Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 08:19 PM

37,151 posts, read 42,256,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Who says it's not hurting me? It's excess wear and tear on my joints. Heavies need more activity, not special treatment. We keep making things easy for them and they keep getting fatter.
Someome else's fat is wear and tear on YOUR joints?

If someone is unhealthy enough to need a handicapped card then nothing is easy for them. Your "tough love" isn't going to cut it if they can't get around in the first place. Feel sorry for them...then go about your own business because they probably won't have a long life.

I always wonder about people who zero in on someone who, even if through their own actions, is in an unfortunate situation and then yell "your fault! your fault!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 08:29 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,426,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Someome else's fat is wear and tear on YOUR joints?

If someone is unhealthy enough to need a handicapped card then nothing is easy for them. Your "tough love" isn't going to cut it if they can't get around in the first place. Feel sorry for them...then go about your own business because they probably won't have a long life.

I always wonder about people who zero in on someone who, even if through their own actions, is in an unfortunate situation and then yell "your fault! your fault!"
Yes, someones fat is taking up special, unavailable to the general public, parking spaces. That means I have to park further away, meaning more miles on my joints, see how that works?
People make desicions that they don't think affect other people. They party and do whatever they want, then they want everyone else to feel bad for them later. I say poo-poo on that. Personal responsibility is out the window, then comes the attitude of entitlement. I say too bad, you made your bed, nighty-night.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Yes, someones fat is taking up special, unavailable to the general public, parking spaces. That means I have to park further away, meaning more miles on my joints, see how that works?
People make desicions that they don't think affect other people. They party and do whatever they want, then they want everyone else to feel bad for them later. I say poo-poo on that. Personal responsibility is out the window, then comes the attitude of entitlement. I say too bad, you made your bed, nighty-night.
Sorry you are handicapped.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:32 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,426,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Sorry you are handicapped.
Care to elaborate?

Old 07-11-2011, 08:37 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,350,249 times
When I'm in the States, my family calls the handicapped parking places "the always empty spots."

Guess I live in a polite city.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Care to elaborate?
I thought you were complaining about not being able to find handicapped spots for yourself. Obviously not.

In response to your personal message to me: I think I've expressed myself pretty well and said all I want to on the subject. I wasn't throwing darts at you.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:56 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,324,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
When I'm in the States, my family calls the handicapped parking places "the always empty spots."

Guess I live in a polite city.
Not necessarily. The handicapped spaces get filled up quickly at certain times of the day. After working hours, not so much.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:56 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,686,374 times
If you ever want to see a handicap parking space battle go to a Golden Corral on a Sunday evening. You will see oldsters vs heavies damn near waging war over the spots. It's hysterical in a sad kind of trainwreck way. Or maybe I am just easily entertained.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:49 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,471,475 times
Quote:
You can chose to be obtuse, however is indicates a lot.
It's not. A totally blind person can squeeze out of a Miata and still benefit from being parked closer to the building for safety reasons. It's not always about just the ability to walk, sickofnyc. Handicapped parking is about space issues for people with wheelchairs and safety issues--drivers can't see someone in a wheelchair as clearly as they can a pedestrian who is standing, walking. But it's about shortening the time you are at risk for being hit by a car if you are disabled, especially if you are invisibly disabled and people don't know that you may not hear them/see them/be able to scoot out of the way fast enough. (Even a white cane can be totally invisible from behind because the blind person's body is blocking the driver's view of the cane.)

You'd be surprised how many sighted drivers nearly run into me before I yell and they realize they almost hit a blind person. There are blind spots in driving, people get distracted, many drivers are inattentive in general or hyper-focused on finding a parking spot and forgot about checking all their angles. There are so many situations where the handicapped spot is very useful. For example I used to hang out with two friends of mine. Between the three of us, two of us were deaf-blind and one was hearing-sighted. As you can imagine, guiding two totally deaf-blind people can be quite a handful and I'm sure my hearing-sighted friend appreciated the shorter distance in having to guide us. We couldn't even use our canes on the ground because she had to hold them straight out so drivers would see us because we would otherwise almost inevitably have someone practically run us over.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:54 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,471,475 times
Quote:
Lol, I wonder if I should complain that other people's vision is wear and tear on my wrists because it's only because of sighted people's inattentiveness that I need to swing my cane so wide at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies