Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 01:44 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times

Advertisements

Overcrowding won't be an issue when they start doing 70% of their courses online. The entire "go to campus" and listen to the old burnt out buffoon professor ramble about the good ole' days or some obfuscated BS is not only antiquated but it is corrupt. Students are not paying thousands for that. They want to learn the subject. They want the technical training that should be offered in on-campus laboratories taught by professionals who have experience in the field. Online is the way to go for most other degree plans except for medicine, flight school, fine art, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs1987 View Post

When state universities and community colleges become overcrowded, they will be forced to become more selective and then the balance between college and non-college will start to be restored. Some costs will retreat as schools try to attract more students. Colleges like flight schools will need to sell property and assets to account for the loss of business. College campuses cannot continue to expand like they have been recently. It is a bubble that will burst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 01:46 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
It does? Are you a university shill because where is the proof that everything you say is most likely to occur?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Looked at college tuition cost lately? They have increased faster in the last 30 years faster than just about anything else and that doesn't include living expenses and books which are in many cases outrageously priced. I think until the early 90's you could have worked your way through school, not anymore.

Also a college degree is used by many employers as a "gatekeeper". In many cases if you don't have a college degree you are immediately disqualified from any job consideration. Thus the demand college degrees has increased. Not only that, it has become not only a matter or having a degree but where you get a degree. A degree from a top rated college in a particular field of study usually results in higher pay for an individual not matter what their skill level is for the actual job.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:01 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,031,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I'll probably have $25k in loans by the time I finish but I hope my Business Management major pays off. $90k of loans for a doctor is one thing, $50k for an english or sociology major is quite another.

Sweetie, you and I have the same major....You'll be paying off those loans for a LOOOONNGGG time. The prospects for our degrees are as slim as the others.

Glad mine is a 2 year, and I will graduate debt free. ^,^

Old 09-05-2010, 06:56 AM

15 posts, read 7,816 times
Hey guys, I can see from your posts that most people don't seem to understand the student loan scam.

Here is a graphic that explains it correctly

Tuition expenses are high BECAUSE THE UNIVERSITIES want us to default so they can add another 50% profit charging collection fees

http://cache.abovethelaw.com/uploads/2010/09/student-loan-scheme-540x3212.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-05-2010, 07:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
At least in CA it's entirely possible to get a 4 year degree with little or no debt.
Here in Colorado as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
From UCLA and Berkeley?
They are both state universities.

What ever happened to the concept of parents helping their students with tuition? Many on this forum talk as if the student is expected to pony up all the money him/herself. That is not the usual case. Most parents want to help their kids get a start in adult life.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Overcrowding won't be an issue when they start doing 70% of their courses online. The entire "go to campus" and listen to the old burnt out buffoon professor ramble about the good ole' days or some obfuscated BS is not only antiquated but it is corrupt. Students are not paying thousands for that. They want to learn the subject. They want the technical training that should be offered in on-campus laboratories taught by professionals who have experience in the field. Online is the way to go for most other degree plans except for medicine, flight school, fine art, etc.
Yes - on-line degrees actually the employers who have degrees as a job qualification. Many courses can be taken on-line, the first two years of most degree plans - what they call "core classes" could be taken on-line at a community college.

On-line works better because those who already know most of the material can breeze through it and get to the point they should be and with the time they save, they can work more hours.

Going to college full time is only 15-18 hours a week which leaves plenty of time to work a full time job but if you can get through an on-line course quickly, you can cut the classroom time in half.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:57 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, and greedy elitist liberals run the universities which have become hotbeds for liberal propaganda. They rake in the money and don't care how badly they destroy lives. Even though universities have become glorified trade schools, degree mills they are worse than the other greedy corporations because people who might blink at borrowing $50,000 or $100,000 for a new television or car, they won't think twice when it comes to a degree that they believe will bring them high wages and guaranteed jobs.
Like dude, I spent $120,000 for my B.A., I'm an expert on the fall of the Byzantine Empire. Why won't anyone give me a $150K/yr job?
\

I have a friend who's a fireman (24 hours on followed by 3 days off) who has a side business as a plumber.

It isn't pretty, it smells something horrible, but he earns in excess of $100k, much of it cash so you know where that goes, on his side job after the fire department pays for the overhead of health insurance, pension etc. He told me there is no end of work, he bills out at $65.00/hr and all of his days off (including Sunday's) are booked til Christmas.

But who wants to be a fireman working part time in the poo-poo, earning a combined total of $160,000.00, when a BA degree in social studies might land that dream job working at the welfare office for $28,000.00?

With truck, trailer, power machines, roto-rooter and tools he may have $40,000.00 invested in his business and that's with all new stuff including the truck.

If someone wanted to start with a good used truck and used equipment you could probably get out on the road for $12,000.00 to $18,000.00.

What can be learned from this is people will pay anything, any dollar amount, to get rid of their poo-poo when it's bubbling up in the front yard. Even if they don't have the money to spend they'll come up with it somewhere.

Best place to get the training? No, it isn't attending community college it's as simple as going to work as a helper, even if it's minimum wage, as long as you have a road map to where you want to go.

But, for the most part, most "helpers" are dumber than a box of rocks incapable of seeing the opportunity staring them right in the face. Most 19 year old kids with half smarts, do you think they want to be in some front yard where friends can see them shoveling poo-poo? Not hardly.

But as you get older if you can earn $100k or more while owning your own business you tend not to care what your friends think especially if they are not earning half of what you do.

In my opinion much of what is offered in colleges is pure BS. In the course of my job I often find myself at several state universities and a walk down the corridors of any sociology, psychology or journalism hall would be enough to convince anyone this country has little in the way of a future.

It's Animal Farm come alive where the murderous 'Che' Guevara is held in high esteem on a pedestal while the founding fathers of this country are ridiculed and mocked.

My experience has been the schools of journalism is where you find the worst garbage of this sort. A walk through some halls is enough to convince the observer they've gone back in time to 1952 Moscow.

So much wasted money.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:25 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Like dude, I spent $120,000 for my B.A., I'm an expert on the fall of the Byzantine Empire. Why won't anyone give me a $150K/yr job?
\

I have a friend who's a fireman (24 hours on followed by 3 days off) who has a side business as a plumber.
A college degree has become a status symbol. Parents love to brag that their child is in college - because the liberal universities have managed to convince us that having a college degree makes you better than someone who doesn't have it.

You're right - it isn't even the better income that makes you better than someone earning less because people now believe the $20k a year college graduate is better, superior to the $60k a year blue collar worker.

There is nothing wrong with education for education's sake - but like anything, you have to be smart about it. Going deeply into debt, a debt that will follow you the rest of your days is not smart.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:31 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer24 View Post
Glad I went to a vocational school and learned a real trade.

YouTube - Drowning in Debt: US students helpless to pay off education

then why not ask those college professors to take a pay cut so students can more afford tuition.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:53 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
then why not ask those college professors to take a pay cut so students can more afford tuition.
Because they don't have to.

Government involvement always comes with a high price tag.

Medical cost for example. In the 50's and 60's doctors were well off but the millionaire doctors didn't exist until someone else came along to pay the bill. Prices always inflate when someone else is paying the bill.

Home prices. Home prices didn't escalate wildly out of control until government got into the act with Fannie and Freddie. Again, this is someone else underwriting and guaranteeing the loan.

When I attempted to go to college, I did mange one year at San Jose State, it was free except for books and a small student fee. Student loans didn't exist, PhD's in black and womyn studies didn't either, but along comes government and costs go to the stratosphere.

Completely stop the student loan garbage and schools will be forced to bring down prices, which might mean no more Lobster and Crimean Caviar for faculty at the chancellors house every Sunday, but they will adapt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies