Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 11:47 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
I'm pretty sure I said EVANGELICAL protestants. Mainline protestants recite it the same as Catholics, as do Orthodox Churches.

No matter, you're all heretics anyway.
No Christianophobia....just a hater!

Old 09-20-2010, 08:56 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,597,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Bashing Christians or Catholics ...

Ahem

Old 09-20-2010, 09:04 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,918,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
How many?

Anyone who takes what the nut jobs of any religion "believe in" or protest against or have issues with should get a little more specific when starting threads like "Christianity is evil" or "Christians and their issues" or "why do Christians not act Christian like?" Because they obviously aren't run of the mill/mainstream Christians. They tend to be a little over the top and align themselves with a certain "type" or "group" of Christianity that is also over the top. .

That's what pisses regular Christians off and why the defense goes up: the anti-crazy Christian people can't seem to discern from normal Christians and crazy Christians. And then ancient history gets brought up like those living in this century,or the previous, actually supported the horror or were around to join in.

Yet they're quick on their toes to defend the religion of Islam and separate out the crazies from the non crazies!

You just proved my point.

Victim card? How about just being tired of hearing/watching your religion get trashed as a whole because SOME people have their panties all in a twist over ANYTHING Christian-ish b/c some nut jobs yank their chains?

It gets OLD and people need to shut up and sit down and figure out what they're so offended about. Is it the horrible ancient history they can't get over? Is it the present day crazy-Christian-fundies who by exercising their freedom of speech, right to assemble, right to protest who are so offensive in their beliefs/rights? And to who? Liberals who want them to go away and not be able to have a word to say? Trust me, it's not just libs or atheists who'd love for them to knock it off.

I'm not accountable for the crazies - like the folks at the Westboro church. Why should I be? Should all "environmentalists" feel they should be accountable for the wayward groups of crazies who burn up car dealerships?

Only if you're obtuse enough to believe that line of BS.

Oh, so NOW it's all about the Fundies? Clean up? Should Islam be all cleaned up and out too?

How would that work? How would you be ok with taking out/cleaning up the crazy faction of Christianity? How does one go about that? What's your suggestion? And how would you use that towards Islam? You know, given that their fundies are much more of a threat to your safety...unlike the crazy Christians who are such a huge threat to your "feelers".
You are tired of Christians getting bashed? I'm sure you don't stand up when Christians are bashing gays. I suppose that is alright. Many Christians on this forum are fast to label all gays as the "gay parade scantly clad having sex freaks" when in fact not all gays are that way. Perhaps if you called out those making ludicrous claims and points people wouldn't be so hard on Christians as a whole. You may want to ignore what the "crazy" type Christians are doing but perhaps you should be speaking out against how they act and try to make a difference within your own boat. You don't like how people "attack" Christians because of a few "crazies" well you know what? That percentage of "crazy" Christians is pretty high. But, yeah, it's easier to ignore what they are doing.

I guess it's way too hard to clean up matters in your own group. Suppose it's too hard to try to educate those around you with faulty thinking. God is about love and many Christians are far from that. Perhaps Christians should address the hypocrisy and lies they partake with in the name of the lord. It's nice how they pick and chose what to follow in the bible or distort things to fit their personal agendas. Please stop trying to divert attention away from current Christian shenanigans while trying to cover it up by saying, "people are stuck in the past man! We don't do those things anymore and shouldn't be held accountable for anything that has happened in the last 20 years let alone anything before that". I also suppose we should forget history and the pain that Christianity has caused.....the pain that Christianity is still causing. Have some accountability for heaven's sake. I would be like me saying that there aren't bad gay folks out there and then saying they don't represent the whole. Sadly they are part of the whole and I'm not going to make excuses or ignore the impact they have on people's perceptions.

Yes.....victim card. Take some responsibility for people of this faith's actions. You act like Christians do nothing to bring on people's unhappiness with how they act. Most people don't attack every little thing that Christians do. We just get tired of the constant "We know what is best for everybody" attitude and actions. It's funny that you complain about freedom of speech/expression and then don't want people saying anything negative about Christianity. Put the pieces together.......

I've said it a million times on this forum. There are good Christians and there are bad Christians. I'm a Lutheran. I'm not going to give a free pass to fellow Lutherans who are not being good folks. They represent us as a whole and I'm not going to give them a free pass when they are being stupid, evil, or disruptive to other folk's lives.

Last edited by R.J. MacReady; 09-20-2010 at 09:17 AM..

Old 09-20-2010, 09:18 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Another myth of the left regarding the failure of Christians to "keep up" with science.

Collins: Why this scientist believes in God - CNN
Most Christians will discard any science that conflicts with their sacred book. Take evolution for example.

Christians persecute those scientists until it is obvious that the Christian gig is over, such as when it became more than obvious that the earth revolved around the sun. The Catholic church finally "pardoned" Galileo from heresy in 1992!

Quote:
The Church eventually lifted the ban on Galileo's Dialogue in 1822, when it was common knowledge that the Earth was not the center of the Universe. Still later, there were statements by the Vatican Council in the early 1960's and in 1979 that implied that Galileo was pardoned, and that he had suffered at the hands of the Church. Finally, in 1992, three years after Galileo Galilei's namesake spacecraft had been launched on its way to Jupiter, the Vatican formally and publicly cleared Galileo of any wrongdoing.
For The First Time (or the last time): 1992: Catholic Church apologizes to Galileo, who died in 1642

Old 09-20-2010, 09:31 AM

294 posts, read 351,576 times
You've got to love someone who is convinced that there are masses of menacing Christians in our world today. Sure, we have a few confused individuals who decided to become priests for all the wrong reasons, but a world with the organized jihad that followed the ethnic cleansing in Boznia is a lot more relevant threat. Clinton's opposition, whether it was from Americans who don't feel war is ever an answer or the Serbs, Croats or the UN,was faint at best. I can't wait to tune into the local news and hear an anchor filling the world in, on the New Spanish Inquisition. Maybe the Pope will be forming an army again. The gay marriage issue, seems to be the "Big Offense" the Christians are"Guilty" for not caving in on, it's against what they believe in, once the pressure's off, liberal Christians will probaby make it happen anyway Who really goes willingly to edit their beliefs when it's being forced upon them?

Old 09-20-2010, 09:36 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,918,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikensquire View Post
The gay marriage issue, seems to be the "Big Offense" the Christians are "Guilty" for not caving in......Who really goes willingly to edit their beliefs when it's being forced upon them?
Christians don't force their beliefs upon others? Do you expect everybody to edit their beliefs and cave in to Christians when they force their beliefs on others?

Old 09-20-2010, 09:40 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
The bible caused it own rise in"Christianphobia" by these types of verses.

Deuteronomy 23:2 (King James Version)

1He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD.

2A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the LORD.

3An Ammonite or Moabite shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to their tenth generation shall they not enter into the congregation of the LORD for ever:

Old 09-20-2010, 09:47 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,308,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Most Christians will discard any science that conflicts with their sacred book. Take evolution for example.

Christians persecute those scientists until it is obvious that the Christian gig is over, such as when it became more than obvious that the earth revolved around the sun. The Catholic church finally "pardoned" Galileo from heresy in 1992!

No scientist is persecuted today more than the scientists who refuse to dogmatically accept the far left's global warming theory as a proven fact. The far left's church of environmentalism is a greater threat to scientists today than any other religion ever was. Combine that with the similarly aligned animal rights movement that bombs labs and kills scientists and it is clear that the left is far more anti-science than Christians or "the right".

Old 09-20-2010, 11:52 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
No scientist is persecuted today more than the scientists who refuse to dogmatically accept the far left's global warming theory as a proven fact. The far left's church of environmentalism is a greater threat to scientists today than any other religion ever was. Combine that with the similarly aligned animal rights movement that bombs labs and kills scientists and it is clear that the left is far more anti-science than Christians or "the right".
Now, THAT'S crazy. Your assumed enemy (the far left) is a danger to science? I'll acknowledge your global warming stance, but the rest of it is garbage. Environmentalism is sound science, but its application doesn't fit in with our heartless economic system. Animal testing is torture and has no scientific merit whatsoever. It's only value is to obtain profit from the sale of needless products.

I'm convinced mankind does influence climate but I'm not convinced it will be warmer. It could be anything, but it will definitely be different. Like any of the great arguments, it takes time for all of science to come to a single conclusion. That there currently is infighting is to be expected.

I'm a diehard environmentalist and animal rights supporter. Environmentalism and supporting animal rights are GOOD things and sound science. Some may go too far and break the law to support their beliefs, but then how many Christians have ignored the law to make their point? I think the number of Christians breaking laws (cough, abortionist murderers, cough) to make their point exceeds the few instances of criminal overzealousness by these two groups.

Christianity is anti-science because it continues to adhere to beliefs that are erroneous from a scientific perspective. Christianity has a long history of being anti-science, so this conclusion is supported by hundreds of years of historical fact. The world is not several thousand years old, for example. Of course, these beliefs would be difficult to abandon because doing so might (I say would) effectively end Christianity altogether. And therein lies the perceived persecution of Christianity. How can something illogical continue to form people's basis for reality?

Old 09-20-2010, 12:38 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,461,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Yes, I would agree that modern Christianity is much more peaceful than modern Islam, but I also think that some Christians tend to be hypersensitive. They see themselves as victims, so they often believe they're being picked on when they're really not.
Ummmmm...Do you feel the same about Muslims? They get all twisted about a cartoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies