Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you react to heterosexuals who are anti-homosexual?
I usually agree with them 25 19.08%
I usually disagree with them 88 67.18%
I'm neutral on the subject 18 13.74%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 05:02 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Are you judging me? That's kind of rude, don't you think?

I'm curious if you can actually present a reasonable argument of if you're just spewing what you've heard others say.

Do you know the rest of that verse? It says "...or you'll be judged by the same standards". I'm ok with being judged by the standards I'm judging you. Are you ok with being judged by the standards you're judging me by?
See, there you go again, very clumsily trying to insert words.
I havent judged you at all, I merely presented you with an opportunity to impale yourself, which you did quite nicely.
Have a nice day.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:11 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I understand that conversations about sexuality can provoke strong reactions, but I can't understand why some people are so strongly anti-gay that they need to make negative comments whenever the subject comes up. I can't see anything good about being anti-gay.
The gay lifestyle, or people who are gay seldom comes up, and even when it does no one makes comments or has "strong reactions" about the subject.

The only discussions I every see about gays, are the ones here, this place is obsessed with everything gay.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:14 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
I assume that they hate the Homosexuality within themselves.

And I assume they have stronger Homosexual urges than most people.

I worked out for over two decades, at the same gym. Over the years, it turned out that virtually every one of the loud Homophobes was, at the time he was spouting anti-Gay remarks, actively open to homosexual acts. Sometimes, the very gays they were making fun of (with the other closet cases), were schtupping the homophobes, in secret. To put it otherwise, the big ol' manly Gay-hating 'Offensive Tackles' secretly liked playing 'Tight End'.

The other loud Homophobes, the ones who were only latent, came to act on their same-sex urges, later in life.

Truth goes where fiction never even thought about going.

As for the Homophobes who don't work out, and either blow up like Toads, or shrivel up like Prunes, as they age....they don't have the opportunities bodybuilders do, to hook up with hotties, when they hit fifty, and finally realize they might as well take the plunge. When nobody wants you, you become bitter, like all the crazy, scripture-writing hermits living in caves in the 'Holy Land'. So, I suspect they just get meaner and more homophobic with age. Sorta like Andy Rooney. Maybe they end up stomping through the floor, in fits of homo-hating rage like Rumpelstiltskin.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 10-05-2010 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: tweak

Old 10-05-2010, 05:15 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Christians such as yourself are the biggest reason for atheism.

I havent said anything about any rules, thats just you attempting to put words in my mouth, and badly at that.

Prove it? I dont have to, Google it.

Give you an example? Teach yourself...just like the proverb "Teach a man to fish"......or can you not figure these things out for yourself?

You know nothing of my morals.......doesnt the Bible say "Judge not"?

Try practicing what you preach, bless your heart.
Wow, you really like to pervert the meaning of scripture in order to write an example.
http://www.cfirecm.com/QandA/Judge%2...e%20Judged.htm
We will be judge in the same accordance by which we judge others, the scripture does not instruct not to judge at all, as I understand it. YMMV

The overall theme of the gay activist threads on CD seem to be from very angry people who are not happy being who they are. The recent links to epidemiology journals in this specific thread seems to support that homosexual males tend to partake in unhealthy lifestyles that may result in a shorter lifespan.

Obviously there is something wrong that is not going to be answered by a piece of paper, be it legislation or a marriage certificate, that will lead to a better feeling of self worth . Therefore, the answer must lie elsewhere.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:22 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,824,608 times
Quote:
I honestly don't care what you do in your bedroom---knock yourself out. But don't try to force your values on me by wanting legal rights declared based on it. I call that forcing your values.
Actually, that's called legal protection under the law. See, if gays start getting married... it won't force anything onto you. You aren't going to be forced to get married to the same gender. There's no forcing going on towards you.

Quote:
God says you're wrong. He created the universe. Give me a morals system that can supercede that.
Talking in absolutes about things that cannot be proven or disproven? You're silly.

Quote:
If you're going to base your morals off of a subjective source, what happens when someone says rape, murder, stealing, etc is ok?
Uh, God kind of DID say that rape, murder, and stealing is okay, so long as it was some tribe he didn't care for. Haven't you read the Old Testament?

Old 10-05-2010, 05:22 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
Prove it.

Give me an example.

The Bible is the word of God--the Creator of the universe. Your set of morals are what makes you feel warm and fuzzy. Personally, I'd take the objective standards set up by God over your rules any day.
Actually, most mainline protestants believe the Bible is the word of God, but to understand that word, it's interpretation has to be based in understanding the cultural norms of the time it was written--they don't support literal interpretation of scripture like the fundamentalists do. As far as the Bible's history--it didn't fall out of a tree intact. During the third century, Christian leaders sat down and hashed out the existing "canon" or what they believed to be divinely inspired books, from the other religious texts being circulated at the time, creating our current Bible. Roman Catholics have an additional 14 (or 15?) books in their cannon (the RC bible) that they believe are divinely inspired. During the protestant reformation, Martin Luther attempted to delete a number of books from the bible.

Here's what the other poster is trying to get you to understand--your argument against gay marriage is that it somehow violates your religious beliefs as a Christian. First of all, many other mainline Christian denominations and faith groups are supportive of gay marriage--mine is. You want the government to restrict civil rights to gay Americans on the basis that it protects YOUR beliefs and YOUR freedom of religion--which set of religious beliefs should the government choose to protect? Yours or mine? Do you think the government should be in the business of determining which faith any of us should follow, and should establish laws based on their tenets? That's why we have the 1st amendment.

The bottom line is that unless personal behavior harms the community at large or other individuals, there is no legitimate reason for the government to restrict it. Denying gay individuals the right to marry, etc. DOES cause them harm, but impacts you in absolutely no way, except that you simply don't like it. The same arguments that you're making now against gay rights are the same ones made by conservative churches that didn't support civil rights for African Americans.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Wow, you really like to pervert the meaning of scripture in order to write an example.

We will be judge in the same accordance by which we judge others, the scripture does not istruct not to judge at all, as I understand it. YMMV
As you understand it......read the link.
Easy Christianity: 11. Judge Not!
Not even going to dignify the rest of your comments with a reply.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:31 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
Actually, that's called legal protection under the law. See, if gays start getting married... it won't force anything onto you. You aren't going to be forced to get married to the same gender. There's no forcing going on towards you.

Gay people have the exact same rights straight people do. I can't marry anyone of the same gender, either.
Quote:

Talking in absolutes about things that cannot be proven or disproven? You're silly.

Uh, God kind of DID say that rape, murder, and stealing is okay, so long as it was some tribe he didn't care for. Haven't you read the Old Testament?
Actually....he used Israel to judge other nations....but we aren't ancient Israelites, are we? Honestly...that argument makes you look dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Actually, most mainline protestants believe the Bible is the word of God, but to understand that word, it's interpretation has to be based in understanding the cultural norms of the time it was written--they don't support literal interpretation of scripture like the fundamentalists do.
Why bother then if you don't want to actually believe it?
Quote:

As far as the Bible's history--it didn't fall out of a tree intact. During the third century, Christian leaders sat down and hashed out the existing "canon" or what they believed to be divinely inspired books, from the other religious texts being circulated at the time, creating our current Bible. Roman Catholics have an additional 14 (or 15?) books in their cannon (the RC bible) that they believe are divinely inspired. During the protestant reformation, Martin Luther attempted to delete a number of books from the bible.
Very good. But the books aren't scripture because we have them in the canon...they're in the canon because they're recognized as scripture.
Quote:
Here's what the other poster is trying to get you to understand--your argument against gay marriage is that it somehow violates your religious beliefs as a Christian.
No...it really isn't. My argument against gay marriage is that I don't believe we should give special rights to people based on who they like to be intimate with. We all have the right to marry--it's just a question of who you want to marry.

Quote:
First of all, many other mainline Christian denominations and faith groups are supportive of gay marriage--mine is.
You should leave and find a real church then that actually teaches the word of God.
Quote:
You want the government to restrict civil rights to gay Americans on the basis that it protects YOUR beliefs and YOUR freedom of religion--which set of religious beliefs should the government choose to protect?
Nope. I want the same rights given to them that I have. The law should be blind to sexual preference.
Quote:
Yours or mine? Do you think the government should be in the business of determining which faith any of us should follow, and should establish laws based on their tenets? That's why we have the 1st amendment.
Irrelevant. Same gender marriage should not be legal for gay or straight.
Quote:
The bottom line is that unless personal behavior harms the community at large or other individuals, there is no legitimate reason for the government to restrict it. Denying gay individuals the right to marry, etc. DOES cause them harm, but impacts you in absolutely no way, except that you simply don't like it. The same arguments that you're making now against gay rights are the same ones made by conservative churches that didn't support civil rights for African Americans.
Try to compare apples to apples, ok? You're born black or white...but you can choose who you sleep with.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Irrelevant. Same gender marriage should not be legal for gay or straight.
You really should read your posts over for error, this just makes you sound dumb.
Now, leaving the irrelevancy of "religious convictions" out, please tell me why a segment of the population should be relegated to 2nd class citizen status.
They pay the same taxes, etc as the rest of us, so why?

Old 10-05-2010, 05:44 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,824,608 times
Quote:
Gay people have the exact same rights straight people do. I can't marry anyone of the same gender, either.
Oh, look at you, sidestepping the direct point.

Marriage these days is usually based on love. Sometimes it's because someone got pregnant so they rushed to the alter, but more often than not, it's love.

If you're in love with an adult of the opposite gender, you can get married. If you're in love with an adult of the same gender, what's the problem?

Quote:
Actually....he used Israel to judge other nations....but we aren't ancient Israelites, are we? Honestly...that argument makes you look dumb.
That argument is completely based on the law of your God. I just brought up the fact that the document you're hiding behind is quite bloody, ruthless and... immoral. You mad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies