Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:54 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,953,260 times

Advertisements

A recent news report stated that the number of women being murdered by dead-beat-dad to avoid paying or avoiding child support payments is on the increase; and has been increasing steadily each year. The report said many of these dead-beat-dads saw murder as the only out.

Is there a flaw in the system? Is forced child support payments causing more harm than good? Could this turn into uncontrolled murders in U.S. cities, such as in other third world countries? Should Child Support laws be changed or for that matter, abolished altogether? Is it time for this issue to be addressed by congress before it gets worse?

What is your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 10:01 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,260,792 times
Forcing someone to pay support for their offspring cannot "lead someone to murder." And no, it is not causing more harm than good. This sounds like blaming the system instead of the individual. Each person is responsible for their own actions.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:03 PM

467 posts, read 325,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
A recent news report stated that the number of women being murdered by dead-beat-dad to avoid paying or avoiding child support payments is on the increase; and has been increasing steadily each year. The report said many of these dead-beat-dads saw murder as the only out.

Is there a flaw in the system? Is forced child support payments causing more harm than good? Could this turn into uncontrolled murders in U.S. cities, such as in other third world countries? Should Child Support laws be changed or for that matter, abolished altogether? Is it time for this issue to be addressed by congress before it gets worse?

What is your opinion?
Is this question a joke?

Do you really mean to ask if men should be allowed to abandon their children, financially, to avoid murdering them??????

Old 07-02-2007, 10:05 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,229,470 times
I join the chorus on this issue, how on earth can you justify abandoning your children financially? Who pays if they don't? How many cases of forced payments are currently in effect, and how many result in murders?

It has to be statistically insignificant. They need to be punished to the maximum extent of the law. If you don't plan on supporting your kids, don't have them.

No exceptions.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:09 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,453,453 times
Reducing or eliminating child support payments to avoid murder is not the answer.

My FIL paid my MIL a ridiculous amount of money and she makes a lot more than he does, but my FIL gave the money with a giving heart. He loved his kids and still wanted to provide for them. He never even questioned it. Does anyone think of the kids anymore???

Old 07-02-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toninole View Post
Is this question a joke?

Do you really mean to ask if men should be allowed to abandon their children, financially, to avoid murdering them??????

According to the report, not me, dead-beat-dads are committing murder to avoid child support. The report was just on last night. And if you read my post, nowhere did I ask if men should be allowed to abandon their children. I asked if the laws should be look at in light of the circumstances.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:15 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,260,792 times
Quote:
According to the report, not me, dead-beat-dads are committing murder to avoid child support. The report was just on last night. And if you read my post, nowhere did I ask if men should be allowed to abandon their children. I asked if the laws should be look at in light of the circumstances.
Well, then no, the laws should not be looked at. If anything I wish their was stricter enforcement of the laws.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Forcing someone to pay support for their offspring cannot "lead someone to murder." And no, it is not causing more harm than good. This sounds like blaming the system instead of the individual. Each person is responsible for their own actions.
I agree with you. However, there have been many laws enacted, which, after being realized were either flawed, or ineffective, were abolished, or revised.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:20 PM

467 posts, read 325,347 times
Quote:
I think it is an interesting topic, but I guess I don't understand where the question or controversy is...

Did you expect any of us to side with the dads? Is there ever a situation where a father should murder his kids because he might have to pay high child support?

Old 07-02-2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Well, then no, the laws should not be looked at. If anything I wish their was stricter enforcement of the laws.
Huh.... How would stricter laws help? The laws are rather leanient now, and look what's begining to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies