Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 09:58 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times

Advertisements

Liberals could care less who the ad is pointed towards. it is an opinion and is viewed as free speech. Only the ignorant would think this was geared only towards Christianity. seems to hit all the religions to me.

I defend your right to say these things about religion, even if I don't agree with them. I believe in the strength of the Constitution to be able to withstand critical comments as long as it is fairly levied on all. I no more support the Muslims right as I do that of the Jew, Christian, morman or even those nut jobs the Scientologists. For me you all have equal rights. ... Not just the rights I agree with or use personally. See, there is your difference The right only wants their way supported and are fearful of anyone not supporting their way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 10:03 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
If the ad were AIMED AT MUSLIMS, liberals would be throwing a fit.
So you say. Have you any proof?

Old 09-08-2010, 10:08 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
As an Atheist and a Liberal I have absolutely no problem with "There is probably no God, Allah, Jeovah,Brahma, Thor, little fairies at the bottom of the garden, leprechauns... etc... etc... ".

As far as I am concerned ALL religions are equal and all as non-sensical and bizarre as the next.

What on earth is this obsession with liberals/atheists anyway? Take some pills and chill. Really the vast majority of atheists do not give a fig about religion . As long as it does not intrude in my life I respect people's rights to worship whomever they please. If it doesn't hurt anybody else know yourself out by all means.

I see it all as superstitious non-sense but I really could not care less whether someone believes in God or not. Their prerogative. Don't shove it down my throat and I won't even bother mentioning atheism.

What Atheists object to is proletyzing and being preached at. As long as there are posters for religion ( whatever religion) then nobody should have a problem with posters about atheism or agnosticism. Seems fair doesn't it.

The way liberals are demonised would be quite hilarious if it wasn't so darn scary in a very childish sort of a way.

I have driven all around America with huge billboards everywhere ( including some stores which is utterly bizarre) proclaiming the "truth" of Jesus. I don't go around having a hissy fit about it. I find it quite funny if anything.

I believe in separation of State and Church but as long as the truth is not being proclaimed from civic buildings I really do not give a baboon's butt about it.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:08 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Billboards shun religion, promote separation of church and state *| ajc.com

They basically say "there is probably no God"

Liberals applaud this.

Now imagine they said "there is probably no Allah" which is the same exact thing, liberals would throw fits, and muslims would threaten violence.

Explain the double standard.

Thanks.
The billboards will

Quote:
The billboards, which will run for a month, include such messages as "Imagine No Religion", "Sleep In On Sundays" and even a quote from the late Thelma "Butterfly" McQueen, who played the maid Prissy in "Gone with the Wind." McQueen, a longtime member of the foundation and an atheist, is quoted as saying " "As my ancestors are free from slavery, I am free from the slavery of religion."
Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, Islam IS a religion. The billboards apply to Christianity and Islam equally.

The "double standard" you present in your post is bogus.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:13 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
I don't know what you are going on about. I oppose all fundies, no matter what religion they crawl out of.

However, there is freedom of religion in this country...that means Muslims have every bit as much right to practice their faith as all you self righteous holier than thou Christians..
Do they have MORE freedom to practice? Or just the same? In my experience, it seems that the politically correct thing is to treat them with kid gloves in the interest of "not offending" them.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:15 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
Quote:
What about the double standard of getting upset over an anti-religious billboard but not over an anti-abortion billboard? Any yahoo with a few thousand dollars can put up a billboard. It's about money, not truth.

Do we need billboards anyway? Aren't we subjected to enough advertising. I grew up in Hawaii where all billboards are banned as blots on the landscape. I think it's a good policy.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:15 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Do they have MORE freedom to practice? Or just the same? In my experience, it seems that the politically correct thing is to treat them with kid gloves in the interest of "not offending" them.
Some examples, please, of Muslims in the United States being treated with kid gloves.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:16 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,211 times
OP:
- every atheist is not a liberal - some are republicans. Most liberals are not atheists either - atheists are a small percent of the US polulation.
- everyone who watches FOX is not a evangelical nutjob
- people who are socially liberal can be Republicans
- etc

Old 09-08-2010, 10:19 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnK78 View Post
Because Judeo-Christian values that the country was based and built upon as was the constitution is wrong in the libs eyes. They condemn and want to change what this great country was founded on. They believe that by dividing us by our religion, our economic status <the rich are> bad will help in they fundemental change of America. They realize that they are making the majority of people upset and they believe that political correctness is protecting them. I think the tides are turning but that is just me. I can't wait to read what others think about this. Great question. (I support the freedom of all religions, as long as the religion doesn't say to kill someone else in the name of God!) I have a problem with crossing the "thou shall not kill" line.
No one group in this country has done more to divide this country by class, religion and race than the Conservative Movement. They sold this country "Trickle Down Economics". In 1980 the top 1% of income earners made 9% of the income in this country. Now that same top 1% makes 26%, while middle class incomes have stagnated.

It's religious fundamentalist that have the attitude "The Christian way is the only way for America".

The Conservative Movement devised the Southern Strategy specifically to garner the conservative vote in this country by making race a wedge issue.

USATODAY.com - GOP: 'We were wrong' to play racial politics

Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-08-2010, 10:19 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Quote:
Billboards shun religion, promote separation of church and state *| ajc.com

They basically say "there is probably no God"

Liberals applaud this.

Now imagine they said "there is probably no Allah" which is the same exact thing, liberals would throw fits, and muslims would threaten violence.

Thanks.
They are a strange, hypocritical brand of loony aren't they? The anti-religious liberals freaked out when someone took out a billboard asking Muslims to renounce Islam. I thought they wanted everybody to lose their religion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies