Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2010, 02:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
You know, I can see your stance here, but it goes much further than the simple $75. So we shouldn't expect neighbors to help out either since they weren't paid? If this message that this fire department is sending is taken in by the masses, then nobody would help anyone unless they are paid for the help. Is that how this country should work? No more noble hand lending? I bet there are some of those firemen that live in the area that didn't pay the $75 either because they think they don't have to if they are the ones putting out the fire, but do you think they will let their own house burn down? Never in a million years...
I grew up in an area with a Volunteer Fire Department, and live in a city now that has a VFD.

The thing is, the neighbors do not have the equipment to put out a house fire. A few garden hoses are not going to cut it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 02:43 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,905,541 times
If they just had this built into their property taxes, everything would be fine. But noooo. They have to play politics. I feel sorry for EVERYONE in that area or area's that have to live like that.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:46 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,546,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
If they just had this built into their property taxes, everything would be fine. But noooo. They have to play politics. I feel sorry for EVERYONE in that area or area's that have to live like that.
Thanks for your sympthies. BTW, are you or have you ever been a volunteer fire fighter? Your sympathy doesn't do a lot of good with regard to stoping a house fire. I guess that's the urban mentality, if you feel bad about something it'll make it all better.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:47 PM

181 posts, read 339,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
If they accept taxpayers money they must serve everyone.
If they accept no taxpayer money they should not have an area
They owner should sue and own their trucks
Sueing the fire department is probably the least of this man's concerns at this time.

If he paid his fire insurance, the conversation with them was probably distressful.

Homeowner:
"See I lost everything because I did not pay the Fire Department fee."

Insurance agent:
"So, you are saying we have a total loss, instead of a partial loss, because you did not pay the required fee? You did not do everything you could to mitigate
your damages?"

How do you think the rest of that will go?

Old 09-30-2010, 02:49 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,961,323 times
Quote:
Most county residents get to vote on taxes. Is there a chance that a fire protection tax was put up to vote and failed, thus leaving no other option but the "fee" system in this specific area for those county residents who wanted fire protection?

Old 09-30-2010, 02:54 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,905,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Thanks for your sympthies. BTW, are you or have you ever been a volunteer fire fighter? Your sympathy doesn't do a lot of good with regard to stoping a house fire. I guess that's the urban mentality, if you feel bad about something it'll make it all better.
Urban mentality? I live in the middle of NOWHERE on acres of land. And no, I am not or have never been a vol FF. What does that have to do with a subscription-type system being a bad idea?

Old 09-30-2010, 02:57 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,308,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
If they accept taxpayers money they must serve everyone.
If they accept no taxpayer money they should not have an area
They owner should sue and own their trucks
I guess they didn't get your memo. They have tax payers in South Fulton that pay taxes and get fire department service. These people obviously live in an unincorporated area or an area with the city government does not provide fire department services. This is common in rural areas or area outside of towns and cities where the tax base is small and resources are limited. This man had the option of paying the fire department service from Sowth Fulton. He didn't and he paid dearly.

Unless there is something specifically written in the laws in the State of Kentucky that mandate a fire department MUST render aid when it is called then the man has no legal grounds for a lawsuit.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:00 PM

7,187 posts, read 4,773,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Most county residents get to vote on taxes. Is there a chance that a fire protection tax was put up to vote and failed, thus leaving no other option but the "fee" system in this specific area for those county residents who wanted fire protection?

Probably. If the residents of a county want to keep their property taxes so low as to not have a properly funded fire department, then that is their choice and they have to live with the consequences.

The homeowner made the choice of refusing to pay $6.25/month for fire protection. WOW! That has to be, without a doubt, one of the stupidest decisions I have ever heard. He's lucky he's alive. Mother Nature is usually a lot more cruel when it tries to stamp out stupidity.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:01 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,859,195 times
Quote:
Urban mentality? I live in the middle of NOWHERE on acres of land. And no, I am not or have never been a vol FF. What does that have to do with a subscription-type system being a bad idea?
Is your home serviced by a local fire department?

Old 09-30-2010, 03:03 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,859,195 times
Quote:
Yes these people likely voted to have a fee based system because of people like this homeowner who didn't see the value in paying for fire service probably because they thought even without paying they would get to take advantage of the services other people paid for. So instead these people get to see exactly where their money goes and what they pay for...

What a say way to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies