Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 11:12 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times

Advertisements

Theories Mount That Stuxnet Worm Sabotaged Iranian Nuke Facilities - Andy Greenberg - The Firewall - Forbes

Perhaps this is why the rhetoric about Iran’s nuclear plant has been muted lately. The west is simply waiting for them to start it up so it will destroy itself. The west never has to fire a shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 11:21 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,331,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Theories Mount That Stuxnet Worm Sabotaged Iranian Nuke Facilities - Andy Greenberg - The Firewall - Forbes

Perhaps this is why the rhetoric about Iran’s nuclear plant has been muted lately. The west is simply waiting for them to start it up so it will destroy itself. The west never has to fire a shot.
I hope it's true.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:11 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
Well if you recall in the past Israel simply flew in and demolished the nukes.... you think they won't now?

Old 09-23-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Well if you recall in the past Israel simply flew in and demolished the nukes.... you think they won't now?
That is militarily possible, but there is a high price to pay politically. If they have engineered a virus that can cause say a malfunction in the core cooling functions the plant does a Chernobyl and they do not suffer international condemnation. The world just assumes the Iranians are inept. What’s more the threat of such a virus will probably postpone attempts to start up the plant, possibly indefinitely.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I doubt if the Iranian nuke is as vulnerable to self destruction as the reactor at Chernobyl. I also doubt the Iranian design team was and is unaware of the threat of viruses in their control code. I think they are capable of operating the reactor with hand controls and a printed instruction manual. I know if I were designing the facility I would do it that way.

NEVER ASSUME YOUR OPPONENT IS AS STUPID AS YOURSELF. THAT LEADS TO GREAT PAIN.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:26 AM

296 posts, read 228,604 times
An air raid to demolish Iranian nukes is long overdue...

No virus conspiracy theories,just plain old fashioned bombs...

Old 09-23-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I doubt if the Iranian nuke is as vulnerable to self destruction as the reactor at Chernobyl. I also doubt the Iranian design team was and is unaware of the threat of viruses in their control code. I think they are capable of operating the reactor with hand controls and a printed instruction manual. I know if I were designing the facility I would do it that way.

NEVER ASSUME YOUR OPPONENT IS AS STUPID AS YOURSELF. THAT LEADS TO GREAT PAIN.
Did you read the article?

Old 09-23-2010, 10:30 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
That's pretty interesting - and amazing if true.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:31 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
''Combine this with the fact that the worm was identified by a Belarusian security firm working for an Iranian client and the fact that the nuclear power plant was not working properly for months, it is understandable that speculation points towards Iran as the target.''

Mr Clulely said the world was moving into a ''third age'' of cyber crime, where the intention is not to make money but to bring down critical infrastructure.

''There are political, economic and military ways in which the internet can be exploited, and malware can be used to gain advantage by foreign states.''
The Truth Seeker - State-backed cyber attack targets Iran (http://www.thetruthseeker.co.uk/article.asp?ID=13493 - broken link)

Old 09-26-2010, 02:43 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
If I were to build a critical plant, I would not connect it to the Internet, that seems like a crazy idea...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies