Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you react to heterosexuals who are anti-homosexual?
I usually agree with them 25 19.08%
I usually disagree with them 88 67.18%
I'm neutral on the subject 18 13.74%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 08:55 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Sometimes people say mean things, you gotta get over it.
Is that what you'd say to the 12 or 13 year old who's being bullied because of, not necessarily even his sexual orientation, but just his perceived sexual orientation? If so, I honestly hope you don't have kids.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:58 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Is that what you'd say to the 12 or 13 year old who's being bullied because of, not necessarily even his sexual orientation, but just his perceived sexual orientation? If so, I honestly hope you don't have kids.
Awwwwwww, just place some bubble wrap around your kid and make sure his ears are completely covered, then go ahead and send him out into the world completely protected from that evil outside world...

Old 10-05-2010, 09:00 AM

624 posts, read 1,121,715 times
Quote:
Well, see, that's part of the problem. In many areas of this country they AREN'T 'granted equal rights'. For instance, what can you call 'equal' about a state that allows gays and lesbians to be foster parents, but won't allow them to adopt the children they look after, sometimes for most of the child's life? What can you call 'equal' about even my own state of Nevada that allows a hetero couple to come to town, get a marriage license and be married, all within less than 24 hours, but won't allow a gay couple to get married at all? Those are just two of the many examples of inequality in this country and it sickens me.
The marriage is not a civil right! It's a religious practice! Sorry but we can't change the religions just to accommodate the failed ones!
Civil unions are not really a right neither but they can have it! In my country the state doesn't have anything to do with the marriage! People get married at the city council then at the church (does that are not religious remain just with the civil union made by the state). The marriage at the church is not official!
Actually I think that just in US the marriage made by the church is recognized by state!

Old 10-05-2010, 09:01 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Thanks, Sugar. Wish I could give you a big sloppy kiss to show my appreciation.
Thanks, but I'll pass. The missus might get jealous.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:09 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
For the record, I don't like this sort of condescending language and appeal. You can point out the errors and fallacious nature of people's thought without appealing to something raw/base like that.
Actually, I see nothing 'raw/base' about what Annie said at all. When attempting to point out someone's lack of compassion, sometimes you have to get 'raw' to get the point across. In this case, the way to get him to see his own lack of compassion is by reminding him where he might be if others had that same lack of compassion toward the plight of his people.

And this is my last word on that because it is getting too far off the topic of the thread.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:11 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Uh I would guess the majoritY of whites do feel the way I do. As do most people. No one cares about oppression until someones down their neck, otherwise it is marginal to them. Why do you think a the race of native americans cease to exist? Why do you think 6 million jews vanished? You think hitler(who was elected by popular vote) waved a magic wand, or got some help from willing "folk"? How many people accross europe saw what happened to the jews and said "meh oh well"? Humans are cruel, thats the way it is.

And blacks would not have attained freedom had it not been for the compassion of WHITE LAWYERS in congress , not white laymen. Huge difference. And considering all the lawsuits, my guess would be gays are pretty well lawyered up. So again, I just don't think there is anything to fuss about. I have no sympathy, sorry. Life is cruel, accept and move on.
Still took a white voice. Even if most white people were still completely racist bigots, it took a minority of white allies to help get the movement rolling. When you don't have a voice of your own, you need allies who do have a voice to be heard. I see the same thing happen with gay rights and disability rights. People listen to the straight and able-bodied allies cause they're just more used to taking their opinions more seriously since they still rank higher on the social totem pole.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:14 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Last time I checked it was called free speech.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:16 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
The same needs to be asked why all the hatred for religious people and Conservatives. Gays spew some of the most hatred around when it comes to those 2 subjects.
I don't hate religion. And while I can't speak for others, I'd venture to guess it's not religion gay people hate, it's the fact that a lot of people use religion to justify hating them. Hating the fact that others hate you seems like a pretty normal human reaction to me. No one likes to be hated.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:20 AM

624 posts, read 1,121,715 times
Quote:
Uh I would guess the majoritY of whites do feel the way I do. As do most people. No one cares about oppression until someones down their neck, otherwise it is marginal to them. Why do you think a the race of native americans cease to exist? Why do you think 6 million jews vanished? You think hitler(who was elected by popular vote) waved a magic wand, or got some help from willing "folk"? How many people accross europe saw what happened to the jews and said "meh oh well"? Humans are cruel, thats the way it is.

And blacks would not have attained freedom had it not been for the compassion of WHITE LAWYERS in congress , not white laymen. Huge difference. And considering all the lawsuits, my guess would be gays are pretty well lawyered up. So again, I just don't think there is anything to fuss about. I have no sympathy, sorry. Life is cruel, accept and move on.
You don't understand the concept of being powerless and you never lived in a totalitarian regime (I didn't neither but my parents did). In the nazi Germany if someone wanted to save the Jews or didn't agree with the power he was wiped out like he didn't existed! So was in communism! It wasn't that people didn't care... but they cared more for their life that for others!

Old 10-05-2010, 09:25 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Quote:
And just what would those 'risk factors' be? The biggest 'risk' to being gay would probably be in acknowledging that they are gay - especially around people like you who see 'no problem' with gay bashing. I get the feeling you also see 'no problem' with the bullying that has, just in the last month, caused several young men to commit suicide.
No, the average life expectancy of a gay male is 20 years less than a hetero male. And, its not from murder or suicide. This is not a minor difference. There is nothing else you can do except be an inner city drug dealer or a prisoner in a maximum security prison to increase the mortality risk that much. Its sort of like a death sentance to be a gay male.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies