia, the natural process of geologic subsidence was counterbalanced by riverine inputs into a deltaic plain characterized by natural hydrology. However, in the 19th and 20th centuries, there was a massive disruption of the hydrology of the delta. Riverine input was drastically reduced by the creation of levees, and the closure of distributaries and the internal hydrology of the delta were pervasively altered, mainly due to canal dredging for oil and gas exploration and extraction. As a result, the blanket of freshwater...

Rebuilding New Orleans: applying ecological economics and ecological engineering
Rebuilding New Orleans: applying ecological economics and ecological engineering - Encyclopedia of Earth

So, aside from the sociological and political lessons to be learned from Hurricane Katrina, there are ecological responsibility lessons to be learned as well.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:57 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The majority of the people were not robbing, raping or even looting. They were just trying to SURVIVE. Let’s see you get into a situation where you have no food, water, electricity, sanitary supplies, or change of clothing for several days and a there is a building full of those thing and you are STARVING.

And just maybe if the response by the government had been quicker these people would have no need to rob and loot. The raping was deplorable and there was not excuse for it for any reason.

The fact you felt the city wasn't worth saving is a testament to your lack of compassion and your lack of appreciation of American history which New Orleans is very much a part of.
Looting for necessities, of course. But that is not what was shown on national television for all of us to witness -- groups of black boys and men carrying off television sets and stereos and computers. They needed those things to survive?

Old 08-30-2010, 08:58 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Which midwestern city was this?
I don't remember but it was on the news and the commentator was making a comparison between the entirely different way in which the community responded to the disaster, as compared to what happened in New Orleans.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:06 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
About 54 weeks away from the 10th anniversary of 9/11. I don't know how the media will handle that. When the 10th anniversary of Columbine came around, the media coverage, even here in CO, was pretty subdued. Someone from out of state started a thread about it on the Denver forum, and I posted that I wasn't ready to talk about it. The thread didn't last long. An imperfect comparison, yes, but it's all I've got.
The National 911 Memorial will open on that date, so there is no doubt there will be media coverage, although I am sure it will extend much farther than covering the memorial.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:06 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,422,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
When the news reported on thugs shooting at rescue helicopters so that they could not land and deliver necessary items, or on the thugs who stole electrical cables from the medical tents so that the medical staff could not do their jobs, or on all the looting and destruction, the rapes and attempted rapes in the Super Dome, as well as the attempted murders and robberies -- I finally had not one iota of sympathy for the citizens of that city.
Sorry to disappoint you, but many of these stories are NOT true:

Quote:
But the basic premise of the article that introduced the New Orleans helicopter sniper to a global audience was dead wrong, just like so many other widely disseminated Katrina nightmares. No 7-year-old rape victim with a slit throat was ever found, even though the atrocity was reported in scores of newspapers. The Convention Center freezer was not stacked with 30 or 40 dead bodies, nor was the Superdome a live-in morgue. (An estimated 10 people died inside the two buildings combined, and only one was slain, according to the best data from National Guard officials at press time.)

Tales of rapes, carjackings, and gang violence by Katrina refugees quickly circulated in such evacuee centers as Baton Rouge, Houston, and Leesville, Louisiana--and were almost as quickly debunked.
They shoot helicopters, don't they? How journalists spread rumors during Katrina. - Free Online Library

Old 08-30-2010, 09:08 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
How can you even put country attacks, the start of end of wars, etc in the same catagory as Katrina?

Pearl Harbor and 9/11 were acts of terrorism and certainly not the same as a natural disaster..Katrina was a horrible tragedy, so was th 1906 San Francisco earth quake or the 1971 earthquake and some of the floods our country has lived through. What about Andrew or 2002, I beleive it was string of hurricanes that hit Florida?

One can not compare any such event with the attack of our country or the end of a war and I can't believe anyone would think of such a thing!!!

Nita
9/11 was an act of terrorism, Pearl Harbor was an act of war.

Katrina needs to be remembered for the aftermath, not the storm itself. The fact that tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of Americans, in a major American city sat for 3 days in filth, with no food or water, while helicopters sat outside the city with pallets of water and food, is what should be remembered.

Katrina isn't so much the storm, its the follow up and lack of response.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:08 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Wait until April 15, 2012, when the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic comes around...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies