Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 08:49 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,056,625 times

Advertisements

A few highlights:

The day the Democrats took over was not January 22nd 2009 -- it was actually January 3rd 2007. The day the Democrats took over the House of Representatives and the Senate, the start of the 110th Congress. The Democratic Party controlled a majority in both chambers for the first time since the end of the 103rd Congress in 1995.

At the time:

- The DOW Jones closed at 12,621.77
- The GDP for the previous quarter was 3.5%
- The Unemployment rate was 4.6%
- George Bush's economic policies SET A RECORD of 52 STRAIGHT MONTHS of JOB CREATION

And what has happened since? Let me guess, it's still Bush's fault?
Obama needs to take responsibility and stop blaming "the other side."

More...
The day the democrats took over was not January 22nd 2009, And who took the THIRD highest pay-off from Fannie Mae AND Freddie Mac? | Before It's News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 09:39 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
It's Bush's fault!

Move along. Nothing to see here.

LOL!

They will never admit that when Barney Frank took over the housing and financial committees, he trashed them, while pocketing millions from Freddie & Fannie.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:40 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
A few highlights:

The day the Democrats took over was not January 22nd 2009 -- it was actually January 3rd 2007. The day the Democrats took over the House of Representatives and the Senate, the start of the 110th Congress. The Democratic Party controlled a majority in both chambers for the first time since the end of the 103rd Congress in 1995.

At the time:

- The DOW Jones closed at 12,621.77
- The GDP for the previous quarter was 3.5%
- The Unemployment rate was 4.6%
- George Bush's economic policies SET A RECORD of 52 STRAIGHT MONTHS of JOB CREATION

And what has happened since? Let me guess, it's still Bush's fault?
Obama needs to take responsibility and stop blaming "the other side."

More...
The day the democrats took over was not January 22nd 2009, And who took the THIRD highest pay-off from Fannie Mae AND Freddie Mac? | Before It's News
Thank you...great post!!!!

Old 09-22-2010, 10:16 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,391 times
It is not logical to assume that the day a party takes control of Congress has anything to do with something as large as the American economy or the direction it takes. You people are grasping at straws. You can implement a tax cut and not see any effect for years. Or you can raise a tax and experience the same result.

If all you can do is draw erroneous conclusions from two vastly different concepts so you can find a convenient scapegoat, then you deserve the minimum wage job you've got.

I blame Congress, regardless of party. I blame the banksters. I blame the elites that pull the levers that control the system that virtually enslaves us. And I blame Bush for not doing the right thing just as much as I blame Obama for the same crime.

Now, with that settled, what's the solution? Or are we going to continue to fight our fellow citizens, put red stars on some bellies and blue diamonds on everyone else's and destroy everything in the process? I swear, it's like we all forgot the lessons of Dr. Seuss.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:20 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
It is not logical to assume that the day a party takes control of Congress has anything to do with something as large as the American economy or the direction it takes. You people are grasping at straws. You can implement a tax cut and not see any effect for years. Or you can raise a tax and experience the same result.

If all you can do is draw erroneous conclusions from two vastly different concepts so you can find a convenient scapegoat, then you deserve the minimum wage job you've got.

I blame Congress, regardless of party. I blame the banksters. I blame the elites that pull the levers that control the system that virtually enslaves us. And I blame Bush for not doing the right thing just as much as I blame Obama for the same crime.
Your post sounds very much like you may well be good Tea Party membership material. They blame Congress and either party also. I will join you on this idea.

However, things did start downhill when the Dems took over Congress and that was in 2007.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:25 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
I remember election day in Nov. 2006 well. All sorts of libs (including many I know) in Chicago had parties for weeks after celebrating how they were "in charge again."

Old 09-22-2010, 10:29 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Your post sounds very much like you may well be good Tea Party membership material. They blame Congress and either party also. I will join you on this idea.

However, things did start downhill when the Dems took over Congress and that was in 2007.
But what exactly is downhill? And what if downhill could not have been avoided from the countless decisions made in the decades that preceded said downhill?

We are a short-sighted and divided population. We spend more time attaching blame than actually dissecting and solving the problem. You know, from the sounds of what I'm writing, it's almost as if we deserve the Congress we get, the one that doesn't do anything right. We never stop long enough from our constant wrestling match to see that the venue is about to collapse!

Old 09-22-2010, 10:29 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,667,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I remember election day in Nov. 2006 well. All sorts of libs (including many I know) in Chicago had parties for weeks after celebrating how they were "in charge again."
Drunken orgies, I hear tell.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:31 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Drunken orgies, I hear tell.
I know nothing of those.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:38 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post

The Bush tax cuts worked immediately.
How many straight months of job creation in the private sector? 52 was it?

Isn't that about 2006 mid term time! What was the trigger? What applied the safety back on to stagnation and recession?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies