Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 08:42 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,661,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Actually divorce is the biggest female emancipator
Huh?
This is a discussion of prostitution.
Unless you consider a married woman a prostitute; a legal prostitute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 08:43 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,312,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Prostitution laws are local. The Supreme Court has no business inserting itself into the matter. I'm not at all sure how you can arrive at prostitution having anything to do with free speech.

I'd suggest (and this is strictly my opinion) that your initial post in this thread comes across as more of a jab at "Puritanical Right Wingers" than an honest question as to whether prostitution should or should not be legal.
Can you explain why prostitution should be illegal?

Old 09-29-2010, 08:58 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,245,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Is there a scientific study somewhere that can be referenced or is that just your opinion?
Feminist Issues in Prostitution

Old 09-29-2010, 09:07 AM

507 posts, read 679,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Yes, actually I do. Liberalism is like Islam, you go into other people's countries and infect it with your ideology (by the way Islam is also a political system, called Sharia) and turn it inside and out. We have the system we do today, because this country is too big to accommodate one set of interests, which you are keen on doing. I'm happy with the status quo, it's the best we can achieve towards balance, I'm very big on states' rights. By the way, you and your leftist friends only make up less than 10% of the population, so do us a favor and stop trying to tell the rest of the Americans that lives outside of California and New York to accept your states' hedonistic lifestyles. Thank you very much.
This has got to be one of the most messed up things I've read in a while.

Anyway, on the matter at hand, I typically believe that legal forms of prostitution help stamp out abuse in the system. Models like The Bunny Ranch in Nevada work because the prostitutes are drug and STD tested, not abused, and there are laws at work protecting their rights. The fact is prostitution has existed for centuries and it is never going away. However, legalizing it could help protect some of the woman (and men) involved in the profession. I think more work also needs to be done in bringing in the pimps who basically force some of the workers into this life without the right to leave. Simply locking up these prostitutes never works when there are larger power structures at play.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I would not call the 13-year-old paper exactly 'scientific', however I would think that radical feminists are against the current state of prostitution (illegal and therefore rife with abuse of all kinds). I didn't happen to read any commentary regarding what their stance would be if it was legal, which is what this discussion is about.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I would not call the 13-year-old paper exactly 'scientific', however I would think that radical feminists are against the current state of prostitution (illegal and therefore rife with abuse of all kinds). I didn't happen to read any commentary regarding what their stance would be if it was legal, which is what this discussion is about.
I'm talking about radical feminists, not ordinary feminists. Radical feminists believe all sex is rape, so do you think they would favor legalizing prostitution?

Old 09-29-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
here's a starting point for you.

Radical feminists are opposed to the legalization of prostitution, so your question is not valid, because they oppose prostitution, period.

Feminist views on prostitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-29-2010, 09:33 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,534,685 times
Quote:
I'm talking about radical feminists, not ordinary feminists. Radical feminists believe all sex is rape, so do you think they would favor legalizing prostitution?
Too funny!

Old 09-29-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Gee, I guess I should brush up on the many types of feminism. I didn't realize my gender was so diverse!

What difference does it make that a fringe group favors or does not favor prostitution, anyway?

The discussion is about whether it should be legal or not.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:00 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,945,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why should I delete it

fact is that prostitution is a service, or a product, and people are being PAID to perform that service, and people are PAYing for that service

the prositute should be paying taxes on their money earned

the john should be paying sales tax at least

under the new laws from obama any business transactions over 600 ANNUAL require a 1099

and no-one should work off the books (legal or illegal (either action or alien)) you work off the books you are not paying into the system....we need a flat tax on all income..to include prostitution and welfare

its just like the so called 'drug war'...legalize it and tax it

or do you not see the light
I see the light alright. Now let me ask you a question: 1. What percent of prostitution do you imagine is of the mid to high class kind of transaction that is governable? Give me a ballpark for revenue stream based on taxing the girls only and the girls and john's together. Taxing the john's only will never fly as a concept. What do you imagine would be the revenue from taxing the hyper-rich at a gentle 25% on the first 10 Million? Which program do you imagine is more implementable and enforceable taxing sex workers and their customers or taxing the wealthiest members of our society commensurate with their income?

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies