Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 10:15 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

I don't get why the rancor and envy. It's not like if x number of people make a million bucks it means there's less to go around and it comes out of your pocket.

Facebook, yahoo, google...all started up in the last couple of decades from thin air and some lines of code...and made their creators HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of $$.

This idea that the 'rich' have it all secreted away some where to oppress you and keep you from having it is ignorant and just highlights the envy going on here. ANYONE can be rich. If you want your life handed to you while you're doing nothing to better your situation, that's not the fault of those who did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 12:53 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't get why the rancor and envy. It's not like if x number of people make a million bucks it means there's less to go around and it comes out of your pocket.
That is, in fact, exactly what it means. For there to be a Bill Gates millions must go hungry. For money to have value it cannot simply be doled out to everyone according to their specifications. We cannot all become billionaires.

Quote:
Facebook, yahoo, google...all started up in the last couple of decades from thin air and some lines of code...and made their creators HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of $$.
Money that came from somewhere. It flowed from whence it came and left a deficit there and went towards its new home, the bank accounts of the newly minted rich guys. In a better world it would soon flow from their accounts to various accounts all over the world. That, increasingly does not happen because the wealth that can be earned 'from a few lines of code' is so mind boggling that the recipients simply can't spend it.

Quote:
This idea that the 'rich' have it all secreted away some where to oppress you and keep you from having it is ignorant and just highlights the envy going on here. ANYONE can be rich. If you want your life handed to you while you're doing nothing to better your situation, that's not the fault of those who did.
FAIL. If ANYONE could be rich, EVERYONE would be rich. Period. The ignorance is yours that you do not see the harm that the economic dead ends represented by numbered Swiss Bank accounts and offshore tax havens like the Cayman's do to our nation. Furthermore, when these individuals are free to use American investors for their capital, American consumers for their products and services but use offshore labor for their motive force this creates a further widening of the wealth imbalance.

H

Old 09-29-2010, 12:59 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
The richest 400 people in America have 1.047 trillion dollars in wealth, vs your average 400 Americans who have just under 20 million dollars in wealth. Bourgeoisie vs proletariats; open up your history books...
They have a LOT more than that. That kind of wealth controls markets and cash flow and empowers the hyper-rich to have trillions more under the radar.

H

Old 09-29-2010, 04:07 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
That is, in fact, exactly what it means. For there to be a Bill Gates millions must go hungry. For money to have value it cannot simply be doled out to everyone according to their specifications. We cannot all become billionaires.

Money that came from somewhere. It flowed from whence it came and left a deficit there and went towards its new home, the bank accounts of the newly minted rich guys. In a better world it would soon flow from their accounts to various accounts all over the world. That, increasingly does not happen because the wealth that can be earned 'from a few lines of code' is so mind boggling that the recipients simply can't spend it.

FAIL. If ANYONE could be rich, EVERYONE would be rich. Period. The ignorance is yours that you do not see the harm that the economic dead ends represented by numbered Swiss Bank accounts and offshore tax havens like the Cayman's do to our nation. Furthermore, when these individuals are free to use American investors for their capital, American consumers for their products and services but use offshore labor for their motive force this creates a further widening of the wealth imbalance.

H

Wealthy people either earned their money or inherited their money, but either way it is THEIR money to do with as they wish. I wouldn't want to live in a country that thought it was okay to take money from wealthy people just because there are people that have less. There will always be people that have less...there will also always be people that believe they are entitled to help from the government without working at all. How is that fair? Everyone that is able should work. I am tired of paying for people to do nothing and get a handout every month.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:38 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,609,252 times
Quote:
Here's an analogy. I have two kids. You have five. If one of your kids dies, you shouldn't feel nearly as sad as I do if one of my kids dies...I mean, that's 50% of my kids, and I'd feel a bigger change in my family than you would if you only lost 20% of your kids.

Do you see how asinine that argument is?
The real irony is you don't see how asinine YOUR argument is. Money is an objective thing, something that we've arbitrarily put value on. Family and loved ones are priceless and way more valuable at least to me, than any amount of money could ever think of holding. Do you understand the difference?

Old 09-29-2010, 05:17 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
The real irony is you don't see how asinine YOUR argument is. Money is an objective thing, something that we've arbitrarily put value on. Family and loved ones are priceless and way more valuable at least to me, than any amount of money could ever think of holding. Do you understand the difference?
Well, if it has no value, and is not important then we won't have to worry about re-distribution will we? Obviously, you agree that re-distribution should not happen because you don't even want any money.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:18 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:

H

This is insane.

The assumption is that wealth accumulation is a zero sum game, in which there is only a fixed amount of wealth in the world, and if one gains, another loses.

This is so wrong that it defies belief. It denies the whole concept of industrialization, invention, and the expansion of human knowledge. If the "zero sum" supposition was true, we would still all be living in caves. One person would have a bigger cave, but no fire.

Do you suppose that the average person in the US has not had any improvement in health, lifestyle, and knowledge since its inception? If you counter with the silly relativism argument, I would rather be a middle class citizen in the US than a king in the middle ages.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:

H
Lol!!! Do you really believe this stuff? I mean, honestly? Have you taken an economics or math or history class like...ever?

Here's a cute cartoony way to help you:

YouTube - Stick Figure Logic: The Truth About Capitalism.flv

I'm not a Beck fan or supporter, but I'm just trying to make things easy for you guys.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
Do you understand that just like no one could ever understand what your child means to you, no one else can claim to understand what anything means to anyone else? Do you get that?

Old 09-29-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
, I would rather be a middle class citizen in the US than a king in the middle ages.
To most of the poor all over the world, our 'poor' (most of whom own cars, refrigerators, and color tvs) are total fat cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies