Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 04:38 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,958,333 times

Advertisements

I'm not usually one for lawsuits, but this one is WELL deserved. I hope they take the city to the cleaners.

Family Suing NYC After Teen’s Brain Found In ME’s Office « CBS New York- News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and the Best of NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 04:52 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,537,357 times
Unfortunate but my question remains how is receiving money going to relieve their pain? Blood money if you ask me.
IMO this family is trying to take advantage of a situation and gain monetarily.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:21 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,116,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Unfortunate but my question remains how is receiving money going to relieve their pain? Blood money if you ask me.
They have actual real damages, the cost of exhumation and reburial. The "blood money" as you referred to it would only come in the way of punitive damages if a jury choses to reward them.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:25 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,627,727 times
Quote:
I have no problem with a judge making an example of NYC and making them pay. Perhaps they or another organization will think twice before doing something of this sort.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:26 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,757,153 times
My heart goes out to this family and they should sue. I wonder how many mroe people this has happened to. What a nightmare. Disgusting is right.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
They have actual real damages, the cost of exhumation and reburial. The "blood money" as you referred to it would only come in the way of punitive damages if a jury choses to reward them.
I will give you that, but I can guarantee you they will seek the punitive damages. I find it distasteful when families try to benefit monetarily from a loved ones death.
Making an example of the morgue so it won't happen again is fine. And if the family would donate the money to a charity or cause of their choice that's different. But I suspect this will not happen.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:25 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,116,850 times
Quote:
I find it distasteful when families try to benefit monetarily from a loved ones death.
When, through no fault of their own, people are harmed whether that harm is physical or mental what measures other than money does a civilized society have for compensating those individuals for the harm they have suffered?

I find it distasteful that is that people are so callously treated that they need to find some manner of recourse to begin with. Perhaps if the Medical Examiner's office having been notified of the error had bent over backwards, paying for the exhumation and reburial without ever being asked and offering the sincerest apologies their wouldn't have been a law suit to begin with.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:38 AM

Oh no, even if the ME had apologized and offered to pay believe me there would still be a law suit.
I have dealt with these issues in a previous job and believe me it does not matter how sorry, sensitive or careful a company is there are always people standing with their hands out.

Do we know that the ME did not apologize or offer to pay for the exhumation and reburial?

Their loved one is deceased. Having his organ on display at a morgue was unexcuseable and upsetting for the family but again I ask how is money going to help? It is blood money.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:04 AM

88,760 posts, read 85,140,408 times
And once again the good old New York Post announced this story on Saturday with their typically lurid headline: :"NO BRAINER" next to a photograph of the kid.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:33 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,005,789 times
Stealing body parts, especially from young people, is a problem that seems to growing. Their healthy organs can be sold on the black market. Makes me wonder what else did the ME took from the young victim.

I fear the day is coming soon when family members may actually have to be a witness in the autopsy room to avoid pilfering of their loved ones' organs and other body parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies