Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 03:33 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times

Advertisements

Sorry Obama your not Superman. Your transparent attempt to get in front of the explosion of dialogue from this movie is disgusting.

YouTube - Waiting For Superman - Official Trailer HD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 03:34 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Ain't gonna happen. The main reason is because the systems can't afford it if "longer school year" means more days in class. In MD increasing the school year by 20 days (1 month, 200 days or so in class) would mean a salary bump of $5K to $10K per teacher.
Fighting against that, in addition to many teachers, would be the industry, at colleges, that's grown up around teachers having to attend classes in the summer to retain their certification.

If by "longer school year" you mean that you get rid of summer and do shorter breaks throughout the year while keeping the 180 days in class then you aren't "increasing" the school year, just rearranging it.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:36 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,985,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Honestly I think we should just do away with schooling altogether and make homeschooling the norm. Any teacher will tell you that most of class time is wasted on classroom management. Students could learn three times as much by the same age if they didn't have to sit through classes that are mostly spent on telling Johnny to be quiet and Sarah to pay attention. Also the social atmosphere distracts from learning. Instead of giving learning a social structure, it makes much more sense to have structured time for learning, and then structured time for socializing with other kids.
I wish you would try that in your State. Then when all the unemployable, uneducated desperate mobs wreak havoc on your neighborhood you can erect 15 ft barbed wire wall to keep them out.

Then all the World will come to your State because it's such a great place to raise a family and it has so many skilled workers!

Oh God for once let these selfish, greedy right wingers get what they ask for!

Amen

Old 09-27-2010, 03:36 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Honestly, we've had a few year-round schools around here. They've been proven to be better than normal public schools.
We have a couple of schools here that run that way and the kids seem to prefer it.
Much less 'start-up' time each fall, and it reduces the need to compress so much material into each semester.

I'm all for it.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:49 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,387,355 times
Right now in Georgia our teachers and staff are facing 10 furlough days (that's without pay). How could they be expected to lengthen the school year when they can't pay for it now and there have been no raises for several years.
More obligations need to be placed on parents. The schools are not there to socialize students, but to educate them. If teachers could just teach, that would solve half the problems.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:50 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,451,117 times
I disagree with him. Quality education is more important than quantity.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:54 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,444,205 times
"Pro-family policy. Long summer vacations are a big disruption for working families. Census data shows that two-thirds of American children live in homes with a single parent or where both parents work. An Urban Institute study also shows that over 40 percent of working families pay for child care during the summer--amounting to 8 percent of their summertime income. Extending the school year will help these families by lessening that burden and stress. Likewise, latch-key kids are more likely to get mixed up in juvenile crime. Another month of school will help reduce this problem and assure parents that their kids are in a safe place."

Overdue: extended school years. - Free Online Library

It's not about "throwing money at a problem", it's about sound education policies that help our children become better adult citizens.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:00 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,028,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
As one of the few year round employees at a school, i am all for longer school years.
...and longer school days as well.

I see school busses driving around at 1 pm dropping kids off. WTF? I know these kids don't start at 4 am, so what's with this 4 hr day cr@p. No wonder they are all lazy idiots by the time they graduate.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:03 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,444,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post

...and longer school days as well.

I see school busses driving around at 1 pm dropping kids off. WTF? I know these kids don't start at 4 am, so what's with this 4 hr day cr@p. No wonder they are all lazy idiots by the time they graduate.
Indeed!

Old 09-27-2010, 04:13 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,264,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Obama presses for longer school years - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100927/ap_on_bi_ge/us_obama - broken link)

"We have got to identify teachers who are doing well. Teachers who are not doing well, we have got to give them the support and the training to do well. And if some teachers aren't doing a good job, they've got to go," Obama said.

Now the Republicans are going to whine that Obama wants to further educate the kids. Wah wah!!

I can hear the whining already. Music to my ears.
I don't disagree that teachers who aren't doing a "good job" should go, but the last 15 days of school are wind -down days anyway. Field days, trips, half days, etc. I don't know that it would really make a difference.

And as far as educational "tools" being available to the "poor" - local library? Maybe even the schools could open up their school libraries one a week with volunteers to GET those kids some books to read.

And like others have said, extending the school year in states that aren't used to it would mean an increase in salaries which would mean, for people who live in a state where property taxes fund public schools, higher property taxes.

It would hurt and could put a lot of "summer businesses" out of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies