Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you react to heterosexuals who are anti-homosexual?
I usually agree with them 25 19.08%
I usually disagree with them 88 67.18%
I'm neutral on the subject 18 13.74%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 05:46 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times

Advertisements

^ naw, he's butt-hurt

Old 10-05-2010, 06:25 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,468,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist
Besides the immorality of it, and the risk to their souls, there are health factors and emotional factors associated with it.

Fact of the matter is, HIV runs the highest rate among gay men. That's just the way it is, and I'm sorry if you think it's hateful to point out the truth.

And just so you don't think I'm singling out gay people, I'll tell the same thing to any straight guy engaging in like behavior with a woman he's not married to.
46% of HIV cases are among black people. And while on the national level you're right that gay men have the highest rate of HIV, on the global level, the demographic with the highest rate of HIV is heterosexuals.

HIV/AIDS Demographics - HIVInfoSource.org

HIV/AIDS and African Americans | Topics | CDC HIV/AIDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist
Are you judging me? That's kind of rude, don't you think?
What do you think you've been doing this whole thread? You're judging gays for being "immoral" because of your personal beliefs.

Quote:
Gay people have the exact same rights straight people do. I can't marry anyone of the same gender, either.
No, gays don't. Straight people have the right to marry the person they fall in love with. Since gays fall in love with people of the same sex, they can only marry someone they're not in love with. Hardly comparable.

Quote:
No…it really isn't. My argument against gay marriage is that I don't believe we should give special rights to people based on who they like to be intimate with. We all have the right to marry--it's just a question of who you want to marry.
We already have given special rights to heterosexuals. Unless of course we redefine marriage as having nothing to do with the person you love, then allowing opposite-sex marriage restricts marriage to heterosexuals.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:22 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,578,593 times
This thread confirms my beliefs about religious people.

If you are religious, you are delusional and mental. You are sick in the head and you need help right away. I feel sorry for people like this. I hope they are cured of their mental illnesses soon.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:59 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The overall theme of the gay activist threads on CD seem to be from very angry people who are not happy being who they are.
And how have you come to that conclusion, doctor?

Old 10-05-2010, 08:45 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,210,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post

If you are religious, you are delusional and mental. You are sick in the head and you need help right away. I feel sorry for people like this. I hope they are cured of their mental illnesses soon.
That's not really fair--many people who profess a faith are kind and loving--for many Christians, it means that they try to be Christ like--to live a life of caring and concern for others, modeled on the life of Jesus.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but this seems appropriate here in light of many of the posts on this issue. There is a huge debate among some theologians over whether or not various forms of Christianity are even the same religion, except in name. The philosophy of division is described by some as the difference between "rule of law" and "rule of love". It's more complex than this, but basically some Christian groups believe the bible is a book of laws written by God and followed strictly by believers. Other Christians focus more on Christ's message of love for God, each other, forgiveness and salvation. I think what you're seeing here is a split not just on political grounds, but on basic issues of faith for many people. There's a really interesting site created by the Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance--it basically outlines in matter of fact and unbiased terms what people of many different faith groups believe. Some of you might find it interesting. They also have a section on the religious arguments pro and against gay rights. Here's the essay there on the differences between Christian faith groups:

The causes of divisions within Protestant Christianity:

Last edited by mb1547; 10-05-2010 at 08:57 PM..

Old 10-05-2010, 08:52 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,530,126 times
I figure they are closet cases. Otherwise why would they care about what one person is doing sexually with another? They must have a picture in their mind. Where would they get that picture if not from visualization? Why are they so insecure?

Old 10-05-2010, 08:54 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,468,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post

By saying this, you're just doing the same thing the individuals you are complaining about do. It's easy to fall into generalizations but we should remember not all members of any group, whether religious or based on sexual orientation or something else, are uniform in their thoughts and beliefs.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:56 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
That's not really fair--many people who profess a faith are kind and loving--for many Christians, it means that they try to be Christ like--to live a live of caring and concern for others, modeled on the life of Jesus.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but this seems appropriate here in light of many of the posts on this issue. There is a huge debate among some theologians over whether or not various forms of Christianity are even the same religion, except in name. The philosophy of division is described by some as the difference between "rule of law" and "rule of love". It's more complex than this, but basically some Christian groups believe the bible is a book of laws written by God and followed strictly by believers. Other Christians focus more on Christ's message of love for God, each other, forgiveness and salvation. I think what you're seeing here is a split not just on political grounds, but on basic issues of faith for many people. There's a really interesting site created by the Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance--it basically outlines in matter of fact and unbiased terms what people of many different faith groups believe. Some of you might find it interesting. They also have a section on the religious arguments pro and against gay rights. Here's the essay there on the differences between Christian faith groups:

The causes of divisions within Protestant Christianity:
Very interesting, enlightening post.
You are correct about the "letter of the law" Christians vs the "rule of love" Christians.
My mother is a devout Christian of the latter flavor, she has always been appalled by the "letter" Christians.
Non-judgmental, but appalled nonetheless.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:03 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
And how have you come to that conclusion, doctor?
1) That is the impression I receive and the tone conveighed. The threads do nothing to promote civil discussion but instead attack anyone with differing views or ideas as "haters", "fundies" or "homophobes" or any other of a variety of names. I call it like I see it, you don't have to agree but that doesn't make my opinion any less valid.

2) Just because a person does not hold your views does not make them "anti-homosexual"; it simply means they disagree. The victim card, be it on race, sexual-gender orientation, or income, is extremely wearisome on this forum. Perhaps as one of the most prolific thread/poll starters on anything "gay/homosexual" you are too close to the subject to reflect upon your posts objectively. YMMV

3) I'm not a doctor and never claimed to be so I suspect you do not use the word as a term of affection.

4) I have not opened you DM to me; it has been deleted. Do not send me messages as I have never contacted you off thread. Anything you feel a need to say should fit nicely on a public board within the TOS where everyone can read it.

Have a nice evening.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:20 PM

144 posts, read 121,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
1) That is the impression I receive and the tone conveighed. The threads do nothing to promote civil discussion but instead attack anyone with differing views or ideas as "haters", "fundies" or "homophobes" or any other of a variety of names. I call it like I see it, you don't have to agree but that doesn't make my opinion any less valid.

2) Just because a person does not hold your views does not make them "anti-homosexual"; it simply means they disagree. The victim card, be it on race, sexual-gender orientation, or income, is extremely wearisome on this forum. Perhaps as one of the most prolific thread/poll starters on anything "gay/homosexual" you are too close to the subject to reflect upon your posts objectively. YMMV

3) I'm not a doctor and never claimed to be so I suspect you do not use the word as a term of affection.

4) I have not opened you DM to me; it has been deleted. Do not send me messages as I have never contacted you off thread. Anything you feel a need to say should fit nicely on a public board within the TOS where everyone can read it.

Have a nice evening.
A straight, to-the-point verbal ass kickin'; I read in envy. Good post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies