Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 09:26 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
You realize your liberal logic of "don't poke the bear" will only encourage other groups to become violent because they see you as capitulating to groups that are violent, whereas you don't to groups that are non violent. YOu will only encourage more terrorism from different groups because then you ask people to be understanding or don't provoke groups who respond violently when they have grievances.

Do you really want this to happen?

Imagine if abortion clinics got bombed on a daily basis instead of once every 15 years? You'd then might even say "we need to understand why the bombers are doing it"....
I understand the goal that people who attack abortion clinics have.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell us what the goal is of Q'uran burning?

What do they hope to achieve? What message are they trying to send?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 09:29 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,240,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I understand the goal that people who attack abortion clinics have.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell us what the goal is of Q'uran burning?

What do they hope to achieve? What message are they trying to send?
What is being sent when muslims shout death the american and death to israel and death to the jews on a daily basis? Why does the ONE TIME THING, THAT HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE, garner SO MUCH OF YOUR ATTENTION?

Old 09-08-2010, 09:29 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Actually, no leftist has made such an argument. And it boggles the mind that anyone could extrapolate such a silly argument from the remarks here.

As I stated before, the terrorists aren't just waging a war with a body count. They are waging a war to win the hearts and minds of people. They are telling the story that Americans are liars. That we lie when we talk about our principles. That we lie about being a tolerant and diverse nation. And when you argue the same thing, you are helping the terrorists along. By arguing over and over that we should not be tolerant, you are supporting the terrorists' version of Americans. By making all Muslims your enemy, you are supporting the terrorists' version of Americans. By advocating book-burning and other violence, you are supporting the terrorists' version of Americans. And your support, along with the other misguided Islamaphobes, makes it so much easier for the terrorists to convince people who otherwise wouldn't believe it that we are indeed liars. Easier to convince those people, and to get those people to donate money to the terrorist cause, or to lend support to the terrorist cause, or even to outright become terrorists themselves.
The very fact so many people just don't "Get It" when it comes to the points you so capably explained manifest an intellectual deficit we have in this country that in the long term is far more harmful than any fiscal deficit.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:30 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,555,020 times
Anyone who thinks it’s a good idea to burn the QUARAN is extremely uneducated and it scares me that people like that call themselves good Americans. Burning nothing more than pieces of paper won’t solve a thing besides creating additional turmoil.

It IS a part of freedom to be able to do so, yes, BUT…I would hope Americans would be smarter in general to realize that this is an unacceptable response. The people who burn our flag and Bibles for that matter are uncivilized, mentally undeveloped individuals–why stoop to their level? It’s straight up high school to behave in this manner.

Understand the bigger picture and put all this energy into peace versus contributing to further destruction and turmoil.

On a side note, I'm about ready to go to Canada permanently where they don't have these kinds of ridiculous petty issues.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 09-08-2010 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: removed personal attack

Old 09-08-2010, 09:35 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
It's not naive. The perception the rest of the world has of the United States is incredibly important to our future. A negative perception makes it more difficult to achieve our diplomatic goals, our economic goals. It makes it more difficult to establish alliances. It makes it more difficult to market American goods around the world.

The war on the ground is difficult enough. How do you fight people without a country? If there are no decisive battles, but only a series of skirmishes, how do you force your enemy to surrender? And if you make once-neutral people your enemies by your efforts, then their army constantly grows, while your own numbers are diminished.

The fight for moral ground is as important as the fight on actual ground. And if you throw away your own morality, your principles, then you lose that moral ground by default.
Keep in mind that people that oppose you views in many cases believe in the concept of "American Exceptionalism" in an era where America is less economically, intellectually and philosophically exceptional.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
Anyone who thinks it’s a good idea to burn the QUARAN is extremely uneducated and it scares me that people like that call themselves good Americans. Burning nothing more than pieces of paper won’t solve a thing besides creating additional turmoil.

It IS a part of freedom to be able to do so, yes, BUT…I would hope Americans would be smarter in general to realize that this is an unacceptable response. The people who burn our flag and Bibles for that matter are uncivilized, mentally undeveloped individuals–why stoop to their level? It’s straight up high school to behave in this manner.

Don’t be such a backwoods idiot, understand the bigger picture and put all this energy into peace versus contributing to further destruction and turmoil.

On a side note, I'm about ready to go to Canada permanently where they don't have these kinds of ridiculous petty issues.

LOL, you realize in Canada, the schools have crosses on them and they have "God" in their national anthem?

Old 09-08-2010, 09:39 AM

720 posts, read 691,383 times
So, lemme get this straight. It is okay for Mohammad Achoo blachoo to threaten to kills Americans for exercising their freedom of expression BUT it is not okay for Americans to exercise their freedom of expression for fear of upsetting moohammad achoo...

Old 09-08-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothermanger View Post
So, lemme get this straight. It is okay for Mohammad Achoo blachoo to threaten to kills Americans for exercising their freedom of expression BUT it is not okay for Americans to exercise their freedom of expression for fear of upsetting moohammad achoo...
Also, Danes can't draw cartoons of mohammed. Apparently drawing cartoons means you're asking ot be killed, and muslims cannot be held responsible for their reactions to cartoons.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothermanger View Post
Patraeus is expressing his OPINION. His opinion is as valid as this Florida pastor's. In fact, on the subject, his is more valid b/c he is in the Middle East.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:44 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Also, Danes can't draw cartoons of mohammed. Apparently drawing cartoons means you're asking ot be killed, and muslims cannot be held responsible for their reactions to cartoons.
You know, I understand the Muhammad drawing thing, I join in on international draw Muhammad every year myself. I think its silly to cry over someone drawing your prophet.

However, book burning, no matter what the circumstance is just wrong, IMO. They have every constitutional right to do so, and if they continue, no one should stop them. But Our commanding General has asked them to stop, because it could put our troops in danger. I would think that would appeal to anyone with military background or family.

Nazi's burned books, its that simple. Lets leave that kind of crap to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies