Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 01:40 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,280,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Indians don't eat animals?

Never have or not any more?

s'plain, Lucy.

I was unaware that mutton wasn't meat.

EDIT to add: Yes, i am aware that the primary cuisine of India is vegetarian and that the average age of death is 63.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 01:43 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,196,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Good for her. She doesn't represent all humans though, you realize that, right?
She is proof that humans don't really NEED to eat meat which is what the thread title is about...

Old 09-24-2010, 01:44 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
If man had not become a carnivore he would still be living in trees

Old 09-24-2010, 01:49 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
I was unaware that mutton wasn't meat.

EDIT to add: Yes, i am aware that the primary cuisine of India is vegetarian and that the average age of death is 63.
Well,

If they ate more of dem dere sacred cows, then mebee there wouldn't be so much sewer problems.

sorry,

but any culture that worships rats has big problems.

Protein ain't tops on the list.

No comparison and a real bad example.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:50 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,836,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
Yes I am a vegetarian but I am looking for other points of view- not to argue- but just curious on this...

Our teeth are not like an animal's who must eat meat to survive, although I realize centuries ago when there were no freezers to store vegetables for the winter, I suppose meat might have been the only food source, thus we did need to eat meat? OR are there vegetables that can still grow in sub zero temps?

Just kinda looking for different point of views. I am not looking to be convinced one way or another of anything nor will I try convince you to not eat meat.
NO!

but a juicy T-bone is not hard to swallow

Old 09-24-2010, 01:50 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Vegetarianism doesn't forbid consuming yogurt, cheese or milk, anyway. Amino acids are not a problem, either. A lot of Indians don't eat chicken or any other animals, but vegetarians are getting fewer as wealth increases. People think they have to emulate the West in every aspect.

Veganism is a different story, can be dangerous if one doesn't know a lot about nutrition...
That's true, I got used to the people around here that if you make the assumption of any animal products being okay when they say vegetarian they have a tantrum. Should have specified animal products as well contain complete proteins (especially eggs). Although, hunting was around a long before the domestication of animals.

I have seen that too with Indian food. The Indian in the office likes to ask me why I like peasant food. He doesn't see the correlation of increasing obesity with the excess consumption of crap...

Old 09-24-2010, 01:57 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
I never quite understood the protein argument. Hardly anybody eats raw meat (that is actually a bit dangerous because of parasites and bacteria), so when they cook or bbq meat, it is heated to way beyond 40°C. But at that temperature any protein is destroyed and may even turn into dangerous substances...

Old 09-24-2010, 02:00 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
Carnivores are always the dominant species (top of the food chain), vegetarians would do well to remember that.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:01 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I have seen that too with Indian food. The Indian in the office likes to ask me why I like peasant food. He doesn't see the correlation of increasing obesity with the excess consumption of crap...
I have noticed the same thing. I guess it is a status thing. Since meat is more expensive than plant stuff, people, especially people from poor families, want to eat meat in order to show that they can afford it.
But oftentimes poor people's food is healthier than rich people's food.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:02 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,173 times
I personally wouldn't survive without eating meat, so yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies