Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 04:34 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles, California (CNN) -- California's Senate has voted down a measure that would have banned plastic bags at grocery stores.

The new ban was rejected by a 21 to 14 vote late Tuesday. The ban would have included grocery stores, convenience stores and drugstores.

The California Assembly passed the legislation in June.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger had said he would have signed the measure into law, the Los Angeles Times reported.
--------------------------
The American Chemistry Council criticized California Assemblywoman Julia Brownley, D-Santa Monica, who proposed the bill.

"Assemblywoman Brownley's inflammatory comments are obviously intended to distract public attention from the substance and dire consequences of Assembly Bill 1998," the group said. "Her proposed legislation to ban plastic grocery bags in California ... is bad for the economy and bad for the environment: It will eliminate several hundred California manufacturing jobs and dismantle existing plastic bag recycling programs."

California bill to ban plastic bags fails - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 04:58 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
In view of the masses of plastic bags out there, many of which are not recycled and end up in our rivers and oceans instead, I support such a ban.
People will still need to put their stuff in some sort of bag, so those employees could produce paper or, even better, washable cotton bags in the future

Old 09-01-2010, 05:37 AM

17,373 posts, read 14,622,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
In view of the masses of plastic bags out there, many of which are not recycled and end up in our rivers and oceans instead, I support such a ban.
People will still need to put their stuff in some sort of bag, so those employees could produce paper or, even better, washable cotton bags in the future
There's a plant that recycles plastic & turns it into a product that's used to make plastic bags. So, uh, no. That's like saying to a company that makes shoes "hey, we're outlawing shoes, so just start making coffee pots instead".

And ... you do realize that the bill required that you buy the paper bags from each store and the stores would be fined if they gave you a plastic bag for free. Um, yeah ... so there are some people in this country that are teetering on the edge - making shopping MORE expensive is the right thing to do right?

WTF is wrong will California? Don't the policymakers have better things, oh, more important things to focus on THAN OUTLAWING PLASTIC BAGS?

Seriously. Crack off already and drift towards China. I promise we'll give every citizen warning but leave every crackpot government official behind.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:46 AM

Well, those plastic bags are not hand-made anyway. People involved in their making operate machines or do rather simple stuff like refilling plastic components. Those are not highly-skilled people doomed to work in plastic bag manufacturing for the rest of their lives

Old 09-01-2010, 05:51 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,744 times
How about if you don't want to use a plastic bag then don't use them, but stop forcing your "I know what is right for you and the planet" hippie ideas on everyone else. You can take my plastic bags, WHICH I recycle for other things, when you pry them out of my cold dead hands

Old 09-01-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Well, those plastic bags are not hand-made anyway. People involved in their making operate machines or do rather simple stuff like refilling plastic components. Those are not highly-skilled people doomed to work in plastic bag manufacturing for the rest of their lives
You do realize that there are people that work for those facilities that aren't blue collar don't you? Like HR, sales, administrative? And when a business closes, there tends to be a domino effect ... other businesses depend on other businesses. From the gas station next door to the parts supplier to the copier repairman. In what world are you living in right now where any kind of job is expendable?

California is in enough trouble as it is ... and here is a bill that's a job killer? Lunatics.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:07 AM

I see this more like with the catalytic converter, which was also forced upon people, but which nevertheless is a success.

Here they still give you plastic bags, but usually you have to ask for them and they cost 5 or 10 Euro cents each. Unlike in the States paper bags have never been in use here, don't know why.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
You do realize that there are people that work for those facilities that aren't blue collar don't you? Like HR, sales, administrative? And when a business closes, there tends to be a domino effect ... other businesses depend on other businesses. From the gas station next door to the parts supplier to the copier repairman. In what world are you living in right now where any kind of job is expendable?

California is in enough trouble as it is ... and here is a bill that's a job killer? Lunatics.
Those people would still be needed. Only the product would change.
Also, it depends on what kind of plastic bag we are talking about. I have one that lasts for months. I take it with me whenever I go shopping. It is not like one of those thin ones that break as soon as you get home or even before

Old 09-01-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Those people would still be needed. Only the product would change.
Also, it depends on what kind of plastic bag we are talking about. I have one that lasts for months. I take it with me whenever I go shopping. It is not like one of those thin ones that break as soon as you get home or even before
This is such a HUGE problem with liberal/progressives.

Pie in the sky dreams without a thought, concern or a realistic idea of how businesses and real life works.

You should do this because it's softer, fluffier, lovelier, better, doesn't hurt puppies or babies, makes you hug a tree just a little bit harder ... there are real world and real people complications to EVERYTHING. Don't you see that? Don't you see that you just can't snap your fingers and change the production of a plant from bullcrap to butterfiles? It costs MONEY to do so ... money to make the changes ... and people will pay MORE money out of pocket because everything is always passed along to the consumer.

And if the plant doesn't have enough capital to make those changes those people lose their jobs. But in your world they just I Dream Of Jeannie it and blink and voila! a sparkling new job.

And one of the biggest issues to me - why the hell is the government in the business of telling people what kind of bags someone should carry their Cheerios in? There are bigger fish to fry you complete and utter nimrods.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:45 AM

45,210 posts, read 26,424,445 times
A. People may recycle the bags if they choose to.

B. Many stores now offer reusable bags to their customers.

When people are educated as to the threat they pose, societal norms (not more laws) will eliminate or restrict their usage.

We hold the power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies